Author Topic: Color Laser Printer WIFI (Although I'm old!)  (Read 5559 times)

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Color Laser Printer WIFI (Although I'm old!)
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2020, 09:18:17 pm »
Can some one PLEASE fix the horrible formation of the Text:
That user always puts in unnecessary line breaks. I’ve mentioned it to him a few times but it’s fallen on deaf ears.

The following users thanked this post: Lord of nothing

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2020, 09:31:50 pm »
Look at the printer with WireShark or a good network router...  These networked printers are sending massive data to numerous IP's as you use them.  I suspect this data includes information about any other wifi devices it spots as well as other devices on your network.  I had an HP MFP series connected to the internet and it sent more than 500MB in a month, and with limited use.  Data went to IP's belonging to facebook, google, twitter, etc as well as some unidentified IP's in Asia region.

I won't connect printers to the internet anymore.  There is no privacy laws to keep them from doing this as long as they claim the data is "anonymized", though it can be used to trace directly to you with easy data analysis.

Thanks to everyone for all for your replies!  However, to 'angrybird'...
I'm generally wary of what is connected to my WIFI, but my Brother HL-L3230CDW doesn't seem to
do anything 'behind the scenes'.  I utilize 'specialized' software that monitors ALL communications on
my router by any device/user, beyond the 'normal' monitoring people know of/use. There is no data
usage other than the expected handshaking to my other devices, and zero in sleep mode.

And yea, to others in general...  we wouldn't use but a fraction of what some people might in an office
or business environment, and there's no worries about 'clogged' inkjets between use, nor with spending
the fraction of the normal cost of 'propitiatory' toner cartridges when/if we need them after years!!

Mind you, I never thought about the claims of 'better' Photos with an Inkjet!!  I suppose it must also
depend on the specialized glossy/mat/sheen papers used???  Even with the past's Inkjets, it always
seemed cheaper/better to take a memory-stick to 'Office-Works' etc, & pay mere CENTS for a print!!
However, aren't they just using Laser Printers anyway??? (All-be-it a high quality one?)
Quality photo printing on ANY type of printer is reliant on using high quality materials, both the papers and the inks. (They need to be not only high quality, but also correctly matched. Not all papers work well with all inks, and vice versa, which is why every printer manufacturer makes and recommends photo papers for their printers.)

Laser isn’t optimal for photos, even today, since it uses comparatively coarse dots and only the 4 basic colors of toner. Photo books use laser printing, but it looks like a printed magazine, and the gloss is sometimes weird. Inkjet not only allows for finer dots at more arbitrary locations, and in many cases allowing for multiple dot sizes. But above all, often uses additional ink colors to achieve better smoothness. Some printers have used 11 different inks, with various shades of cyan, magenta, and gray, and sometimes added red, green, or blue, in addition to the standard CMYK. And it’s comparatively easy to scale up an inkjet mechanism from letter size up to paper 6 feet wide. This is why inkjet has become THE standard for art prints, since you can get extraordinary detail and quality, yet still do it on a large print. (There are even bigger inkjets that can print banners and ads 12 feet wide, but at lower resolution since those things aren’t looked at from so close.)

The in-store printers are dye sublimation, which produces continuous-tone prints that have the same smoothness as traditional silver halide prints.

P.S. Lord of Nothing is absolutely correct. PLEASE stop inserting manual line breaks. They are not necessary in any way, and they destroy the layout when viewing on a phone.

Offline GlennSpriggTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2020, 12:20:52 pm »
To "Lord of Nothing"  &  "tooki"  (and who ever else...).
The line above, for example, & this one, is short!, so I hit ENTER.
I'm not trying to piss anyone off deliberately, and I guess I (wrongfully) assume that the VAST majority of peoples screens these days are at least 1024 wide now, (usually 'much' more!), although I admit that I did not consider the likes of Mobile-Phones...  I just personally dislike long continuous lines like this, where even my low-res laptop is 1366 wide, almost cramming Paragraphs into one line!!   ;D

I do often think about this, though...
Say I had a list like this, below, hitting ENTER after each one...
 1:  Theory about the Universe and Everything.
 2:  I'm getting old, but don't bury me yet, please!
 3:  I woke up on the right side of the ground this morning!
 4:  This line is longer, but I don't think about counting how many letters I've typed now before an auto line-wrap?
      (On YOUR screen... not mine!!)

Did item '4' above word-wrap???  For you, I wouldn't know. Sorry.
I just 'try' to keep things/text in neat Blocks. It's not my desire to offend...   :phew:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 12:34:35 pm by GlennSprigg »
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2020, 01:00:43 pm »
I'm not trying to piss anyone off deliberately, and I guess I (wrongfully) assume that the VAST majority of peoples screens these days are at least 1024 wide now, (usually 'much' more!), although I admit that I did not consider the likes of Mobile-Phones...  I just personally dislike long continuous lines like this, where even my low-res laptop is 1366 wide, almost cramming Paragraphs into one line!!   ;D

I do often think about this, though...
 3:  I woke up on the right side of the ground this morning!
 4:  This line is longer, but I don't think about counting how many letters I've typed now before an auto line-wrap?
      (On YOUR screen... not mine!!)

Did item '4' above word-wrap???  For you, I wouldn't know. Sorry.
I just 'try' to keep things/text in neat Blocks. It's not my desire to offend...   :phew:

If you are reading text on a phone,  rotating it 90 degrees to landscape view is often a better overall experience.

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2020, 01:20:17 pm »
[...]
I just personally dislike long continuous lines like this, where even my low-res laptop is 1366 wide, almost cramming Paragraphs into one line!!   ;D

[...]

Hi Glenn,

Regarding general formatting, my advice would be: Splitting a text into meaningful paragraphs is fine, of course. Hit Enter twice to start a new paragraph. But trying to manually end lines within a paragraph is a bad idea.

Yes, pretty much everyone has at least 1024 pixels per line on their displays today. But some of these displays nevertheless show a limited number of words per line, to keep the words readable. This is the case for small mobile devices, and even for large desktop monitors operated at large text sizes, for those of us with impaired vision.

Regarding the topic of lists: That's what the "Insert Ordered List" button in the forum's text editor is for! It inserts a template for a numbered list. It will be formatted in a way to ensure optimum line breaks for every display and browser when readers view it later -- similar to how the browser breaks the lines in a regular paragraph, depending on the available space. There is also an "Insert Unordered List" button, for lists with bullet points.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2020, 07:58:21 pm »
My display is 1920x1080, but I also use a 27" monitor which sits on a normal size desk. If the browser was using the full screen I'd be constantly turning my head right and left to read each line. That gets uncomfortable after a while, so instead the browser is only around 60-70% of full width. With all the empty space most pages insert this ends up appearing about the same as a normal sized hardback book. Inserting unnecessary line breaks causes many lines to end abruptly in the middle of the page.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2020, 08:30:16 pm »
@GlennSprigg, just to give some illustration regarding the manual line breaks delimiting continuous text.

This is how your last post is shown on a 1280x720 screen  :-+
943030-0

This is how your first post is shown on the same screen above :(
943026-1

This is how your first post is shown in a Galaxy S9 cellphone on its 2990x1440 screen :--
943040-2

That is how your last post is shown in the same screen above.  :-+
943036-3
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:34:28 pm by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2020, 06:31:55 am »
The thing that jumps out at me is that a 2990x1440 is displaying maybe half the information than can reasonably be fit on a paltry 640x480 display. The low information density trend drives me nuts, modern UI design reminds me of Duplo blocks for kiddies, resolutions get higher so they make UI elements bigger. What's the point of such a high resolution display if not to fit a lot of content on it at once?

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, tooki, Gregg, GlennSprigg

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2020, 10:49:39 am »
Add my name to the annoyed list.

If long lines bother you, resize your browser window or increase the zoom setting.

Adding new lines might make it look good to you, on your display, but you don't know what resolution/font setting other people use, which is likely to mess it up.

If you refuse to change, you risk being put on many ignore lists.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2020, 12:41:24 pm »
The thing that jumps out at me is that a 2990x1440 is displaying maybe half the information than can reasonably be fit on a paltry 640x480 display. The low information density trend drives me nuts, modern UI design reminds me of Duplo blocks for kiddies, resolutions get higher so they make UI elements bigger. What's the point of such a high resolution display if not to fit a lot of content on it at once?

eBay is a good example.  On my 1920x1200 display here,  I can see exactly 3 listings when the browser is maximized.   In the old days, you would see probably a dozen listings on a much lower resolution monitor...   but the "white pixel supremacist" designers seem to have a real phobia about using pixels that have any colour other than white...

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2020, 04:56:18 pm »
I completely agree with everyone who hates these modern “airy” layouts.

I’ve never understood people who get big displays and then just run everything maximized, with huge margins, especially once we went widescreen. (And it’s those people who are responsible for many such websites, since designers don’t want their sites to be “ugly” on such widescreen displays.) I run a windowed OS because of being able to... drumroll... have windows!* Running full-screen negates this!

The only things I EVER use full screen for are video playback, games, and flipping through photos.

*I find it particularly perplexing that Windows is such a maximized-focused GUI. Like... you’re called Windows, why do you not encourage people to actually use windows, and not full screen or tiled apps?!?

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2020, 07:02:30 pm »

The problem is that many "ordinary" computer users get lost if there are too many windows open...  or too much information on the display for them to take in.   So Microsoft (and others) have the issue of needing to cater to the lowest common denominator...   

Sadly, what seems to be happening, is that "skilled users" are now being ignored...

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2020, 01:33:13 am »
I agree that the number of pixels is quite wasted with such little amount of information, but I also see the issue from another angle.

The cellphone screen is simply too small - cramming more pixels there will forcefully have some sort of redundancy, given that you need to cater to both the eye (high resolution) and the finger (a ridiculously low resolution). Add aging to the mix and you get clashing requirements that should have been solved with an appropriate scaling/zoom natively integrated into the oS (and not by every developer such as the browsers, for example).

One additional aspect is that the extra pixels per character bring better readability (as well as the use of greyscale/RGB subpixel). Coming from a long tradition of reading books in palmtops and smartphones, I can tell my eyes feel quite comfortable with the newer screens. Sure, age does not help and I now have difficulty with the smaller fonts.

In time: I also hate the plastered and toy-like appearance of modern OSes and GUIs (I had a rant somewhere in EEV about one of the latest updates to the Android of my Samsung Galaxy S9, but I can't seem to find it).
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2020, 01:48:31 am »
you’re called Windows, why do you not encourage people to actually use windows, and not full screen or tiled apps?!?

It is simple. Because their CEO, whose name i can't pronounce, likes it that way personally.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2020, 02:16:32 am »
In the 90's a 640x480 display would typically be on a 14" screen. Those same pixels today on a 2990x1440 display would need a 65" screen. A bit too big for the average desk. Extra pixels have to be used just to make things look good and text readable, so I don't think a proportional increase of information density is possible, but it could be much better than it is.

Many game companies have failed miserably at providing some kind of text scaling for high resolution screens resulting in information that's all but unreadable if you play on a TV. Web and OS designers seem to be at the other end of the spectrum, exaggerating the size of elements far too much. Youtube is an example.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2020, 06:13:24 pm »
In the 90's a 640x480 display would typically be on a 14" screen. Those same pixels today on a 2990x1440 display would need a 65" screen. A bit too big for the average desk. Extra pixels have to be used just to make things look good and text readable, so I don't think a proportional increase of information density is possible, but it could be much better than it is.

Many game companies have failed miserably at providing some kind of text scaling for high resolution screens resulting in information that's all but unreadable if you play on a TV. Web and OS designers seem to be at the other end of the spectrum, exaggerating the size of elements far too much. Youtube is an example.

I have no difficulty reading small text on a high resolution screen. I was running 800x600 on a 14" monitor, later 1024x768 on a 15", then I got a 17" and was initially 1280x1024 and later a better one that could do 1600x1200. For those with less acute vision it would be nice to be able to zoom in, or just use a lower resolution display in the first place. I've always liked having very high information density though and am endlessly annoyed by the current trends. There's no point in having all those pixels if you're not going to make use of them.

Many years ago when we used one of the earlier messenger apps to communicate at work I could keep it down in a little window in the corner of a 1280x1024 display and still have space to have a spreadsheet open and some notes. In more recent years the messaging apps got bigger and bigger and now with Slack I have it as narrow as it will go on whatever crazy resolution my employer issued Macbook Pro is and it still consumes probably 1/5th of the display. It should be half that size or less.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 06:15:08 pm by james_s »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, tooki

Offline daveyk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2020, 06:32:06 pm »
"My Missus & I got sick of using/buying cheap $30 inkjet printers."

Not laser, but I would add my 2 cents.  I purchased two Epson ET-3750 EcoTank Printers.  One for upstairs and one for my small business.  The one for my business has printed through two ink refills in less than a year.  That is a huge amount of printing, a lot of it in High Quality double-sided mode.  It is about $300-$350 (I forget), but the ink is dirt cheap.  You refill the ink tanks from large bottle of ink.  In high quality mode, it is a bit slow, but the printing is probably about as good as a laserjet, not as nice as a wax, sublimation printer, but I am very happy them.

I am now interested in a laserjet printer, probably monochrome is fine.  I primarily want it for printing circuit board PCB transfers, but I am thinking I may get a color one that can do double-sides for use in the business too.  Toner cartridges cost is the main reason I didn't get a laser printer.  It seems you found one with inexpensive cartridges on ebay for your printer.  I have to read through the rest of the messages and see if you mentioned the model of the printer you choose. 

Is there a good color wax printer out there like the Xerox we had a work?  I forget the model but it had 4 or 5 WAX cubes instead of a toner cartridge.  It had the best printout I have ever seen in a color printer and it was as fast as a laser.  It did need services a couple times a year, but it was used hard, probably printing 200-500 pages a day.  I would love one of those, or similar, for here at home. LOL, I can only dream.  I wonder if WAX printers are okay for PCB transfer paper?  I would highly doubt it.

Dave

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2020, 06:46:50 pm »
Is there a good color wax printer out there like the Xerox we had a work?  I forget the model but it had 4 or 5 WAX cubes instead of a toner cartridge.  It had the best printout I have ever seen in a color printer and it was as fast as a laser.
I vaguely remember those. People did love them but I haven't heard of one in a very long time.

I am now interested in a laserjet printer, probably monochrome is fine.
Our setup here in the home lab is a monochrome laser and a color inkjet. We generate far more monochrome output than we do color, so the advantages of a laser printer (lower cost per page, no smearing, better tolerance of various media types, etc.) make good sense.

The reason this thread caught my eye is that we just replaced our LaserJet 1200 after 20+ years of flawless performance. The rule of thumb for SOHO laser mechanisms is they are designed to yield 12-15K pages over their lifetime. I printed out a status page on the 1200 just before its mechanism literally disintegrated, and we were over 48K pages! We definitely got our money's worth out of that printer.

After copious research, we replaced it with a Canon LBP226dw. For under $300 delivered it is easily 2-3X faster than the 1200, does duplex printing which will slash our paper consumption, includes Ethernet (no more dependence upon a specific host PC so everyone else can access the printer!), etc. It's better in every way. Longevity remains to be seen but as I think we paid about $1K for the 1200 we're already 1/3rd the price. The toner cartridges are readily available at every big box office supply store plus all the online shippers, so no problem with consumables.

Meanwhile the USB-connected ink jet continues to crank along when we need color images. Having one of each type of printer is really the best answer for our situation.

Offline daveyk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2020, 06:48:52 pm »
"My HP M254dw color laserjet is about the size of a breadbox, it's smalle"

About $320 on Amazon.  A full set of high yield cartridges is $700!

I just don't know what the correct decision is.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2020, 06:53:53 pm »
"My HP M254dw color laserjet is about the size of a breadbox, it's smalle"

About $320 on Amazon.  A full set of high yield cartridges is $700!
I just don't know what the correct decision is.

Maybe reading and quoting less selectively can help with your decision:  :P

My HP M254dw color laserjet is about the size of a breadbox, it's smaller than those stupid all in one printer/scanner units that are all the rage and was under $300 when I bought it. A set of OEM cartridges is kinda spendy but aftermarket is available and so far I'm still on the set that came with it.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2020, 08:24:06 pm »

Not laser, but I would add my 2 cents.  I purchased two Epson ET-3750 EcoTank Printers.  One for upstairs and one for my small business.  The one for my business has printed through two ink refills in less than a year.  That is a huge amount of printing, a lot of it in High Quality double-sided mode.  It is about $300-$350 (I forget), but the ink is dirt cheap.  You refill the ink tanks from large bottle of ink.  In high quality mode, it is a bit slow, but the printing is probably about as good as a laserjet, not as nice as a wax, sublimation printer, but I am very happy them.

I am now interested in a laserjet printer, probably monochrome is fine.  I primarily want it for printing circuit board PCB transfers, but I am thinking I may get a color one that can do double-sides for use in the business too.  Toner cartridges cost is the main reason I didn't get a laser printer.  It seems you found one with inexpensive cartridges on ebay for your printer.  I have to read through the rest of the messages and see if you mentioned the model of the printer you choose. 

Is there a good color wax printer out there like the Xerox we had a work?  I forget the model but it had 4 or 5 WAX cubes instead of a toner cartridge.  It had the best printout I have ever seen in a color printer and it was as fast as a laser.  It did need services a couple times a year, but it was used hard, probably printing 200-500 pages a day.  I would love one of those, or similar, for here at home. LOL, I can only dream.  I wonder if WAX printers are okay for PCB transfer paper?  I would highly doubt it.
I think your printer knowledge is kinda outdated.

The wax inkjets (inkjets is what they were, after all!) were never the best print quality. What they had was awesome speed and great economy provided they were never switched off. (Priming the system after powering up consumed enormous amounts of wax, more than 10% of a refill per warmup cycle, making them exclusively suitable for fairly high-volume office operations — they were totally unsuitable for home use). Anyway, their print quality was matched or exceeded by aqueous inkjet 20 years ago, and their speed matched by even cheap lasers 15 years ago, so Xerox stopped making them a few years ago. (I bet they would have worked very well for PCB transfers, though!!!)

Dye sublimation printers only survive as dedicated printers for photo printing, mostly for in-store kiosks and little mini home photo printers. In their previous domains of photography and prepress proofing, dye sub printers have been completely replaced by aqueous inkjet and color laser.

Whether you go for inkjet or laser, the best advice I can give you is to not go cheap on the printer itself. The cheaper the machine, the more expensive the consumables. There is no meaningful difference in print cost between laser and inkjet per se: it depends entirely on the model. (As I've explained in other threads, cheap lasers have completely moved to the razor-and-blades model, as cheap inkjets have always done. Meanwhile, for B&W office printers and things like mass mailing printers for utilities, inkjet now has the lowest page costs.) Inkjet will ultimately give the best print quality for photos, while laser has the advantage of having no ink to dry up, so much better for sporadic use.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2020, 12:55:26 am »

Dave

Keep in mind also that color laser is not good for PCB transfer projects - the "ink" is not the right type.  It needs to be monochrome, and there are some brands of monochrome printers (and aftermarket toner) that won't work...   do your homework before buying something for PCB work.

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2020, 07:35:16 pm »
... After copious research, we replaced it with a Canon LBP226dw. For under $300 delivered it is easily 2-3X faster than the 1200, does duplex printing which will slash our paper consumption, includes Ethernet (no more dependence upon a specific host PC so everyone else can access the printer!), etc. It's better in every way. Longevity remains to be seen....

Longevity may prove to be the deciding factor. The P2040dw is a similar model from Kyocera if you ever need another brand to try. I will look at the Canon if my P2040dn (a dw without WiFi) does not last.
-John

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2020, 11:33:22 pm »
Longevity may prove to be the deciding factor.
Agreed, and it will be hard to match the 1200's 48K page count. Back in their heyday, HP bought the laser mechanisms straight from Canon and built their printers around them (I interviewed at the HP printer division in Boise and learned many interesting things!). If the 1200 is any indication, I'm hopeful that same Canon longevity is still in the new printer!  :)

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2020, 09:49:39 am »
I am pretty sure my first laserprinter, from QMS, used a Canon engine.

On paper, the Kyocera P2040dn/dw is meant for a serious amount of use, with a maximum 50 000 pages per month duty cycle, and drum+wear items replacement every 100 000 pages. Extending the warranty from 1 to 3 years, roughly doubles the price of the printer. Assuming their customers average 25 000 pages a month, that suggests a product design life of perhaps half a million pages.

The design life in years is another and the more important matter. I assume it is at least three years. I just hope that much lighter use does not shorten the printer's useful life, as it did with my father's old, Tektronix color laser printer.
-John

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf