Author Topic: Chemi-con caps made in China?  (Read 509 times)

Offline Russ314Topic starter

• Contributor
Chemi-con caps made in China?
« on: February 02, 2020, 11:14:05 pm »
So I'm re-capping an amplifier, and, like many of you (I'm presuming), I used Digikey's parametric search to strip away anything that wasn't Japanese. In other words, I just left the "-cons" (Ruby, Nichi, Chemi...).

After looking at the invoice, however, it appears that one of the Chemi-cons is from China. Is this correct?! I ordered two different Chemi-con caps, both from the same series (KY), and both almost identically sized (3900uF/16v and 4700uF/25v). It doesn't make sense to me that one is from China and the other is from Japan.

This is particularly vexing for two reasons:
1. Digikey doesn't list the COO on the product page; you ONLY find out where the part is from after receiving the invoice.
2. My country is run by idiots, and therefore, Chinese parts cost more (tariffs and whatnot).

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
Re: Chemi-con caps made in China?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 12:14:08 am »
Many manufacturers have factories in various locations. In one instance I had to track down some issues that included researching the supply chain of a particular Panasonic capacitor. I found out that over the years the factory location changed. In this case there were not any problems with the Panasonics made in China. Across several samples spanning 10 years, including NOS parts, LCR meter and frequency sweeps didn't find much difference in either capacitance or dissipation.

I expect your parts should be fine, given that they come through an authorized distributor of a well-regarded manufacturer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf