Author Topic: pictures of modern military electronics PCB?  (Read 1086 times)

Online coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
pictures of modern military electronics PCB?
« on: August 18, 2018, 12:55:05 am »
Does anyone have pictures of modern high tech military electronics, like the ones used in recent fighter planes, radios, etc?

I never actually saw modern stuff that is used in field hardware. Don't really care where its from or what it is, but I want to see how something comes out looking when all those guidelines for milspec are met/followed.

I have seen a few PCBs, like the ones that mikes electric stuff tore down, and some commercial stuff that was adopted by the military, but I don't think it will be the same as a PCB that is inside of a modern missile, f22 raptor, etc. I have also seen potted stuff that is milspec, like power supplies, but they are rather uninteresting unless you like heat sink chassis/mechanical design.

Does anyone have some (declassified) stuff to share? Preferably from a first world country that does not skimp heavily on defense budgets.

Built from the ground up by people who had military use in mind, not stuff that was 'tweaked' to meet standards.

Is stuff from NASA similar?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 12:58:51 am by coppercone2 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: pictures of modern military electronics PCB?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 08:54:24 am »
Most of it doesn’t look any different to the usual commercial stuff these days. The packages are generally slightly larger due to derating and that’s it. Extended temperature or higher quality packages are used for ICs which are interesting but that’s about it.  A lot of the guidelines were due to large TH devices with a significant mass which needed to be bonded correctly and then the entire board was conformal coated afterwards. This isn’t the case these days due to modern production techniques. The boards and parts are much lower mass.

Look for tear downs of mobile phone mast equipment. Looks roughly like that.

Edit: to note that the PCBs I was reworking in the late 1990s were far lower quality than the $10 box of 10 you can get from China from JLC etc these days.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 09:03:54 am by bd139 »

Online coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: pictures of modern military electronics PCB?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 01:31:30 pm »
you mean like the grade of epoxies / resin / fiberglass /etching process used?

The technology just got that much better?

I have only seen basic control systems for use by military and it looked identical to commercial gear but they liked to use a more robust potted power supply that was a little brick rather then  your typical tin can with vent holes/screw terminals (I guess its just a potted lambda with better input protection), for avionics use

I got a atomic clock from a phone mast, which I have taken apart. It has those 'features' like multilayer PCB stacks joined by headers/connectors, like what I see is common in the missile electronics teardowns on youtube from the 1970's, in order to have some kind of specific high density shape that is still repairable.

I was kinda wondering if it would be more pleasant and relaxing to design things like that because it looked visually better, guess its not like working in the MET and staring at art all day  :'(
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 01:39:50 pm by coppercone2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf