Author Topic: Crimp tool for 0.250 Spade terminals  (Read 1206 times)

Offline DeanATopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Design Electronics
Crimp tool for 0.250 Spade terminals
« on: December 06, 2021, 11:03:57 pm »
Can anyone recommend a decent crimp tool for the 0.250, 6.3mm non insulated spade terminals like this" alt="" class="bbc_img" /> preferably available locally in Australia.
I found this one at E14 https://au.element14.com/duratool/ht-230c-ht-236c/crimp-tool-inter-lockingnon/dp/3126341 which looks correct from the photo's and the price is good, but not 100% sure if that is suitable for the faston 250 type spade terminals.
The manufacturer specific one I found at digikey, 755414-1, is $5000.  Or I found "47417 CRIMP TOOL, FASTON 250 SERIES TERMINALS" at E14 but that's $800, both way over my budget.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
Re: Crimp tool for 0.250 Spade terminals
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 11:32:31 am »
Some crimp tools are hideously expensive, eh.

Rocky Electronics in Melbourne sells this... https://www.rockby.com.au/catresultsSql_12.cfm?Stock_no=21037
I use one for 6.3mm spade terminals with plastic sleeves, and it works a treat. It might work for your terminal without the sleeve.
I have also found good quality crimping tools on eBay (and there is a lot of rubbish there too).

Failing that, there are companies in Melbourne who provide a crimping service. They have automated crimping machines.

• Regular Contributor
    • Design Electronics
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 09:15:40 pm »
Some crimp tools are hideously expensive, eh.

Rocky Electronics in Melbourne sells this... https://www.rockby.com.au/catresultsSql_12.cfm?Stock_no=21037
I use one for 6.3mm spade terminals with plastic sleeves, and it works a treat. It might work for your terminal without the sleeve.
I have also found good quality crimping tools on eBay (and there is a lot of rubbish there too).

Failing that, there are companies in Melbourne who provide a crimping service. They have automated crimping machines.

Thanks, I've got one of those crimpers for the insulated terminals which works great.  It's the uninsulated spade terminals I need a crimper for, it should simultaneously crimp to the wire and strain relief to the wire insulation.  I'll give that Duratool HT-230C one from Element 14 a go, I just can't find enough information to decide if it's the correct one.  These uninsulated spade terminals are very common so I thought there would be a few decent quality crimpers available for them.

Regards,
Dean.

Online Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 09:29:08 pm »
You could try Rhino Tools, they generally have a good assortment of crimpers and reasonable prices as well.

https://rhinotools.com.au

The following users thanked this post: DeanA

Offline WattsThat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 09:45:12 pm »
Not a big fan of Amazon but... perhaps this is available in Oz either through Amazon or others:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Glarks-Self-Adjusting-Terminals-0-5-1-5mm%C2%B2-Connectors/dp/B07KVFKXS6/ref=sr_1_1

The following users thanked this post: DeanA

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 12:07:53 am »
@WattsThat:
Limited wire size, though.

The best low cost tool for crimping 6.3 mm connectors was the YYT-11, but it's apparently obsolete. I still have/use mine, it's brilliant.
Takes 0.5...6 mm2 wires and cost 35 Euro (back then).

Some research is needed by the OP here. But crimping 6.3 mm connectors can't really be a problem, they are in billions of cars out there.
Look to automotive tool suppliers instead of electronics, that should bring better results.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 12:12:36 am by Benta »

• Regular Contributor
    • Design Electronics
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 01:27:11 am »
@WattsThat:
Limited wire size, though.

The best low cost tool for crimping 6.3 mm connectors was the YYT-11, but it's apparently obsolete. I still have/use mine, it's brilliant.
Takes 0.5...6 mm2 wires and cost 35 Euro (back then).

Some research is needed by the OP here. But crimping 6.3 mm connectors can't really be a problem, they are in billions of cars out there.
Look to automotive tool suppliers instead of electronics, that should bring better results.

Cheers.

Thanks, yes that YYT-11 looks to be good, but as you say obsolete.  The Duratool HT-230C one from Element 14 looks correct from the photo's, I'll get one of those, thanks for the help.

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 10:47:55 pm »
That one looks OK. Good luck.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf