Author Topic: Components you wish existed  (Read 52528 times)

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Components you wish existed
« on: June 27, 2014, 10:50:39 am »
So what parts have you wanted to use, but nobody makes them.... 
Here's a start..

8 Mosfets in a single SO /TSSOP18 package, common source, similar spec to SOT23-6 duals
A 74HC138 or HC595 with 1A P-channel source drivers on the output 
Small FPGAs in 48 and 64 pin QFP or QFN
SMD DIP switches that operate from the underside through a slot in the PCB
A mid-range microcontroller with a buttload of RAM (>64K) but without the cost of a ton of expensive flash & high-end peripherals, in a 48 or lower pin count QFP/QFN (Microchip PIC32MZ looks very interesting, when it appears)

And of course a component with exactly the same characteristics as a scope probe , for those times when probing fixes  a problem

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
Re: Components you wish existed
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 10:53:20 am »
I'd quite like a component with the same characteristics as a finger, as that cures so many RF woes.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 10:58:37 am »
just visit the local morgue, though the emi compliance guys might get a bit uppity about 5 human finger tips glued in place on your product,

Offline ecat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 11:25:53 am »
just visit the local morgue, though the emi compliance guys might get a bit uppity about 5 human finger tips glued in place on your product,

But the Australian government would let it pass until you poked one in someone's ear
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/warning-over-usb-chargers-after-woman-dies-from-apparent-electrocution/?topicseen

:-DD
( to soon?)

All I need right now is a time machine, or something which makes money or jobs. These sound like hardware problems, come on you guys  ;)

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 12:28:21 pm »
8 Mosfets in a single SO /TSSOP18 package, common source, similar spec to SOT23-6 duals
Supertex used to make them in DIP18,  the AN01xx.

Offline Wh1sper

• Regular Contributor
    • Zockertown
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 12:31:58 pm »
And of course a component with exactly the same characteristics as a scope probe , for those times when probing fixes  a problem

True! I think it might be possible to build this as community projekt relative easy

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 12:33:08 pm »
Power transistor's or IGBT's that have the Emitter on the mounting / heatsink and not the Collector for better and direct cooling without a 1000 V insulation needed.

May be it is not possible to build?

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: Circlotron

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 12:47:59 pm »
A basic MCU similar to a AVR/PIC but which ran at an internal clock speed of 1+ghz.
16/32bit core would be better but i'd be totally happy with an 8bit core.
Price would be <$10 in qty of 10

The raw power of 1+ghz would be quite useful in cases where you would otherwise have to go FPGA or full on ARM CPU with associated parts (DDR/flash etc).

Oh, and it would be nice if you could buy realistically priced 0805 resistor arrays.
I would love to have a PCB with footprints that can take 10 individual 0805 resistors/caps OR a single 10 block array (like 10x 0805 glued together with typical per resistor spacing).

Being able to put a single 10 array resistor/cap block on the PCB would speed up hand assembling so much yet still allow for picknplace of individual parts.

0805 arrays seem very hard to find and cost $$$
0604 are a bit easier to get but still seem far too expensive.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:57:31 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline AlanR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 12:48:34 pm »
For me it would be a single chip solution for controlling high frequency design 3-phase AC induction motors that has the following features:

1) 450 volt MOSFETS that handle 10 amps continuous for each half bridge (three half-bridges for 3-phase motor) that would allow high frequency design 3-phase motors up to 1200 watts mechanical power.

2) Flash memory to program in motor characteristic parameters.

3) Rectifier bridge built in.

4) Current fold back at 50 C on chip and current fold back option for motor if motor will have RTD sensor embedded in the windings.

5) Input voltage range of 85 to 250 volts AC single phase.

6) Motor current limiting

7) Input for tachometer option for close looped feedback to give AC motor fine torque control from zero RPM to base speed RPM.

8  ) Power factor circuitry built in.

9) Input for potentiometer or hall effect sensor for speed control (programmable defined  by flash memory)

10) Filter capacitor pins to hook up filter capacitor.

11) Finally, a proper MCU that has enough compute horsepower to do the motor vector calculations for the AC motor and the options)

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 12:57:33 pm »
A MEMS XY mirror that does not cost an obscene amount of money.
An EINK display with a temperature range of -40 to 80.
A supercapacitor/battery with zero leakage.
A two+ output synchronous DC DC converter with a digital control interface (you set up the output voltage(s - one could be fixed to power the initial logic) via, say, I2C, within some range), that accepts 50V DC. Needn't be very high current, 500mA on each channel.
SMD geiger tube.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 12:58:58 pm »
A 74HC138 or HC595 with 1A P-channel source drivers on the output 
SMD DIP switches that operate from the underside through a slot in the PCB

I'd really like the FETs (or even BJTs!) in a single package, and not even 8, maybe just 4 if you want to get the current on the pins to reasonable levels... Cmon guys!
High current shift registers would be nice too, yes.
Reverse mount dip switches would be really nice too, you can put config switches and stuff on a topside load board but have them accessible from the bottom.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 01:03:36 pm »
oh, i thought of another one.

Single chip DVB-T transmitter

You feed HDMI into the chip and out of it you get DVB-T RF ready for power amp stage.

eg..
HDMI input - > low latency h264/mpeg encoder --> dvb-t wrapper --> low power RF output.

(I would say built in 400mW RF output stage, but i think that would be pushing things a bit far  :-DD  )

Such a chip would REVOLUTIONIZE the fpv rc community.
We could finally fly FPV in HD with a video system built from the ground up for signal penetration through objects and to be immune to multipath interference
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 01:08:16 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 01:23:25 pm »
A basic MCU similar to a AVR/PIC but which ran at an internal clock speed of 1+ghz.
16/32bit core would be better but i'd be totally happy with an 8bit core.
Price would be <$10 in qty of 10

The raw power of 1+ghz would be quite useful in cases where you would otherwise have to go FPGA or full on ARM CPU with associated parts (DDR/flash etc).
Have a look at XMOS

Oh, and it would be nice if you could buy realistically priced 0805 resistor arrays.
I would love to have a PCB with footprints that can take 10 individual 0805 resistors/caps OR a single 10 block array (like 10x 0805 glued together with typical per resistor spacing).

Being able to put a single 10 array resistor/cap block on the PCB would speed up hand assembling so much yet still allow for picknplace of individual parts.

0805 arrays seem very hard to find and cost $$$
0604 are a bit easier to get but still seem far too expensive.
Why would you want them as big as 0805?
Plenty of cheap smaller arrays.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 01:27:31 pm »
oh, i thought of another one.

Single chip DVB-T transmitter

You feed HDMI into the chip and out of it you get DVB-T RF ready for power amp stage.

eg..
HDMI input - > low latency h264/mpeg encoder --> dvb-t wrapper --> low power RF output.

(I would say built in 400mW RF output stage, but i think that would be pushing things a bit far  :-DD  )

Such a chip would REVOLUTIONIZE the fpv rc community.
We could finally fly FPV in HD with a video system built from the ground up for signal penetration through objects and to be immune to multipath interference
Don't see why it would need to be single chip - I suspect the main issue is power due to the processing needed.
Broadcast formats are targetted at low cost decode and good compression without worrying about latency.
For FPV you could probably design a different encoding scheme that would be a much better fit - e.g. low latency, optimised for low encode effort and a graceful degrade in resolution as error level increases

Offline Codemonkey

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 01:41:27 pm »
I'd quite like a component with the same characteristics as a finger, as that cures so many RF woes.

They used a Peperami on one of our products at the test house  :-DD

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 02:10:12 pm »
A flux capacitor of course! and a 1.21GW PSU as well.

Offline jlmoon

• Supporter
  • If you fail the first time, keep trying!
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 02:19:36 pm »
A P-Channel mosfet with N-Channel electron flow characteristics (really low Rds on value) so I can switch on the + rail without having to cheat the system.

or.... The perfect transistor!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 02:34:51 pm by jlmoon »
Recharged Volt-Nut

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 03:15:46 pm »
old RGB video amplification and processing ICs that are only used for CRT arcade monitor repair. 

It is insane what people charge for NOS these days.  I will put myself through any education necessary, paying any amount required, and learn to design and manufacture my own circuit before I pay $80 for a 6-pin video processing IC from some sweaty fatass who is sitting on the world's stock of that particular IC laughing whenever he sells one.

Offline nuno

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 03:24:09 pm »
"Component tape". You know, like glueing tape. You tweezer out an SMD component from the tape, you press it against the pads at its final PCB location and you're done!

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 03:25:38 pm »
"Component tape". You know, like glueing tape. You tweezer out an SMD component from the tape, you press it against the pads at its final PCB location and you're done!

that's called Z-axis tape.  It exists, but isn't meant for production, just prototyping.  https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12042

Offline jahonen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 03:36:00 pm »
Real-world equivalent of SPICE E-primitive, ideal 4-terminal differential amplifier with infinite bandwidth, zero delay, user configurable gain without any external components and perfect isolation  :-/O

Regards,
Janne

Offline Precipice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 04:09:01 pm »
I'd like a LED that runs at a useful brightness on <1.8V, without needing to faff around with a driver transistor. SOT23 with an external power feed and maybe a constant current stage to save a resistor would do. A tiny voltage doubler (only needs to deliver 5mA or so, and could clock pretty fast) would maybe do the trick. 
Ideally, though, IR to get the bandgap down far enough to run native from 1V8 (or 1V5), with some frequency doubling magic on top to shift it into visible.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 05:02:13 pm »
My ultimate component, Alladin lamp with the genie that grants any 3 wishes, and my current wishes are :

1. Make the wishes unlimited  :-DD
2. Undo feature for any wishes that I've made except for no.1  :palm:
3. -spare wish- not going to use it yet  >:D

C'mon guys, only components that is possible to make or manufacture with the current technologies or materials.

Offline nuno

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 09:37:07 pm »

that's called Z-axis tape.  It exists, but isn't meant for production, just prototyping.  https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12042
Ah!! Almost there, now they just need to sell parts with the tape already on the "pins" :)

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 09:48:52 pm »
Real-world equivalent of SPICE E-primitive, ideal 4-terminal differential amplifier with infinite bandwidth, zero delay, user configurable gain without any external components and perfect isolation  :-/O

Regards,
Janne

Good luck finding design work after that part comes out  ^-^

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf