Author Topic: cool $1 gadgets ebay  (Read 18091 times)

Offline eliocor

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
Re: cool $1 gadgets ebay
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 10:30:58 am »
So, if EVEN ST sells the standalone 2 version (not the 2-1), I do not see any reason to complain about like stj did.
As I wrote, differences between 2 and 2-1 are rather small, especially for the "casual" programmer: it is different if you are a "professional", but in this case you will use different devices like J-Link.

Offline Old Don

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2017, 10:50:21 am »
I purchased a $1 (including shipping) Chinese mechanical watch some time ago on eBay. It arrived and worked for about 5 minutes before the main spring unwound and couldn't be wound up again.  :'(  ;)
Retired - Formerly: Navy ET, University of Buffalo Electronic Tech, Field Engineer and former laptop repair business owner

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2017, 11:32:54 am »
So, if EVEN ST sells the standalone 2 version (not the 2-1), I do not see any reason to complain about like stj did.
As I wrote, differences between 2 and 2-1 are rather small, especially for the "casual" programmer: it is different if you are a "professional", but in this case you will use different devices like J-Link.
Why would you use a J-Link? The manufacturer programmer is probably best supported.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2017, 12:35:40 pm »
the difference between 2.0 and 2.1 is huge if your not using windows and installing a bucket-load of drivers.
they enumerate over usb in a completely different way.
2.1 "just works"

also, i dont think 2.0 supports the serial link in parallel to the swd bus.
so your project cant transparently send back debug messages.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 01:36:37 pm »
Thanks for this tip.  Are you on Linux (or OSX)?

the difference between 2.0 and 2.1 is huge if your not using windows and installing a bucket-load of drivers.
they enumerate over usb in a completely different way.
2.1 "just works" also, i dont think 2.0 supports the serial link in parallel to the swd bus.
so your project cant transparently send back debug messages.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 01:46:03 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2017, 04:31:40 pm »
Linux

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2017, 07:29:24 pm »
How about $5.69 for a 24 MHz 8 bit USB Logic Analyzer that would have cost 20 times more 5 years ago if it came with proprietary software.

(Works with Sigrok.org's Pulseview which is free)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Logic-Analyzer-Device-Set-USB-Cable-24MHz-8CH-24MHz-for-ARM-FPGA-M100-CA-/142210578489

More useful than an analog oscilloscope for digital stuff.

Is this a good one to get? I mean, if there is one that is 4 times more expensive but 10 times better, then I'd go for that one instead.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2017, 08:15:56 pm »
There are differences, which are described in a YouTube video by the author of Pulseview, which is very much worth watching.

Also, there is a table at sigrok.org which enumerates the hardware that different ones have.

Some have input protection and buffer chips. Some have more channels. For example, you can also get a cheap 16 channel development board that works with sigrok. They are still awfully cheap.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2017, 08:27:14 pm »
I recently ordered a $35 stereo microscope on ebay.
( from user aomekie )
For $35, I wasn't expecting a lot.

It arrived and it's tiny.  But, the optics are quite decent.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 04:37:35 pm by cdev »

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2017, 08:37:37 pm »
There are differences, which are described in a YouTube video by the author of Pulseview, which is very much worth watching.

maybe, maybe not.
there was a website that did a teardown and said it had the wrong buffer chip in it.
so i got a replacement chip and the analyser, only to find the chinese had already switched to the recommended buffer!
all i did in the end was change the eeprom so that "certain software" would not recognise it as a clone.

it's not a 32channel 100MHz unit, and it does not buffer or have a pattern-trigger.
but it does a hell of a lot for the money.  :-+

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2017, 08:51:03 pm »
I am too..

Could you explain a bit more what the difference is - for a Linux user who is likely never going to be using it on windows?  (not if I can avoid it)

Linux

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2017, 09:11:12 pm »
i'll see if i can find the pdf - i hate ST's site.

in simple terms, the 2.0 tries to look like scsi-over-usb,
while 2.1 looks like a native mass-storage and serial-over-usb device-pair.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline aandrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2017, 11:47:22 pm »
Why would you use a J-Link? The manufacturer programmer is probably best supported.

I stayed away from j-link for years with the same thought. It's bunk.

In fact every programmer I have now is a J-link, including all the garbage st-link programmers ST puts on their dev boards. I flash them all to legitimate j-links with https://www.segger.com/products/debug-probes/j-link/models/other-j-links/st-link-on-board/.

I find the segger software works so much better than anything from ST or NXP, and if you've got a Jlink Plus you have access to a very nice multiplatform debugger from them called Ozone

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2017, 11:57:19 pm »
I stayed away from j-link for years with the same thought. It's bunk.

In fact every programmer I have now is a J-link, including all the garbage st-link programmers ST puts on their dev boards. I flash them all to legitimate j-links with https://www.segger.com/products/debug-probes/j-link/models/other-j-links/st-link-on-board/.

I find the segger software works so much better than anything from ST or NXP, and if you've got a Jlink Plus you have access to a very nice multiplatform debugger from them called Ozone
Can you elaborate? I'm eager to learn about different views on the matter.

Offline aandrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2017, 12:55:54 am »
Can you elaborate? I'm eager to learn about different views on the matter.

Not too much to elaborate; JLink software is good, it's fast and pretty much universal. With ST-Link I always had issues getting OpenOCD to play nicely, and trying to use gdb through ST-Link was an exercise in futility. You'd get it wrestled to where the bug was exhibiting itself and then OpenOCD/ST-Link/gdb would crap out. Very frustrating!

With J-Link, it just seems to work.  I primarily work on STM32, NXP and Nordic, but also use several other vendors (both ARM and non-ARM). Segger's CLI is a bit goofy and documentation on all the command line options is scarce, but once you're set up and using it it's largely hassle-free. I don't much like J-Link on Windows, but JLinkExe on Linux or OSX is great. Easy to script, plays nice with OpenOCD and gdb and, as I said earlier, Ozone is a *great* cross-platform debugger.

Mind you all these interfaces tend to use the STM32F0, and the Black Magic Probe (https://github.com/blacksphere/blackmagic/wiki) looks to be a significant step up from JLink. Also OSS/OSHW, so that's a big plus too!

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2017, 02:14:57 am »
Got one of these for $0.99 on eBay. (Disclaimer: Requires opportunistic bid winning.) Nice variety of small bits and fits in my DMM's carrying case.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: sony mavica

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2017, 08:21:38 am »
was going to say "post a link", but i see they dont have hexagonal ends.
so not gonna fit my other handles.  :(

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2017, 08:42:41 am »
Got one of these for $0.99 on eBay. (Disclaimer: Requires opportunistic bid winning.) Nice variety of small bits and fits in my DMM's carrying case.

I have one too and it really sucks. I shoudnt complain, considering how much I paid, even if I paid more than 0.99$, around 5$ I think. I was very optimistic, when I bought it.
Anyway. The bits fall out constantly and the grip on the handle is quite bad. So I threw it away.
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2017, 05:07:18 pm »
Yeah, the aluminum is impossibly slippery when your fingers are a bit wet. I put o-rings into the grooves for additional grip. My bits are still behaving, but I suspect the tips will deform quickly like most cheap screwdrivers.

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2017, 12:49:19 am »
I find these optocoupler relay modules useful:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Channel-30A-5V-12V-24V-Relay-Module-Board-With-Optocoupler-H-L-Level-Triger/361368219371
The high / low trigger ones can easily isolate the signal from the coil of the relay meaning that you can use a 5 volt signal to operate a 24 volt coil and load completely isolated from each other with by changing the LED resistor on the board and buying the module for the coil voltage.  They will operate with either positive or negative (or even AC) signal because the opto isolator has two opposite polarity LEDs.  They also have small LEDs on the board to indicate voltage available and when the relay is powered. 

The following users thanked this post: Richard Crowley, sony mavica

Offline sony mavicaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2017, 05:10:15 am »

nice
MORE POWER!

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2017, 06:12:37 am »
You can buy hope and broken dreams. They are sold as gas MPG boosters and electricity savers. Free shipping too!
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2017, 07:01:41 am »
Electricity savers: If you can get it for the price of the capacitor within, you break even. ;D

Online VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2017, 06:09:35 pm »
How about $5.69 for a 24 MHz 8 bit USB Logic Analyzer that would have cost 20 times more 5 years ago if it came with proprietary software.

(Works with Sigrok.org's Pulseview which is free)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Logic-Analyzer-Device-Set-USB-Cable-24MHz-8CH-24MHz-for-ARM-FPGA-M100-CA-/142210578489

More useful than an analog oscilloscope for digital stuff.

Will it do the job?

I don't have a true job for it now, but if it is that cheap then I might consider it. What do I need to download with it?

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2017, 06:36:07 pm »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf