Author Topic: Cloning WinXP onto new hardware - workable?  (Read 6773 times)

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
Re: Cloning WinXP onto new hardware - workable?
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2019, 10:50:17 am »

I used to do the trick where you install a service pack and then change the drive at the point where it says it has to reboot to finish the install.

The reason being that the service pack update forces a hardware re-detect at this point in the process, so you can get it to boot when it would have otherwise BSOD.

Not quite with you on that one  :-// 

If you "change the drive at the point where it says it has to reboot to finish the install..." how does the C: or main Boot Drive drive get ummm...Service Packed?

Where do the files go? or does it default back to C: on the reboot ?

Handy to know if it works, and on any PC

EDIT: I'm assuming it means a physical drive swap from one PC box to another PC  :-[

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 10:57:23 pm by Electro Detective »

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: Cloning WinXP onto new hardware - workable?
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2019, 10:50:17 am »
Sorry, i should have been clearer.
Yes, exactly

I mean you swap the drive from it's current MB/CPU/RAM/VID hardware to a totally new one.
A lot of the time doing this on XP results in a BSOD or a windows activation error because it expects to find the hardware it was first installed on.
But if you do it during the service pack reboot it does a hardware redetect and doesn't have the problem,

Oh and if you're already on the latest service pack, so can't upgrade to anything, I have had good luck rolling it back to a past service pack using an old restore point and then replying the service pack.

From memory there is another way to force a hardware re-detect, i can't remember what it was but i do remember it being easier to just use the service pack reboot method.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 10:58:53 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf