Author Topic: Crazy Static Electricity Incident!  (Read 3277 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline desolatordan

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 65
  • Country: 00
Crazy Static Electricity Incident!
« on: April 14, 2010, 07:22:15 pm »
You think it's real?

Quote
Frank Clewer, of the western Victorian city of Warrnambool, was wearing a synthetic nylon jacket and a woollen shirt when he went for a job interview.

As he walked into the building, the carpet ignited from the 40,000 volts of static electricity that had built up.

Mr Clewer said that after leaving the building, he scorched a piece of plastic in his car.

His clothes were measured by firemen as carrying an electrical charge of 40,000 volts, the Reuters news agency quoted Mr Barton as saying.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4252692.stm
 

Offline Kiriakos-GR

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • !
  • Posts: 3525
  • Country: gr
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
Re: Crazy Static Electricity Incident!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 07:28:20 pm »
Quote
40,000 volts
  ;D  measured by what ? 

News Papers , needs fancy titles , so to gain the public interest, and sell . 
 

Offline Ferroto

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 289
  • Country: ca
Re: Crazy Static Electricity Incident!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 01:29:08 pm »
Did he get the job?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 01:54:42 pm by Ferroto »
 

Offline XynxNet

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 185
  • Country: de
Re: Crazy Static Electricity Incident!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 09:29:13 pm »
Inventive methode to show the ignorants from human resources your sparkling personality.  :P

30-40kV static electricity is not unusal.
But the scorch marks, I don't know.
It is interesting, that the firemen had an kV-meter at hand. Even in my old physics departement, we had only a few of those.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 09:35:51 pm by XynxNet »
 

Online Simon

  • Global Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 16639
  • Country: gb
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Crazy Static Electricity Incident!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 09:44:20 pm »
sounds a bit far fetched to me, if he burnt the carpet it would have discharged him (before the coincidently well prepared fireman measured him) if he was making that much and close to the energy that makes things combust he should have burnt up himself ? really if this is true the guy has unlocked the secret of free power ! highly unlikely
 

Offline Zero999

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 16798
  • Country: gb
  • 0999
Re: Crazy Static Electricity Incident!
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 08:53:05 am »
I'm not sure.

It's possible to ignite some highly flammable materials such as petrol and propane but not plastic so I doubt it's true.
 

Online Simon

  • Global Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 16639
  • Country: gb
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Crazy Static Electricity Incident!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 09:00:23 am »
having said that I do have a book on phenomenoms and one is "spontaneous human combustion" bit the incidents do not involve nylon clothing and are far weirder, some occuring many years ago
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf