Author Topic: Confused about which LISN to build or buy?  (Read 294 times)

Offline HiggsfieldTopic starter

Confused about which LISN to build or buy?
« on: January 24, 2024, 12:36:51 pm »
I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum?

I'm confused about what type of LISN I need to do pre-qualification FCC Part 15 testing for a 12VDC powered circuit up to about 10A. I'm thinking of either building or buying a used one.

1. I see that there are different models available.  Can I used a 5uH LISN or do I need a different configuration?

a. 250uH/50uH
b. 5 uH.
c. 50 uH

2. And then there is the frequency range I've seen on devices like 10KHz - 400Mhz, and 100KHz - 400MHz. Will either do?

3. Further do I need a LISN for both the power and ground lines, or can I use a single channel and switch them between the two lines?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Offline GridWork

• Contributor
Re: Confused about which LISN to build or buy?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 02:11:23 pm »
I used to do some emi testing a couple of decades ago, I don't remember which type of LISN we used, but we did have two, one for power and one for ground. The test installation was on a bench covered with a copper sheet for a solid ground plane. The 50uH seems familiar, the enclosures for the LISN's were large grey boxes about 6" x 6" x 10" or so.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Confused about which LISN to build or buy?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 03:05:11 pm »
The only way to know for sure is to dig up the relevant test requirements. The type of LISN required should be in there.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf