Author Topic: Components you wish existed  (Read 52531 times)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Components you wish existed
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2014, 02:00:54 pm »
Telecoms will use 2 fibres, as the optical splitters required to make a bidirectional link on a single fibre are going to be quite expensive, and a hard to align item with a high insertion loss. Multiple fibres in a single jacket are cheap, reliable and have built in redundancy as well in case you have a snapped strand along the cable run.

Short distance links you can use a LED each end and run one as a photodiode and the other as emitter, and arrange the protocol so as to do the half duplex required.

Offline TMM

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2014, 02:03:51 pm »
A 74HC4066 that doesn't have a retarded pinout - place all the enable pins next to each other please!

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2014, 02:22:07 pm »
A 74HC4066 that doesn't have a retarded pinout - place all the enable pins next to each other please!
And make the input thresholds 1V regardless of supply.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2014, 02:50:18 pm »

And make the input thresholds 1V regardless of supply.

The 74HCT4066 is not close enough?

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2014, 02:57:59 pm »
explain a bit more why you need open source pmos ? that doesnt make sense to me..
Ok strictly speaking, high-side outputs.
mc33880
VNI8200
UCN5891
UCN5890

there are manymore...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2014, 03:01:45 pm »

Well, it matters when you don't run Windows (or Linux).  It would just be convenient for me personally not having to mess around with a platform I don't otherwise use, and hopefully the community could at least manage some minor tweaks to the tools too.
i take it you are on a MAC then ? sorry bub. wrong computing platform.
All the FPGa tools are winodws / linux. Even Apple designs their boards using windows.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2014, 03:09:20 pm »
They are not discussing discrete memristors, fixed configuration multi memristor integrated devices,
-snip-
Imagine a world where all the resistors, or all the capacitors, or all the inductors were taken away, and you could only get such fundamental parts as integrated into premanufactured integrated components. The concept is absurd,
and what exactly would you do with a single memristor ? Besides do you have any idea about what is needed to read and write it ? the currents and voltages you are dealing with are extremely small. reading the state is destructive : state needs to be written back. it is an impractical device off-chip. i doubt that hwat you have constructed is the same as what hp is building on-chip.

as for a world without passives... coming sooner than you think. severalcompanies already offer integrated passives as in 'a single package containing all r and c and l required'. these are used for further miniaturisation and space saving. tablets and smartphones already use these.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 03:14:11 pm by free_electron »

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2014, 03:26:46 pm »
explain a bit more why you need open source pmos ? that doesnt make sense to me..
Ok strictly speaking, high-side outputs.
mc33880
Way more than a simple source driver, lots of pins, expensive
VNI8200
36 pins for 8 channels , expensive
UCN5891
UCN5890
discontinued, unavailable

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2014, 04:41:43 pm »
They are not discussing discrete memristors, fixed configuration multi memristor integrated devices,
-snip-
Imagine a world where all the resistors, or all the capacitors, or all the inductors were taken away, and you could only get such fundamental parts as integrated into premanufactured integrated components. The concept is absurd,
and what exactly would you do with a single memristor ? Besides do you have any idea about what is needed to read and write it ? the currents and voltages you are dealing with are extremely small. reading the state is destructive : state needs to be written back. it is an impractical device off-chip. i doubt that hwat you have constructed is the same as what hp is building on-chip.

Presumably operation would be scaled up with larger devices to provide lower noise and larger signal-to-noise ratios.  I would use them for low drift or non-volatile integration.

I have to point out that this function does occasionally show up in part failures where a resistance element fails as a mechanical junction and the resistance very roughly varies by the integration of the current through it.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2014, 09:24:22 pm »
a bunch or rejections

but i don;t quit :)

here's a whole table of em SPI interface. sources, sinkers, floaters and combinations (floaters gove you both source and drain , so you tie em where you want em)

http://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/channel.html?channel=ff80808112ab681d0112ab69dfb9034d#goto_producttable

http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/product.do?id=AMIS-39101

the 5891 is still buitl by micrel :
http://www.micrel.com/index.php/products/power-management-ics/driver-arrays/latched-drivers/article/9-mic5891.html

Offline Precipice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2014, 10:26:17 pm »
36 pins for 8 channels , expensive

It also has a 'hilarious' bug, where, at elevated (but still well within rated) temperature, commands from the SPI bus get acknowledged and can be read back, but don't get passed to the output drivers until the temperature drops, when they suddenly change to what they should have been.
Thanks, ST. As ever, designing in one of your parts turns out to be a mistake. (I'll check the actual part number tomorrow. It was, I think, the automotive rated version of that chip).

Edit: L9733XP is the (very similar) part with the mentioned bug. Grr.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 07:49:13 am by Precipice »

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2014, 04:00:15 am »
A component I would love to see, is an op-amp, in a triangle shaped package, with the output pin on the point of the triangle, the inputs on the opposite side, and the power supply pins coming out of the other two sides.

That would be fantastic for prototyping stuff. I've wanted one like that for years :D :-/O.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2014, 04:05:12 am »
A component I would love to see, is an op-amp, in a triangle shaped package, with the output pin on the point of the triangle, the inputs on the opposite side, and the power supply pins coming out of the other two sides.

That would be fantastic for prototyping stuff. I've wanted one like that for years :D :-/O.

:-+
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2014, 04:53:13 am »
A triangle wouldn't fit on a breadboard very well though.  They could be marked with the pinout on the DIP, at least -- or something like that.  But, who would ever want to do that...

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Druzyek

• Contributor
« Reply #114 on: June 30, 2014, 05:26:28 am »
1. A shift register like a 595 that can do 1, 0, and Z on each pin, not just Z on all pins or none.

2. A cheap TRNG chip. Measuring a transistor in reverse mode seems convoluted and according to some is really not that random.

3. A voltage regulator in TO-220 or similar that can give -27v from 3.3v for LCD contrast without needing 10+ external components.

A mid-range microcontroller with a buttload of RAM (>64K) but without the cost of a ton of expensive flash
I have also thought for a long time that 256k RAM and 8k flash makes more sense than the other way around. A few k is enough for a bootloader to load code from an SD card or EEPROM to run everything from RAM to get around flash wait states. FRAM is a neat idea too but the MSP430s TI is making with it now top out at 8MHz.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #115 on: June 30, 2014, 05:53:20 am »
1. A shift register like a 595 that can do 1, 0, and Z on each pin, not just Z on all pins or none.

Look at SPI GPIOs -- you're probably doing something like SPI to drive it, already.  If it needs to be chainable, not sure.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #116 on: June 30, 2014, 06:38:42 am »

I think a 3D printer and the application of some ingenuity could make that a reality fairly easily.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #117 on: June 30, 2014, 01:46:13 pm »

I think a 3D printer and the application of some ingenuity could make that a reality fairly easily.
Repackage a sot23 opamp

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2014, 01:51:54 pm »
FRAM is a neat idea too but the MSP430s TI is making with it now top out at 8MHz.

Except for the 23 chips which run at 16MHz, and the 10 which run at 24MHz..

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2014, 11:36:06 am »
Button switch signal conditioner for PIC/other embedded.

-8 channel in 1 IC.
-opto isolator per input.
-5V/12V on open contacts for light in the button.
-RC or other filtering, debounce, limiting the signal to 5? Hz.
-Schmitt trigger with 10%/90% for eliminating ingress.
-Output buffer capable of lighting a led, relay and uC.
-configurator pins for settings of filter, invertor, trigger,...

No rocket science, just an all-in-one for (long distance) buttons in your home, you robot, you machine.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2014, 12:08:21 pm »

+1 for this
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Precipice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2014, 12:59:03 pm »
+1 for this

By the time you're at that level of complexity, shouldn't you just move to an IO expander chip?
I tend to use
http://www.nxp.com/products/interface_and_connectivity/i2c/i2c_general_purpose_i_o/PCA9538PW.html
but SPI versions also exist if you don't like i2c or want more speed, and there are many, many  flavours. They're cheap, too.

Offline jlmoon

• Supporter
  • If you fail the first time, keep trying!
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2014, 02:55:04 pm »

Cut out some triangle shaped perf-board with those solder pads on the bottom, solder your favorite op amp in the middle and fashion some stick pins off the bottom add some periph parts, power and enjoy.  Whooo Hoo!
Recharged Volt-Nut

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2014, 06:21:06 pm »

Cut out some triangle shaped perf-board with those solder pads on the bottom, solder your favorite op amp in the middle and fashion some stick pins off the bottom add some periph parts, power and enjoy.  Whooo Hoo!

+1,
 Except it's not Whoo Hoo, it's Bob's your Uncle on this site.

Offline babysitter

• Frequent Contributor
  • pushing silicon at work
« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2014, 06:47:13 pm »
All chips shall have programmable multiplexers allowing to exchange any pin position. Except power rails. They need to be on adjacent pins.
I'm not a feature, I'm a bug! ARC DG3HDA

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf