Author Topic: crazy missing package from Digi-Key turns up  (Read 1028 times)

Offline jmelsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
crazy missing package from Digi-Key turns up
« on: September 28, 2021, 12:24:21 am »
I had two packages from Digi-Key coming by FedEx ground.  FedEx showed them being bothe delivered on Saturday about 12 Noon.  No packages out there.  I created a case with FedEx, and waited to see if they would turn up.  FedEx closed the case on Monday, so I filed a pollice report.  Suddenly, about 6 PM, both packages show up on our doorstep!

My guess is that the FedEx route driver got behind and entered that the packages were delivered, but didn't get around to delivering them until Monday evening!  Now, I have to cancel the police report.

Anybody ever have anything like this happen?

Jon

Offline WattsThat

• Frequent Contributor
Re: crazy missing package from Digi-Key turns up
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 01:24:41 am »
Yes. Not at all surprised with FedEx Ground, the worst, most unreliable carrier to ever carry.

It’s made even worse with the current labor problems in the US. Many of the FedEx Ground drivers are independent contractors, not subject to the same standards as the company employees. The ground operation is giving the express operation, which are a totally separate business with very different unions, a very big, black eye. IMO, UPS is worth the cost difference. Even USPS can be more reliable than FedEx Ground but they too are having their own labor problems.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 01:38:06 am »
I've had Fedex deliver to the wrong address multiple times and a neighbor dropped by with my package. Fedex is notoriously awful, their tracking system is a complete joke, I'm not exaggerating when I say that well over 50% of Fedex deliveries to me are days late. The worst thing is it will say "potentially delayed" when it is already beyond the date they said it would be here, there's nothing potential about that. Whenever I order something and see a Fedex tracking number I just know I can't count on it arriving when it says it will.

USPS and UPS on the other hand have been really solid. Every once in a while something gets delayed but the tracking always updates promptly with the new delivery date and so far it has always showed up on that new date. I really don't know why Fedex can't seem to get it together, or why anyone still uses them, I try to avoid buying from anywhere that only ships via Fedex but it's difficult, I think they give really good deals to a lot of businesses.

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 03:50:37 am »
I've had Fedex deliver to the wrong address multiple times and a neighbor dropped by with my package

Same here.  Either that, or they are overpaying their delivery contractors.

FedEx is definitely not performing at their best these days.  In addition to the "Neighborhood Express" delivery caught on my security camera above, I've had to go to the local depot twice since the pandemic began to pick up 'overnight' packages that were just sitting there. 

The second time, the lady at the counter said the driver responsible for my neighborhood had quit the day before.   |O

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 07:30:00 am »
Several times recently Fedex has dropped off packages in front of my garage door in the driveway where it is plainly visible to anyone passing by, they couldn't even be bothered to walk over to my porch, nevermind ring the doorbell to let me know something was delivered. One of the times I wasn't even home and they left several boxes in my driveway, I could see on my camera that nothing was on the porch, fortunately I was able to get a friend to stop by and move them inside the garage.

Offline richard.cs

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics engineer from Southampton, UK.
    • Random stuff I've built (mostly non-electronic and fairly dated).
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 09:20:36 am »
Interesting, in the UK FedEx seem to be pretty average and we have several "budget" couriers which are at least as bad as FedEx in this thread. Though here digikey stuff always comes via UPS.

Online floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 09:35:57 am »
The drivers must be on a quota system? If you have a bad day with traffic, running behind, the package still has to get delivered or fake delivery-scanned I guess.

FedEx is good in Canada, I use them for Digi-Key and Mouser orders. UPS and their poop coloured trucks and Customs Brokerage fees are terrible, we avoid them at all costs here.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 09:03:13 pm »
Can't believe you'd waste time filing a police report.

Get a camera for your door/entrance where the packages are left. IF it was every actually stolen then feel free to file a report then.

AFAIK receiver never files a report with the shipper, its always the senders responsibility. If you are actually trying to recover insurance. Of course if its just to report a "bad driver" or whatever, I'm sure there is an option for that.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf