Author Topic: Covid 19 virus  (Read 196338 times)

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
Re: Covid 19 virus
« Reply #1375 on: March 26, 2020, 06:52:05 pm »
Needless to say, enforcing the actions by the police/military are only needed because of these groups of people. This is why the Finnish strategy, "we only give suggestions and trust people follow them" is a catastrophe.

I don't know a lot about Finland, but a bit about nordic countries in general, and I would have expected people there to be a lot more well behaved than this. But maybe it's just a small fraction of all people (but in that case, that would not be as significant a problem as it is?) Or maybe the Finnish are just obnoxious? Or something. :P

Finns are likely to protest somewhat less than what Italians did at the beginning, but many do protest here, like everywhere. So the difference isn't an order of magnitude thing, I think we are quite average here when it comes to being selfish at the expense of others. I think you need to look at certain Asian cultures to see a big difference in this behavior. Though, this being said, even these countries (and they especially!) rely on actually enforcing the rules by the fear of actual sanctions, even if they "might" not need it. Funny thing, isn't it?

"Losing face" is a big thing in some Asian cultures, and it works to some extent here, as well. But this can go both ways; at the early phase of this kind of epidemic, certain social bubbles form, and one of them is the "lallallaa overreaction, I don't want to show I'm scared, not overreacting, lallallaa". So in order not to lose face, you need to pretend living like usual. I think this happens everywhere in Europe to some non-meaningless extent, including Finland; just wittnessed today a few middle-aged guys at a store loudly protesting how stupid this overreaction is because "we have only one dead" (the correct number at that time was 3, as corrected by the cashier, and currently is 5). These people existing is the reason why we need to enforce the rules.

Actually we had some opinion poll numbers how the people here see the actions of the government. I forgot the source, but they were approximately like this: 45% thinks they underreact, 45% thinks they react in the correct proportion at the correct time; 10% thinks they overreact. It's this 10% of people who are dangerous as is and need to be actually enforced with sanctions. 0.1% wouldn't matter; 10% does.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 06:57:39 pm by Siwastaja »

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1376 on: March 26, 2020, 06:54:46 pm »
@not1xor1: I don't know how much we can trust the published figures, but currently Italy has one of the highest death rate (deaths/total cases) with about 10%. This is gigantic.

yes... the reason is yet unclear...probably a combination of:
- being several weeks ahead in the pandemic,
- overcrowded hospitals in some parts of the country,
- using a different criteria for attributing deaths to COVID-19,
- missing lots of positive cases,
- bad air quality,
- old age,
- lacking of D vitamin (just read about that a couple of hours ago), etc.

BTW I just noticed that both Spain and France have alarming high rates too
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 07:01:44 pm by not1xor1 »

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1377 on: March 26, 2020, 07:08:47 pm »
Actually we had some opinion poll numbers how the people here see the actions of the government. I forgot the source, but they were approximately like this: 45% thinks they underreact, 45% thinks they react in the correct proportion at the correct time; 10% thinks they overreact. It's this 10% of people who are dangerous as is and need to be actually enforced with sanctions. 0.1% wouldn't matter; 10% does.

Ok I see...

Now with (from what I've just seen) 958 cases and 5 deaths, things don't look that bad for Finland so far. Don't get me wrong, I'm not underestimating this, and I agree anything should be done to keep this under control, but from figures alone, I can at least slightly understand why some people there would still think it's relatively "mild".

Offline TheNewLab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1378 on: March 26, 2020, 07:10:30 pm »
at over 1400 postings in this topic in only a short number of days..

I guess I may share what Reuters came up with more detailed numbers. Some are estimates, Others are in my mind humorous, yet good.

I have not tallied what the sum of Reuters numbers are. Anyone else may do that.

The biggest concern are enough beds in hospitals, adequate resuscitators, adequate PPE for health care works. YT search "Italy" filter "this week" or "this month" You will find a number of videos from Italian healthcare workers.

Here are the Reuters numbers:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-bill-contents-idUSKBN21D2CQ

In a way I want to say "just chill out" However, Some fear may be healthy. most of what is suggested is good hygiene. Others, are simple to practice, except, er, uh..Not touching your face. That's the most difficult.

I feel, focusing on facts are best, as it is the unknown creates the greatest fear.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1379 on: March 26, 2020, 07:15:43 pm »
@not1xor1: I don't know how much we can trust the published figures, but currently Italy has one of the highest death rate (deaths/total cases) with about 10%. This is gigantic.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries   now has a deaths/1M pop column in their charts, saving you from doing the math. Italy and Spain are way ahead of everyone else by that measure.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1380 on: March 26, 2020, 07:24:21 pm »
I guess it's somewhat futile to compare numbers or even ratios of different countries since it's unclear how many people are tested and how many infected/dead are actually reported.
Today the number of 410k totally tested was published in Germany, but at the same time our leading Corona expert claimed that 500k people would be tested per week while the number of a maximum of 160k tests per week was claimed only some days ago and now a number of up to 360k tests per week being possible was given by the public health insurance organization.
Anyway, the number of tested is very high in Germany, while I would assume it's rather low in countries like Iran. Actually, if I understand the numbers of the CDC correctly, even in the USA only around 100k tests were performed up to now. And of course it's highly questionable if illiberal states publish reliable numbers.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1381 on: March 26, 2020, 07:40:11 pm »
What is an illiberal state?

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1382 on: March 26, 2020, 07:46:08 pm »
Guess that depends on your point of view. In my humble opinion, e.g. Russia would fall into this category among many other countries where there is no free press or independent jurisdiction.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1383 on: March 26, 2020, 07:46:54 pm »

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries   now has a deaths/1M pop column in their charts, saving you from doing the math. Italy and Spain are way ahead of everyone else by that measure.

Not sure I'd fancy my chances in San Marino at the moment tbh.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1384 on: March 26, 2020, 07:57:08 pm »
Is there anywhere that shows data day to day country by country?
Wikipedia has a dedicated page (article?) per country where you can typically find daily graphs and number of infections per region / county.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:08:56 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1385 on: March 26, 2020, 08:08:41 pm »
I guess it's somewhat futile to compare numbers or even ratios of different countries since it's unclear how many people are tested and how many infected/dead are actually reported.
Today the number of 410k totally tested was published in Germany, but at the same time our leading Corona expert claimed that 500k people would be tested per week while the number of a maximum of 160k tests per week was claimed only some days ago and now a number of up to 360k tests per week being possible was given by the public health insurance organization.
Anyway, the number of tested is very high in Germany, while I would assume it's rather low in countries like Iran. Actually, if I understand the numbers of the CDC correctly, even in the USA only around 100k tests were performed up to now. And of course it's highly questionable if illiberal states publish reliable numbers.

do not forget that tests are meaningless in the sense that people negative now might get infected 5 minutes later and that some people like health care staff have to be tested multiple times

so far in Italy 361,060 tests have been performed

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #1386 on: March 26, 2020, 08:13:51 pm »
I'm just thinking that ignoring differences in methods if you compare increase rates assuming they don't suddenly change the method like china did you can see how each country is doing relatively with the rate of increase in cases.

The following users thanked this post: ZigmundRat

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1387 on: March 26, 2020, 08:28:49 pm »

In the UK it currently seems as though most people die from it.

Look at "Closed Cases"
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1388 on: March 26, 2020, 08:44:47 pm »

Look at "Closed Cases"

Haha, I'm sure that's skewed. If 81% is the mortality rate for the UK they might as well figure out which country is going to be expanding.

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #1389 on: March 26, 2020, 08:48:01 pm »
That 81% is from "Cases which had an outcome"

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1390 on: March 26, 2020, 08:50:40 pm »

Not sure I'd fancy my chances in San Marino at the moment tbh.

The San Marino numbers aren't hugely significant due to the small sample size of only 21 deaths among a total population of 33400. So far as the virus transmission is concerned prior to quarantine, it's a town-sized state literally surrounded by Italy and is suffering a similar fate.

The following users thanked this post: not1xor1

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #1391 on: March 26, 2020, 08:55:45 pm »

Look at "Closed Cases"

That looks similar to the pattern Italy has shown. No test coverage in the general public, only people who feel really sick go to the hospital and get tested, many of them part of a high-risk group, who are now dying quickly. Wasn't the plan to protect granny and granddaddy first and foremost?.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline Deni

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1392 on: March 26, 2020, 09:04:23 pm »
The last patient that died here -> received in the hospital in poor condition, with cancer in terminal stage, no previous symptoms, not isolated, but out
of precaution tested for COVID,  found positive, dies afer an hour and is now counted as COVID victim. I mean, really  :palm: ? How many similar cases
are out there?

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1393 on: March 26, 2020, 09:10:08 pm »
Probably a lot. That's the point, this is REALLY bad for people with other issues.

Offline Deni

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1394 on: March 26, 2020, 09:15:32 pm »
But the patient HAD NO SYMPTOMS, was just infected (as many of us most likely are, since various flu viruses are all around us) and died from cancer !
3 months ago nobody would count it as a COVID case. Bad data are worse that no data...

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #1395 on: March 26, 2020, 09:25:47 pm »
Probably a lot. That's the point, this is REALLY bad for people with other issues.

Here is the latest report on Italy Death Cases as of March 24th.
The pre-existing conditions statistics is that "Patologie" and "Numero di patologie".
No need to translate, imho.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 09:29:12 pm by imo »

Offline engrguy42

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1396 on: March 26, 2020, 09:31:37 pm »
My latest summary of the WHO March 26 report, hot off the presses. This is for the 8 countries with the most confirmed cases. I also included some info I didn't have before.

Attached chart of deaths to date and new deaths for the US shows deaths to date (884) in yellow, and new deaths each day in dark blue.

- US remains #3 in total confirmed cases to date.

- US remains #6 in total confirmed cases as a % of population.

- US moved up one spot in number of total deaths to date as a % of population (from #8 to #7)

- For the last 4 days US has had a flat rate of approx. 200 new deaths total per day, except for the 24th when it had only 69 (about the same as the 19th thru the 22nd when it was flat with around 40-50 each day).

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 09:40:17 pm by engrguy42 »
- The best engineers know enough to realize they don't know nuthin'...
- Those who agree with you can do no wrong. Those who disagree can do no right.
- I'm always amazed at how many people "already knew that" after you explain it to them in detail...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1397 on: March 26, 2020, 09:34:33 pm »
But the patient HAD NO SYMPTOMS, was just infected (as many of us most likely are, since various flu viruses are all around us) and died from cancer !
3 months ago nobody would count it as a COVID case. Bad data are worse that no data...

So WHAT does their actual death certificate actually say? Or is this just some third hand news story.

I've seen quite a few death certificates in my time and if someone has some known terminal condition that is always recorded, even when the proximal cause of death was something secondary. e.g something like "Pneumonia as a complication of stage 4 lung cancer".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #1398 on: March 26, 2020, 09:48:11 pm »
Yes, easily. He's an idiot.

OK, perhpas he is, perhaps he is not - the same applies to all of us. But there was another link which, unfortunately, is pure data - no opinion. As you obviously missed it, here it is again:

http://www.euromomo.eu/index.html

It's "mortality monitor" - organization that collects data about deceased persons for 20+ EU countries once per week and was established for the situation like thise - to detect
abnormal spikes in mortality rate. You can spot sinewave-like curve, where each winter "shakes up" 60+ generation, when the flu season starts. So far, no abnormalities (although data lag 1 week), even
some drop is visible. That's what I would like to understand or to be explained to me. Perhaps Swedes are doing right - running their lives, more or less, as before...?

There will be a statistically visible increase of the mortality soon e.g. in Italy and Spain and Dr. Wodargs house of cards will collapse.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1399 on: March 26, 2020, 10:12:21 pm »
Coronavirus: Why some countries wear face masks and others don't
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52015486

Emphasis mine

Nobody else needs to wear a mask, and there are several reasons for that.
One is that a mask is not seen as reliable protection, given that current research shows the virus is spread by droplets and contact with contaminated surfaces. So it could protect you, but only in certain situations such as when you're in close quarters with others where someone infected might sneeze or cough near your face. This is why experts say frequent hand washing with soap and water is far more effective.
Removing a mask requires special attention to avoid hand contamination, and it could also breed a false sense of security.

Some argue that ubiquitous mask wearing, as a very visual reminder of the dangers of the virus, could actually act as a "behavioural nudge" to you and others for overall better personal hygiene.

Then, there's the idea that every little bit counts in the war the world is waging against the virus.
"We can't say if face masks are ineffective, but we presume they have some effect because that's the protection we give to healthcare workers," said Benjamin Cowling, an epidemiologist with Hong Kong University.

In countries where mask wearing is not the norm, such as the West, those who do wear masks have been shunned or even attacked. It hasn't helped that many of these mask wearers are Asians.
But those societies that do advocate everyone wearing a mask may have a point and increasingly, experts are now questioning the official WHO advice.

I am a powerful wizard and looking into my cystal ball I can foresee that the number of expert advocating using a mask to the general public will rise logarithmically with the number of masks produced.

Meanwhile, the US is now number one in number of infected - "America first!" remember?
And thanks to governors such as that of Mississippi is trying to do its best to ramp up in the number of deaths, as well:
All instruments lie. Usually on the bench.

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf