Author Topic: Choosing between a master's degree in controls and one in electronics  (Read 1314 times)

Offline shaheansarTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi guys. I have just graduated with a bachelor's degree in electronics and communications from India. I have received admits from TU Delft for their degree in Systems and Controls and the University of Sheffield for their degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
I want to working in mixed signal design and motor control. Which degree should I go for? I realize this is a pretty open ended question but I'm currently stumped as to which one to choose so I'd like to hear your opinions. Thank you for your help :)
Course Details for TU Delft - https://studiegids.tudelft.nl/a101_displayProgram.do?program_tree_id=28105
Course Details for SheffieldU - https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/courses/2023/electronic-and-electrical-engineering-msceng

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
I'd go for 2 years in Holland.

Sheffield curriculum states what you can expect - seemed to me quite a tough year and not so well joined up.

Whereas Delft left it open, whilst stressing the interdisciplinary content and delivery.  :-+
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

• Contributor
I'd go for 2 years in Holland.

Sheffield curriculum states what you can expect - seemed to me quite a tough year and not so well joined up.

Whereas Delft left it open, whilst stressing the interdisciplinary content and delivery.  :-+

The course at TU Delft is much tougher from what I've heard from Alumni.
Most are telling me to go with TU Delft. I'm just concerned if I'll get to work in the fields of my interest with a degree in controls. Otoh Sheffield's course has modules specifically on advanced DSP and motor control. Will I be able to work in mixed signal design with a degree in controls?

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
It sounds like you may have answered your own question -

if the choice was between two modules that explicitly fit your requirements and one tough overall course with unknown credibility in your chosen field.

Don't rule out other factors, though - and try to get further clarifications  :-+ good luck with your choice

Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
My nephew (German) just graduated from Delft with a masters degree and he liked the university a lot.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
A one-year MSc program in Sheffield?! I did not know that was even possible under the harmonized "Bologna" degree scheme. Maybe I have missed something, but I would expect some raised eyebrows when you apply for a job in the future.

Hence my preference would be the "proper" 2-year program in Delft. It might also make it easier to get access to the larger EU job market afterwards if you are already in an EU country, if that's relevant to you -- but I am not sure about the details.

• Contributor
A one-year MSc program in Sheffield?! I did not know that was even possible under the harmonized "Bologna" degree scheme. Maybe I have missed something, but I would expect some raised eyebrows when you apply for a job in the future.

Hence my preference would be the "proper" 2-year program in Delft. It might also make it easier to get access to the larger EU job market afterwards if you are already in an EU country, if that's relevant to you -- but I am not sure about the details.

Hi ebastler
My question is still simply will I get to work in the fields of my interest with a degree in controls?

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
Email the profs who are listed as teaching each course, ask for mroe details of what you'd get to do. List your areas of interest and ask if the course aligns reasonably well with them. If none of the profs from one uni reply to you then you might get a hint that the profs there see themselves as "above" actually communicating with students and you might pick the other place. If your areas of interest do align closely with one of the profs you email they'll jump at the chance to reply and try and attract you in, in the hope you'll do your masters project, or a future PhD post the masters, in their research group.

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
I think controls are one of the most flexible and widely applicable ares of electronics, given that it's mostly about filters, transforms and stability criteria. I don't think there's any area of electronics where it isn't relevant, and if some future employer doesn't realise that, they're not someone you want to work for.

Added to that, Britain is currently being run by a bunch of morons who will take any opportunity to grab money, discriminate against other nations or ingratiate themselves with their racist supporters. Avoid.

That said, Sheffield is one of my favourite cities and one of the most attractive regions (the peak district). So if you must, yeah. no worries on that part. Delft is also attractive and interesting with an excellent industrial heritage, but is short on mountains.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 02:51:57 pm by artag »

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor

... but is short on mountains.

Well, they don't even have hills.  :-DD

The university in Delft is rated to be one of the best in Europe.
I am sure with a degree from Delft you will get any job that fits your abilities.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: shaheansar

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
Re: Choosing between a master's degree in controls and one in electronics
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2023, 10:50:16 pm »
Hardly on topic, but while Sheffield isn't quite "mountainous" it is more so than pretty much any other English city, infact I think it has the highest average altitude for any UK city, and definitely the highest single point within a city's limits. Peaks of 500 or so metres isn't true mountains, but its much nicer geography than a lot of the rest of England.

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2023, 06:07:48 am »
Bonjour, We studied 2 semesters of CS Eng with Dr.  Vincent DelToro, who wrote the book Principles of Control System Engineering   in 1960. Still valid!
https://www.amazon.com/Principles-Control-Systems-Engineering-McGraw-Hill/dp/B0000CKS38

control systems are fundamental to biology, chemistry, aviation, HVAC, and many other fields besides electronics.

UK is less and less viable for living and school.

U Delft is very respected and in a better environment , economic, weather, and perhaps political than UK.

Just my opinions,

Jon

Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

The following users thanked this post: shaheansar

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2023, 07:51:39 am »
I think controls are one of the most flexible and widely applicable ares of electronics, given that it's mostly about filters, transforms and stability criteria. I don't think there's any area of electronics where it isn't relevant, and if some future employer doesn't realise that, they're not someone you want to work for.

Added to that, Britain is currently being run by a bunch of morons who will take any opportunity to grab money, discriminate against other nations or ingratiate themselves with their racist supporters. Avoid.

That said, Sheffield is one of my favourite cities and one of the most attractive regions (the peak district). So if you must, yeah. no worries on that part. Delft is also attractive and interesting with an excellent industrial heritage, but is short on mountains.

So I will be able to work in mixed signal design? I have some experience on the analog side. It's a massive investment as an international student (about 83K EUR living costs included since the average duration in which students finish the course is 2.5 years). I will invest that much in myself but I need to be sure that I get to work in the field I love. The UK degree is literally half the cost.

Online hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2023, 04:57:17 pm »

Although stability of feedback circuits is essential, I do not think a S&C masters is much about electronics. At all.

In fact, at Delft, the S&C progam is listed under mechanical engineering. I think there is very little in the way of electronics, except that it can be part of an implementation like a robot. The electronics may be your vehicle of study, but not the core study.
You may get to the implementation of some control loop on an embedded platform of choice, e.g. uC, uP, DSP, FPGA, or a mix. But if that side of the job is the itch you want to scratch, you could as well study a program like embedded or computer engineering, or EE if you're into mixed signal and analog design as well.
At UTwente the S&C program is inside the domain of EE and CS, however, its being renamed to robotics I think.

But these master programs are not always carved into stone. I expect most programs to list a fraction of mandatory courses, and a major part electives. In my master I completed 125EC (5 more than needed), of which 40EC was grad project, 30EC was core courses, so that means about 55EC(almost 1 year) of electives. I did an embedded systems master, but took courses from EE (like analog courses preparing for IC design) up to SW (machine learning and information theory). A lot of students that are into a systems orientated master did that.

The (potential lack of) electives is one of the problems I would have with a 1year masters: a decent grad project easily takes 30-40EC(most students at my university take more time because of the academic freedoms that are fun and interesting, yet time consuming, to chase down). With 1yrs that only leaves 20-30EC of other course material, of which I expect a majority is mandatory.
But I can't be sure as I haven't read the syllabus of the Sheffield university. But I would expect most engineering masters to be 2 years.

Also, I would expect a S&C program to be about engineering systems(hej its in the name of the program). You want to dive much further beyond a standard control loop like a PID, for example, systems with multiple in/outputs, or feedforward, or make actuators that allow for haptic feedback and compliant motion that is safe to use by/around humans. It looks to me like a relatively math heavy masters that is applicable to a wide range of industries.
Sure electronics is full of feedback and feedforward systems, but my impression is that many electronics engineers just want to build something relatively quickly that works, is easy to get stable and cheap to implement. If more study is possible and necessary, then that is a field of specialization on its own (e.g. a thesis for someone else).

But that are my 2 cents :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 04:59:17 pm by hans »

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard, shaheansar

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf