Author Topic: Counterfeit Fluke 87?  (Read 5296 times)

Offline slateraptorTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Counterfeit Fluke 87?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 04:35:58 am »
I have never seen nor heard of an exact replica Fluke counterfeit.

Dave.

Offline slateraptorTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 04:46:38 am »
On first look, it's certainly not a current model 87...so I'm thinking it's a genuine 1st gen in outstanding aesthetic condition or a fake.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 05:06:24 am »
Don't see generation identifiers past 87, so I'm thinking 1st generation in great cosmetic condition.

Offline Dawn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 05:45:18 am »
It looks identical to my field kit kept '87 that I bought during the early 90's. Nothing is out of place and point for point exactly as mine. Mine is just as clean  or better even though it's been used continuously for over 20 years and kept in a gusseted, cordura tool attache with all of my field case Xcelite tools.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 12:20:55 pm »
Its very likely a generation from the 1990s; its CAT rated already.  I have Fluke 80s series from 1989 that look as good as new, all it needs is a little cleaning, whatever plastic they use is exceptional as it retains its like new look for decades.  The 1st and possibly 2nd generations were not CAT rated because the rating did not exist then.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 07:49:09 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Fluxed Matter

• Regular Contributor
Counterfeit Fluke 87?
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 01:30:44 pm »
It's genuine. I have the same model. I acquired it in1994 so saturation is right about the timeframe. I still use today, but the one thing I don't like is the TC measurement needs an adapter and is not a built in function like on the 87V. I have the TC adapter some where though.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 01:32:32 pm by Fluxed Matter »
Have a Great Day!
Fluxed Matter

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 04:10:08 pm »
I have never seen nor heard of an exact replica Fluke counterfeit.

Dave.

From Fluke,

"According to Larry Wilson, senior communications manager for Fluke Corp., Everett, Wash., the company has not had much trouble in terms of direct knockoffs, but rather with test meters that are similar enough that people think it is a Fluke product.

“Distributors are responsible for understanding that Fluke owns the trade dress and that they should not be purchasing or distributing meters that violate the visual appearance of a Fluke product or its packaging,” he said.

If a distributor discovers counterfeit products being sold, then the distributor is responsible for letting the manufacturer know.

“It’s then up to Fluke to pursue the matter by notifying the seller that they are violating our trade dress,” Wilson explained.

“Contractors working in commercial and industrial applications need to use high-quality meters that are appropriately designed, manufactured, and tested to meet safety guidelines for those environments,” Wilson said

Wilson advises channel partners to be aware of trademark, trade dress, and intellectual property laws and learn how to differentiate between legitimate and counterfeit products. "

http://www.counterfeitscankill.com/news/?fa=show&id=3351&cms=1

"Larry Wilson, senior communications manager, Fluke Corp., Everett, Wash., said Fluke is facing a different problem.

“We aren’t seeing counterfeits of our testers, but cheap look-alike units whose makers attempt to make their appearance through face design and color combinations appear to be Fluke equipment,” he said. “To protect our brand, we own rights to the color combination and faces of our testing units and are very vigilant about taking legal action against those who violate our copyrights.

Wilson said Fluke tests all of its meters before they are sold, subjecting them to high voltage spikes to make sure they exceed industry standards. It is unlikely look-alike equipment meets industry specifications, and those Fluke has tested fail to withstand spikes.

“The insidious thing about this is that, to make a buck, people are put in danger,” Wilson said. "

http://www.counterfeitscankill.com/news/?fa=show&id=3338&cms=1

Erik
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 04:14:24 pm by ErikTheNorwegian »
/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 11:15:40 pm »
Erik, that's what Dave said. Which part of the article confuses you?

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 08:26:32 am »
Erik, that's what Dave said. Which part of the article confuses you?

No, just confirming what he said.. does that confuse you?  :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 10:38:50 am by ErikTheNorwegian »
/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf