Author Topic: Cringe car crash camera repair over at Linus Tech Tips  (Read 5197 times)

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: Cringe car crash camera repair over at Linus Tech Tips
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2022, 02:23:12 pm »
Alex is quite diplomatic, and all the better for it.

Offline HowardlongTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2022, 02:36:57 pm »
WHere is the power supply tester? What is wrong with buying a chroma???

I don't think anyone's suggesting otherwise, the point is that blowing that kind of money on equipment seems more than
a little frivolous if you don't have someone who knows what they're doing to drive it. If I may be so bold, there is a substantial disconnect between the amount he blows on equipment compared to the bright young things he has a tendency to hire.

The recent exception would seem to be Gary Keys, I am sure he didn't come cheap, but as far as I can tell, he's a marketing guy, unlikely to have in-depth technical experience. As I mentioned earlier, perhaps there are others more suitable who've already been hired but are on probation who don't get to have their faces on video.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2022, 08:56:27 pm »
Ok, but you could also say that that kind of equipment is essential in a work place to have any kind of semblance of through put and efficiency, so long there is a professional around. I guess people are saying there is no professional around to use it. I just feel like some times people don't understand how much dedicated machinery cuts down on the work place bull-shit that comes up. The only caviet is that its not great for fostering learning, since its highly integrated and streamlined. If you cut down on setup things come out on time. Sometimes even if you lose a little precision/ideality, having results fast means you can identify a useful trend by testing that could be investigated in depth by a more 'traditional' setup.

I do agree that his work crew might have better long term success if they figure out how to do it with the basic tools because that will offer some education.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 09:01:10 pm by coppercone2 »

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2022, 09:01:29 pm »
As for low melt solder, he may not know about it. Or, there is also the fact its not going to not be as strong as lead solder. So might not last as long.
But you don't use it for the final join, just for desoldering. Though leaded solder is "low melt" compared with lead-free.

I don't really see it helping massively here, as its a through hole connector. Which means you'd have to get the low melt down into the pins.
For fully SMD ICs it definitely helps, when you don't/can't use hot air.

Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2022, 10:38:02 pm »
Why is that sad? He has tons of knowledge and skills, SMD soldering is just not one those.

We were talking technical skills, related computers and EE stuff. Nobody disputes his business acumen, for example - I certainly can't run a 60 person media company myself.

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
Re: Cringe *car crash* camera repair over at Linus Tech Tips
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2022, 08:17:45 am »
He was an IT guy, now he is a tech journalist.

What's "skill"? Is that engineering or technician level capabilities? I doubt he has any EE "skills", and probably more than enough IT skills to strike common sense in what his team does. Then again he also leans a lot on his team to test products and write scripts that he can (proof)read on camera.

Nonetheless, if that's all cringe-worthy.. the cringe-worthy thing for me is that this thread is called a "car crash camera"

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, tooki, newbrain

• Super Contributor
Re: Cringe *car crash* camera repair over at Linus Tech Tips
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2022, 12:13:07 pm »
Nonetheless, if that's all cringe-worthy.. the cringe-worthy thing for me is that this thread is called a "car crash camera"

For me, what's cringe worthy is someone thinking that regards a thread with "car crash camera" in its title is cringe worthy. ;-)

/recurse

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2022, 01:53:40 pm »
Well, it wasn't a car crash camera? That was a different video.
Or maybe I miss the irony/sarcasm/cynicism.

But honestly, I don't care. Just wanted to make the point that not one person can master every skill, as I sense a bit of elitism in trying to bring someone down for being unable to solder a mini HDMI connector, and then bitching how it's just a YT-cash-grab channel that has no skilled personnel.
(If you're a Lious Rossman, you would invite LTT over to show how it should be repaired, instead.)

I think this goes completely against trusting on auto-didactic and reflection skills for a job. Nobody is going to properly prepared for any job from purely it's education or track record. Sure it can help speed up the process, but so far it seems like they are taking their bloody time to get into (10+ months now). I think it's a similar situation as with GamersNexus, where it's 8 months since they've brought in that fan tester unit, but it's basically led to zero review content so far.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2022, 02:19:05 pm »
Well, it wasn't a car crash camera? That was a different video.

Car crash item repair.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2022, 02:40:46 pm »
Well, it wasn't a car crash camera?
No, it was a "car crash camera repair".

bitching how it's just a YT-cash-grab channel that has no skilled personnel.

Not for doing component level repair, no, and they don't have any "skilled personnel" for that either, nor do they have the tools. That didn't stop Linus trying to convince the audience at the start that it could all be done with approx $150 or so of tools & consumables (timestamp 3m00s).

I think this goes completely against trusting on auto-didactic and reflection skills for a job.

Sorry, I'm lost!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 02:50:55 pm by Howardlong »

The following users thanked this post: hans

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2022, 02:47:42 pm »
I’m pretty sure Howard means “a car crash [massive fail] of a repair of a camera” == really awful attempt at repairing a camera.

No, it was a "car crash camera repair".
Repeating the wording that’s confusing people doesn’t help them understand it.

The following users thanked this post: hans, Howardlong

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2022, 03:10:11 pm »
Ah now I get it |O . Something that's perhaps lost in translation as non-native speaker. Or even more likely the SRF of my brain is slightly deviate from others. No worries :-)

Regarding his display of skills vs the sales pitch, yes I agree. 4$ worth of parts and some tools! "I need this to work to get a video out of it". The different kinds of stress of a YouTuber  :-//

The following users thanked this post: Howardlong, tooki

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2022, 11:23:09 pm »
Ah now I get it |O . Something that's perhaps lost in translation as non-native speaker. Or even more likely the SRF of my brain is slightly deviate from others. No worries :-)
Newspapers (and some people) seem to like making these inscrutable headlines that can be read n different (and misleading) ways. Its a "thing" and a quick way to filter out content that doesn't have much substance behind it, otherwise a plain headline would be inviting enough.

It was un-parseable for me too, despite being an English native.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2022, 11:30:25 pm »
Strange! I got it.

Clearly, it was cringe-worthy and the question then was if it was a car crash camera  (no - in that case it would be a dashcam) or car crash OF a camera repair. Since this isn't the Daily Wail it seemed to obviously be the latter.

I can see it might well fox someone who isn't au fait with English idioms. And perhaps copy editors.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2022, 12:27:30 pm »
As a native English speaker, I had to look at it twice. The issue is that it’s ambiguous, and the unintended alternative interpretation is also plausible, since dashcams (cameras designed to film driving in cars, and which often use accelerometers to automatically save footage when a crash is detected) exist. Only once you’ve read beyond the headline can you conclusively rule out it being a video of Linus repairing a dashcam.

The other thing is the way the word “cringe” was used. In the past few years, novel usage of that word as an adjective meaning “cringeworthy” and a noun meaning “cringeworthiness” has become popular: “[thing] is really cringe”. (And it’s often hard to figure out whether it’s an adjective or noun.)

To my ear, that sounds really strange: I’d call those “cringeworthy” and “cringeworthy things”, respectively.

Also, “car crash” to mean “disaster” is more common in UK English, whereas in US English, we more commonly would call it a “train wreck”. So depending on one’s background, it might be less obvious what’s meant.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 12:32:23 pm by tooki »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2022, 01:31:32 pm »
Love to see a train wreck camera repair. Maybe even a working one.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf