Author Topic: Cheap upgrade for your multimeter, a pet peeve of mine corrected  (Read 11128 times)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Cheap upgrade for your multimeter, a pet peeve of mine corrected
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 05:37:47 pm »
Yes, students with the latest designer clothes, bling, fancy cars, latest phones, flash a lot of cash, party all the time..... but cannot afford to pay fees or buy books, and do not come to lectures that are "too early" or "too late" or "other reason not mentionable here".

Offline RamboJj

• Contributor
  • EE/biomed Student
    • FloridaStreetScene
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 12:38:26 am »
Just take the bike instead of the car and save a few tanks of petrol and maybe a few weekends no beer, and you can make an investment that gives you joy for years. ;-)

But indeed, if you're a student it will be a lot of money, but, hey, the good news is, your time will come. When I was a student i also could only buy the most cheap meter, and in the 70's that was much more exensive as now ( to bad they most times broke down faster as i had money to buy another, but at college only two or three guys in our class had a car, today it seems every student has one, and a iphone, ipod and a lot of other exensive stuff so then it s natural a Agilent multimeter is out of range)
LOL, take a bike... I live no less than 10 miles from civilization so yeah.... bike isn't going to happen. Unless it's my motorcycle but even then I have far too many books to carry to classes to take on the bike.

I bought both of them before I decided to go back to school and I'm kind of regretting it now... I haven't bought a beer in the last IDK how many weeks now. As for the rest... yeah no, I have a laptop that was bought by the program that is paying for my school and my galaxy S3 that my parents and brother hooked me up with to go back to school. other than that all my funds go to my car, right now I need 1200 to fix it up and get it working better. Trying to get a loan for that and it's proving to be a royal pain in the butt to get approval.

Yes, students with the latest designer clothes, bling, fancy cars, latest phones, flash a lot of cash, party all the time..... but cannot afford to pay fees or buy books, and do not come to lectures that are "too early" or "too late" or "other reason not mentionable here".

LOL, I wouldn't mind some new clothes, a nice watch and a nice big wad of cash. Maybe then I might be able to get my car fixed without a loan....
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:41:20 am by RamboJj »
Extech EX330, X-Tronic 6040 rework/soldering station and a hole bunch of other junk...
-Jeff personal site / blog JjP

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 01:04:34 am »
In holland it is very nomal to go to school by bicycle. Including books. I had to drive 15 km to school and did that 8 years. My un is 13, next year he goes to a school 10 km from here, on a bicycle. Then 4 years 40 km ( one way) first two years by 40km/h moped, last two on an old Honda CB550 ( worked two years for that, costed my 800 dolar, summer and winter, rain and snow.

But you still have a car and a motorbike, wow, wish I could afford that back then. You study electronics ? Is a multimeter then not more important than a car and motorbike ? Sell he car, use the motorbike. Save on gass and a you do not need the loan. Plenty off time later to buy a car ( i have 3 motorbikes and 4 cars now, but most are oldtimers, oldest is from 1936). A motorbike ( or rather trike) is still my main transport
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline RamboJj

• Contributor
  • EE/biomed Student
    • FloridaStreetScene
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 02:18:50 am »
In holland it is very nomal to go to school by bicycle. Including books. I had to drive 15 km to school and did that 8 years. My un is 13, next year he goes to a school 10 km from here, on a bicycle. Then 4 years 40 km ( one way) first two years by 40km/h moped, last two on an old Honda CB550 ( worked two years for that, costed my 800 dolar, summer and winter, rain and snow.

But you still have a car and a motorbike, wow, wish I could afford that back then. You study electronics ? Is a multimeter then not more important than a car and motorbike ? Sell he car, use the motorbike. Save on gass and a you do not need the loan. Plenty off time later to buy a car ( i have 3 motorbikes and 4 cars now, but most are oldtimers, oldest is from 1936). A motorbike ( or rather trike) is still my main transport
I'm sure that's a great thing there but around here the roads are not conducive to bicycles. The longer roads that I have to travel are 2 lanes (one each direction) and have no bike lane and the ditches off the side of the road are quite deep. So yeah, I'm not going to ride a bike there regardless. Working ERs and medical fields in general for the last 15 years I have seen far too many bicycle accidents that leave some severe lasting damage.

Also I just looked at google maps, it's 12.5 miles to the campus which in Kilometers that would be 20.12Km and no matter how you look at it it's just no good (the main reason being the safety of bikes on rural roads in my area)...  I would like to be able to sell the car but living in my state during the summer it will rain every day at all times of day for weeks. I'd sell the motorcycle but that's my only real enjoyment in life right now and with what I owe on it would really be pointless (0% interest though). Though paying for the car is getting to be quite the pain in the @#$@@#$@#$%@#@#$, fill in a few words in there, lol. Basically if I don't get the school loans soon I'm going to have to sell the bike and probably anything else I can, which isn't a hell of a lot. Though I've been considering turning off my cell for a few months as well.

The other problem around here is that there is no public transportation, so can't even take a bus on bad days either.

It was all fine before I decided to go back to school... I had no issues then. I already sold off my other 2 cars just before starting classes up a yar and a half ago. I don't have much left to go.... LOL. So it's going to be loans from here on out I think.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:21:10 am by RamboJj »
Extech EX330, X-Tronic 6040 rework/soldering station and a hole bunch of other junk...
-Jeff personal site / blog JjP

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 03:10:45 am »
Nice to see this staying on topic...... :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf