Author Topic: Choosing between two good options. Some advice needed  (Read 736 times)

Offline beenosamTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Choosing between two good options. Some advice needed
« on: October 26, 2021, 01:14:01 am »
I was going to post this in jobs but this isn't about a job ad, I just need some advice. If it should be in jobs, please move it mods!

I've recently finished several interviews and I have some offers on the table. Two of the offers are very intriguing for me and I'm not sure which I should choose. They both pay roughly the same with similar benefits.

I am in my early career phase (I have about a year and a quarter of experience) so I am trying to figure out what doors will open for me based upon my choice. Any insight would be very helpful. If it matters: my previous experience was in embedded systems design (hardware and firmware).

Job #1 is an embedded firmware position at a relatively well-known company that designs digital audio equipment. I will be working with prototyping/optimizing DSP algorithms in Matlab then implementing them in embedded situations and doing other typical embedded coding stuff. I am leaning more towards this role because the company seems to have more opportunities for mentorship available for me. I may eventually get to be involved in hardware stuff here too a bit.

Job #2 is at a start up company that is designing surgical equipment and medical robotics for neurosurgeons. The position is an embedded hardware (pcb design) + firmware role. I would be dealing with hardware design and firmware for medical stuff and it seems very cool. However, I think in this role a lot of the responsibility falls on me independently and I am not sure if there will actually be much access to mentorship in reality.

Overall, I don't think I could go wrong with either of them, but I think Job #1 may be better because I am early in my career and the mentorship is something that I think could propel me further. I think I may end up struggling on Job #2 but if I do a great job it could be push me far too. It's a difficult choice to make because both of them are cool and I think both open the door to many opportunities.

Any insight or advice would be helpful! I have to make my decision soon but I keep getting stuck between these two.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Choosing between two good options. Some advice needed
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 01:45:56 am »
With startups it is important to understand where in the product cycle they are. Especially if you are not getting equity and especially with anything having to do with medicine. Those startups can either work really well or fold literally in a day due to failing to get some government certification.

If they have some devices already in the field and approved, it can be a great opportunity. Safety requirements for both hardware and software for devices like this are quite high and that knowledge is valuable.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: beenosam

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 02:16:23 am »
Some thoughts:
* Early in your career you probably should be trying to broaden your skill set.  This makes it easier when you eventually transition to another job.
* PCB layout is not the same as electronics design engineering, or software.  It's a good skill, but a different specialty and not really "engineering".
* Mentorship is valuable, especially early on.
* Stability of the company is important, but far from being the most important.  You want to build your skills, reputation, and contacts, and will probably go through several jobs and industry evolutions before you find your niche.  But pick a job that makes you want to go to work.

As far as stock options (etc.), that's another discussion.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 02:55:20 am »
With startups it is important to understand where in the product cycle they are. Especially if you are not getting equity and especially with anything having to do with medicine. Those startups can either work really well or fold literally in a day due to failing to get some government certification.

If they have some devices already in the field and approved, it can be a great opportunity. Safety requirements for both hardware and software for devices like this are quite high and that knowledge is valuable.

They have some products currently in testing with some hospitals. I would not be getting any equity out of the company nor would they offer it. As I understand it, they are looking for new engineers because they lost several key staff members to other companies.

Some thoughts:
* Early in your career you probably should be trying to broaden your skill set.  This makes it easier when you eventually transition to another job.
* PCB layout is not the same as electronics design engineering, or software.  It's a good skill, but a different specialty and not really "engineering".
* Mentorship is valuable, especially early on.
* Stability of the company is important, but far from being the most important.  You want to build your skills, reputation, and contacts, and will probably go through several jobs and industry evolutions before you find your niche.  But pick a job that makes you want to go to work.

As far as stock options (etc.), that's another discussion.

That's what has me stuck between the two positions.

Job #1 has more stability, mentorship (I'd be working with a DSP engineer with more than a decade of experience), and structure. This is also a company that would stand out on a resume. I would be primarily in embedded firmware stuff but I would occasionally be involved in hardware stuff. I'm also interested in DSP because I play music and am interested in writing digital audio plugins. I am also interested in DSP stuff on FPGAs as well.

Job #2 is a bit less stable, I'd have to be very independent, and I'd have a lot less structure. This is a smaller company with less resources and less people. But I would be able to deal with firmware and hardware. I'm interested in this because I think it is a fascinating field and contributing to this type of project would be awesome. I am afraid that I could get stuck working on something in this position and be unable to figure it out since I would have minimal access to a knowledgeable senior engineer. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

As far as I can see, both are very good opportunities. Maybe I should negotiate with each and just choose the one that gives me a higher compensation?

« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 02:59:37 am by beenosam »

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 03:10:59 am »
This is also a company that would stand out on a resume.

That should be a major factor in your decision if you are early career.

Maybe I should negotiate with each and just choose the one that gives me a higher compensation?

Two jobs rarely have the same level of stress, uncertainty, benefits and other factors--good and bad--so making the comparison mainly on minor salary differences is probably not the way to go.  And if they are not in the same location, there's cost of living to consider.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline WattsThat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 03:45:15 am »
As I understand it, they are looking for new engineers because they lost several key staff members to other companies.

I was leaning toward #2 until I read the above. Losing key staff members to other companies screams bad, poor, or otherwise crappy management. Good people don’t leave good jobs, especially in mass.

You’re just getting started. Don’t jump into the fire pit of having to deal with management that would run things so poorly that key people would leave. Start with some good experiences, leave the drama for later in life when you’re better prepared for it.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 03:50:47 am »
As I understand it, they are looking for new engineers because they lost several key staff members to other companies.

I was leaning toward #2 until I read the above. Losing key staff members to other companies screams bad, poor, or otherwise crappy management. Good people don’t leave good jobs, especially in mass.

You’re just getting started. Don’t jump into the fire pit of having to deal with management that would run things so poorly that key people would leave. Start with some good experiences, leave the drama for later in life when you’re better prepared for it.

For what it is worth, I think the reason they left may have been for a larger payday since they went to non-startup companies.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf