Author Topic: Coders who use Linux. Suggestions for dark contrast text/src editor.  (Read 11784 times)

Offline Ed.KloonkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Hi.

Would really just like green on black simple editor but the standard editors that come with modern distros have annoying white background, black text.

In addition to Vim, what do you grey beards suggest using when you just want an editor with nice desktop copy/paste integration without resorting to a large DE suite?

Just for C and bash mostly and the odd config file.
iratus parum formica

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Re: Coders who use Linux. Suggestions for dark contrast text/src editor.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 12:39:22 pm »
gedit has themes you can configure. One default theme/colourscheme has dark grey background with light grey text (including syntax highlighting)

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 12:41:56 pm »
In addition to Vim,

Whadda ya mean "in addition to vim"? vim in an xterm is the pinnacle of text editors! ;)

In all seriousness. I use vim and pluma (the old gedit text editor from Gnome 2 in the current MATE desktop).
I find little I can't do with vim in an xterm and some drag/copy middle-click/paste action.

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 12:44:23 pm »
gedit has themes you can configure. One default theme/colourscheme has dark grey background with light grey text (including syntax highlighting)

Forgot about gedit. Just pulled this in from repo. Changed to color scheme to Oblivion. Walla. Thanks.
iratus parum formica

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 12:49:48 pm »
In addition to Vim,

Whadda ya mean "in addition to vim"? vim in an xterm is the pinnacle of text editors! ;)

In all seriousness. I use vim and pluma (the old gedit text editor from Gnome 2 in the current MATE desktop).
I find little I can't do with vim in an xterm and some drag/copy middle-click/paste action.

I've got by with vim when a video card went rogue or have had some disaster with X. Not my favorite.

Used (and liked) pluma before but had to give Mate the flick. It was changing settings against my wishes (and behind my back). Lightweight desktop I use causes pluma to pull in too much of Mate rubbish when installing it. So I gave up and have been using Leafpad.  :(

iratus parum formica

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 12:58:03 pm »
In addition to Vim, what do you grey beards suggest using when you just want an editor with nice desktop copy/paste integration without resorting to a large DE suite?

If you install gvim, it also installs a console vim with X11 clipboard support. Select the X11 clipboard as opposed to the usual yank buffer by prefixing the normal yank/delete/paste commands with "+

"+yy
"+dd
"+p
"+dab
etc
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 01:02:44 pm »
Used (and liked) pluma before but had to give Mate the flick. It was changing settings against my wishes (and behind my back). Lightweight desktop I use causes pluma to pull in too much of Mate rubbish when installing it. So I gave up and have been using Leafpad.  :(

Yeah, I'm seriously thinking about moving across to xfce. I used WindowMaker from about 96 to 2006 when I got sucked into to Gnome 2 in Ubuntu. Once that died I moved across to Mint Debian Edition with the MATE Desktop. Having said that, all my graphical VM's have always used xfce, and it's probably all I need. When I next do an upgrade I'll change, but at the moment it's all too hard.

I did a _load_ of software in gedit, and recently have also dabbled with bluefish, but I really do use vim for most of my work. Once I got used to the command structure it very quickly became second nature.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 01:09:07 pm »
Use nedit and adjust colors.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 01:09:25 pm »
Fwiw, I use kate which like any decent gui editor can configure it's colours to your desire (but dark on light for me). 

Have in the past used jedit, gedit, quanta, something else i can't remember, and if i go way back, nedit.

I prefer a simple editor to an overgrown ide, just give me a filesystem tree and syntax highlighting then stay out of the way.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 01:12:59 pm »

I prefer a simple editor to an overgrown ide, just give me a filesystem tree and syntax highlighting then stay out of the way.

Exactly, bro.  :-+
iratus parum formica

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 01:53:53 pm »
I have friends who swear by Sublime Text, which is fairly themeable, I think.

I am currently using Linux as my main OS but still have not found any GUI editor which I like as much as BBEdit on OSX which I have used for a very long time, and know really well.

I currently use Kate, Geany, JEdit, vim, for different things that I can do all with one tool with BBEdit. Would love to hear more opinions on what editors people prefer.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline FlevasGR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 02:06:33 pm »
http://www.sublimetext.com/3
It's almost free and opens instantly

Offline smjcuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 07:21:18 pm »
I use mg (microemacs). Lovely editor. Plus it comes with the wisdom of Theo DeRaadt:

http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.bin/mg/theo.c?rev=1.146&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 10:49:20 pm »
Emacs also had a nice yellow on dark green theme once.

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 10:50:58 pm »

If you install gvim, it also installs a console vim with X11 clipboard support. Select the X11 clipboard as opposed to the usual yank buffer by prefixing the normal yank/delete/paste commands with "+

"+yy
"+dd
"+p
"+dab
etc

Good idea!
iratus parum formica

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 10:56:55 pm »
I use vim for quick touch ups, edits, etc., mostly because it's easy to use with keyboard shortcuts and it opens so damn fast (and you don't need X), and I use emacs for bigger development.  I haven't yet found a reason to move to something else.

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 11:33:15 pm »
I use emacs in a terminal window, currently gnome-terminal.  No multi-color highlighting nonsense, no menus, plain black on white.

Font style, font size, foreground/background color preference, window size, etc. is all a function of the terminal window.

I also sometimes use zile.  Zile is a tiny emacs clone that's handy for use on systems with very limited resources (like linux running on an SBC), but it has enough features cloned that it's also usable for everyday stuff.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 11:41:10 pm »
just hook up an old VT-220 terminal to a serial port and redirect the console input. problem solved.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 11:50:18 pm »
just hook up an old VT-220 terminal to a serial port and redirect the console input. problem solved.

hahaha.

I have tweaked a bash script from across a couple of continents.

iratus parum formica

Offline johnh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 01:23:43 am »
Fwiw, I use kate which like any decent gui editor can configure it's colours to your desire (but dark on light for me). 

Have in the past used jedit, gedit, quanta, something else i can't remember, and if i go way back, nedit.

+1

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 01:29:23 am »

Some of those old terminals had great keyboards.  And with the control key in the right place for us emacs users.

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 04:57:38 am »
In the editor wars, I know of three large camps:  The emacs crowd, the vi (vim) crowd, and the "whatever GUI flavor of the week" crowd.  Both the emacs and vi crowds like the fact that their editors are extremely powerful and customizable.  Both of these camps invest a bit of time learning the tricks of their editors, and committing elaborate sequences to muscle memory so that complex tasks become automatic.  Both editors are available on virtually any distribution of almost any OS from the past 25 years or so.  Certainly DOS, Windows, any flavor of Linux, Unix, or MacOS don't present a problem.

There are some other editors that are virtually as powerful and customizable as vi or emacs, but most of these aren't as easily available on all platforms.  Some charge money, others are bundled with an unusual operating system.

The "whatever GUI flavor of the week" people tend to switch between editors, and don't use very powerful commands.  For example, they mostly don't search and replace using regular expressions.

The emacs and vi users may argue the merits of their respective editors, but the arguments are somewhat pointless, as they never end up convincing someone to switch sides.  Each side has too much invested it learning the way their editor works.

I won't tell you whether I prefer emacs or vi, but I will say that I've been using the same editor for around 25 years, on a boatload of hardware platforms and operating systems.  I've used it on a genuine (hardware) VT-220, as well as on xterm windows, and various other terminal windows.  I can set the colors to whatever I want.  I can program it to do anything I'd want an editor to do, and more.  I think it was worth the effort to learn one editor well.  And I can stumble around in the other major editor, as well as any GUI editor, too.

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 07:10:46 am »
Just change the colors of your terminal. On gnome I like messing with the trasparency too. Then vi/emacs/whatever...

Offline briselec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 09:45:07 am »
I prefer codeblocks but for quick and dirty editing or for use in a console I like the editor built in to Midnight Commander.

Offline miceuz

• Frequent Contributor
    • chirp - a soil moisture meter / plant watering alarm
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 06:23:12 pm »
Sublimetext.com is what you might find acceptable
 Loads of cool tricls useful foe code editing.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 06:33:55 pm »
Sublimetext.com is what you might find acceptable
 Loads of cool tricls useful foe code editing.

It's very expensive for something that's outclassed by gedit or kate :/

Are you and FlevasGR affiliated with the product by any chance?
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 06:46:48 pm »
Can we just fucking stop with the "you say you like something so you must be paid" thing already? Does the GNOME Foundation pay you to shill for their products?

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 06:49:03 pm »
Can we just fucking stop with the "you say you like something so you must be paid" thing already? Does the GNOME Foundation pay you to shill for their products?

GNOME or KDE don't charge $70 a seat a year for a text editor. And please link to another example of where I'm doing what I should "stop already."

EDIT: I also didn't say they were being paid, just asking if they were connected n any way for clarification. If I start pushing Suse anywhere I'll make it clear I used to be affiliated with them :P
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 06:53:15 pm by Mechanical Menace »
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline JBaughb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 09:13:10 pm »
Sublime text is my favorite coding app. Dark backgrounds and color coded text for every language i've ever used  I can't go back.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2015, 12:07:50 am »

hahaha.

I have tweaked a bash script from across a couple of continents.
if you get a smart terminal like a vt535 those support multiple windows. you can even get a VT-LAN40. That supports as many windows as you want and also supports ReGis and Tektronix graphics.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2015, 04:49:37 pm »
Sublime Text on Linux, Windows or OSX.

Have VIM compatible mode. 

Takes a little learning, but is awesome.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf