Author Topic: Contemplating a YouTube series  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Dan MoosTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Contemplating a YouTube series
« on: December 16, 2018, 06:36:12 pm »
I've been mulling over doing a video series on YouTube. I'm doing a 7400 logic based VGA controller for a Homebrew 6502 computer I've built. The project is 80% operational right now.

My  goals for this:

Foremost, I've found nothing helps me understand things solidly as much as getting to where I can clearly explain it to others.

Next, I was able to find very few resources on doing VGA from scratch in hardware, without programmable logic on the web. The closest one finds are FPGA projects that roughly do what I am doing discretely. I realize I'm doing it the hard way. It's for hobby, education, and the plain challenge of it

Here's what my obstacles are:

I lack the depth of knowledge of a Shariar.
I lack the charisma of Dave.
I lack the sense of humor of AvE.
I have a face made for radio!

So I'm just trying to gauge interest in such a thing here. Imagine the videos don't suck, are well divided into focused episodes on specific parts of the project, and as a whole cover the subject in depth. Would you Earth this?

Also, I would use a lapel mic, but have no decent camera as of yet. To be honest, a big part of this post is to see if it's worth buying one (I'd get the most modest thing that didn't suck)

Waddaya think?

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Re: Contemplating a YouTube series
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 07:30:19 pm »
I'm a sucker for old technology and would like to see what you have come up with.    Good luck with the new channel.

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 09:11:08 pm »
Well I would suggest doing everything with a camera pointed at your desk, screen etc... Its worth trying, likely wont cost you much other than some time. If it does not work out, if you dont find your flow, at least you tried.

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 09:53:54 pm »
Dan, what is the worst that could happen? You would get few views and you would have been able to verbally explain to the ether your project, knowledge and thought process. You would have learned the entire process of creating a video, editing for time or content and uploading and processing using YTs system. Do you have to have many views in order to accomplish your goal? If your goal is to do as stated above, would 1 single view accomplish it?, 100?, 1000? 10,000?

When I started my YT channel, my goal was mixed, but I wanted to commit my thoughts and knowledge to posterity so that I could gather my thoughts and experiences in one single place, one single thought or action at a time. My videos are eclectic because I have done so many different things. I have very few views, however, I have not promoted my channel in any way, shape or form. I have not even submitted my channel name here to the YT Channel list on EEVBlog. Not because I don't want my channel to grow, but because I don't need it to grow in order to accomplish my goals. The thoughts and actions that I want are there, I am not done making videos yet and am content that what I create is what I intended.

Also, you do not need much of a camera to create videos. A nice cell phone camera will work just fine as long as you light and frame your work properly and have good audio. Take a look at how different successful YTers frame their videos. For instance, the full body and face view that Dave uses, because quite honestly, he converses a lot and his body language is a crucial part of his content. Also, look at the fully opposite and stark style of Big Clive, where he simply points his camera down at his desk or workbench and talks in the background, rarely making a facial showing. Concise information is all that is needed for a show and tell type video that you are talking about. If you want to throw a little bit of the light side of your personality, let it be natural and un-forced. Otherwise, stick to the subject at hand. Use a conversational voice rather than drone on in monotones.

If, at the end of the day you are unhappy with your product, erase all your video from channel, shut it down and either re-think your approach or abandon the idea altogether, no harm, no foul. If you take the approach that I mention above, you will have very little monetary investment, only time, well spent in my case, because I learned something by making the effort, so far anyways.

As a tip, you will need some video editing software, which Vegas 15 is available for a very small amount, search recent posts on EEVBlog for the link, I think it was $25 US, which is a nice bargain.
PEACE===>T

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 10:50:06 pm »
I've been mulling over doing a video series on YouTube.

#metoo

I'm doing a 7400 logic based VGA controller for a Homebrew 6502 computer I've built. The project is 80% operational right now.

My  goals for this:

Foremost, I've found nothing helps me understand things solidly as much as getting to where I can clearly explain it to others.

Next, I was able to find very few resources on doing VGA from scratch in hardware, without programmable logic on the web. The closest one finds are FPGA projects that roughly do what I am doing discretely. I realize I'm doing it the hard way. It's for hobby, education, and the plain challenge of it
I'd watch it.

Performing on camera is not something everyone can do. All those things are true of me also. So far it has stopped me. Along with general laziness and finding a quiet place and time to do the recording. I think everyone can share what interests them with someone else even if they are half a world away.

Waddaya think?

No-one will watch it if you don't make it. There are enough retro-grouches here who would find it interesting. People like to see, and be inspired by, others making something even if they have no intention of also making it. Just look the the popularity of cooking shows.

Just do it.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 11:04:41 pm »
One mistake many people seem to make is that  they're busy contemplating what they should or shouldn't do. The only viable way to get anywhere seems to be to jump in and see if it works. Even if people tell you they will or won't like something, they regularly behave in rather different ways than they say they would. Long story short, get to it! It's safe to say you can expect an underwhelming response for a long time before it picks up if it ever picks up, so make sure you have fun making the things.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 11:06:27 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 11:31:09 pm »
One negative about youtube videos is that it's very difficult, I think, to correct mistakes in your video.  If you say something or show something wrong, how do you correct it?

If you put your knowledge into a text/picture website, it's a lot easier to re-edit, modify, restructure, etc.

When you make changes, I can also see your revision number, etc.

Also, if I'm serious about learning what you have to say, I find it easier to re-read your text.  Some youtuber's have funny accents (to my ears), speak to fast, say "um" every 3 word, etc.

Yes, some people are visual learners and yes some content is best shown working vs text/static pictures.

All I can suggest is do it because you want to.  Make a short 3 minute test video and get some feedback on audio, lighting, camera angle, etc, etc.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 04:11:45 am »
They're only obstacles if you let them be...

You don't need it.  In fact, if you are learning as you go there will be many people who will be sharing your journey.  Don't try to "know everything".  Learn as you go and not only will your audience but they will forgive those "oops" moments more readily as well.

Charisma is nice, but passion is what is necessary to make a go of it.  If the idea of putting together Youtube material gets your heart pumping, then you are already set to get into it.

Don't try and imitate anyone - be yourself.  Humour isn't always necessary, so don't go out of your way to introduce it.  As you get more comfortable, you will develop your own style - and if humourous moments pop up, you can make the most of them ... naturally.  "Acting", without looking like you're acting, is difficult - so make life easier with yourself and just be yourself.

Who says you have to show your face?  If I were to put together Youtube videos, I'd not want to show my face either.  Best I would try is an impersonation of Wilson (From "Home Improvements").

Also, I would use a lapel mic, but have no decent camera as of yet. To be honest, a big part of this post is to see if it's worth buying one (I'd get the most modest thing that didn't suck)
As suggested above, start off with a smartphone with a decent camera, put it on a tripod for stability.  Never use handheld if you can avoid it.  Light the area well (that can be the toughest part) and frame your scenes well.  Really, really, really avoid using digital zoom if at all possible as your image quality will suffer greatly.  Don't go out and buy expensive gear at the outset.  You may progress to that level, but a recent model smartphone will be more than adequate for an audition - and could easily be quite acceptable for real content.

You should invest in some video editing software.  I use PowerDirecor (only because it had a 30 day free trial which I used to do a project at short notice, but found it powerful enough and easy enough to use that I ponied up the cash to buy it) - but there are many other alternatives.

One very important rule:  Do everything you can to get your footage right IN THE CAMERA.  Yes, there are tools in video editing software that can be used to tweak brightness, colour, sound, etc. but you want to avoid having to do ANY of that.  It will take inordinate amounts of time and the results are never going to be as good as if you got it all right at the start.

Waddaya think?
As also suggested above - just do a short video that will exercise some of the key elements of the sort of material you will be shooting.  Show us here and you'll get feedback.

Do this even if you haven't sorted out some bits and pieces.  Just let us know what things you would like to do and we will take that into account - and probably have some suggestions.

If you want some photographic pointers - have a look here (While targeted at still photography, there is still some very useful information): How-to make decent photographs for forum posts/articles/publications?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 04:14:51 am by Brumby »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf