Author Topic: Combo hot air and bench top fire station  (Read 505 times)

Offline JoebeazelmanTopic starter

• Contributor
Combo hot air and bench top fire station
« on: December 04, 2023, 06:16:47 pm »
I stumbled upon this hot air station:

https://www.atten.com/product/st_862d_e_high_power_hot_air_station_with_fault_alarm_function

It appears to be a 2-in-1 hot air station and fire station complete with hot air/fire hose. Who needs the fire department when you can have your very own right on your bench! They also plan to release a police station model with a blue siren. The hot air wand turns into a baton for arresting suspected burglars from walking away with your BGA during a reball.  :-DD

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: Combo hot air and bench top fire station
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 06:33:17 pm »
*Someone* at Atten must have set their bench on fire with its predecessor nonalarm station . . .

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 07:58:59 pm »
I would take a guess this is to improve QC, you might have a technician whose only job is to heat up some heatshrink mindlessly waving the wand over heatshrink one part at a time, not realising the gun isn't hot any more.  So the supervisor can see the alarm siren blaring and sort the issue out.

I mean if you pay peanuts you get monkeys after all.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 09:56:21 pm »
"Fault Alarm  Function,the warning light will sound and flash to indicate when there is a fault."

Maybe its more for automated or robotic setups? Someone could use the hot air in a cheap production line and run it at 100% duty cycle. So you'd know when the heater element fails after a few months/years and shut down the line as soon as you see it.

I can't quite make out the lettering on the terminal strip on the back, there may be more functions there that would tell us more.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2023, 10:22:56 pm »
I agree it looks funky, but this is no fire station. Just a warning light. Not unusual on industrial equipment, just not sure it's really that useful on something that can't be operated other than manually. Those big lights are made for being seen from a long distance.
(This kind of lights are usual on equipment that can operate automatically.)

Offline u666sa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2023, 10:14:36 am »

So it is hooked up to 24 volts and ground, so it will flash when that thing is on.  :-//

I'm not sure about this one.  :-//

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2023, 10:26:19 am »
its a good idea, the hot air station with a button on the handle piece have a hair trigger pushbutton. If you set it down on the bench for a sec and get up, even rolling the tool over will trigger it. weller....

the one you place back on the magnet to turn off are also liable for getting stuck and stuff, especially if sticky from spilled flux that caught some wire scraps.

IMO these things are like 10x more hazardous then a soldering iron for starting fires.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf