Author Topic: DAC Garbage Or Salvage  (Read 520 times)

Offline vidarrTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
DAC Garbage Or Salvage
« on: May 14, 2024, 01:32:40 pm »
Asus made these stand-alone DAC devices to go with their motherboards, but they almost never worked. I have the SUPREMEFX HI-FI DAC with the ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 and it never worked. The software application is terrible; it does not even detect the DAC. I could not find a single person that got one working --that is, the specific mobo and DAC I have. It is unfortunate because the components are really high quality.

I'm trying to think if there is a way I can use this with some slight modifications to the circuit. I don't think so. I'm thinking maybe I should just strip the board down and re-use the components. I'd like to make my two year old daughter a simple amplifier and build two speakers (monitor cabinets).

The Op Amps are two: LM4562
datasheet: https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm4562.pdf?ts=1715592312059&ref_url=https%253A%252F%252Fno.mouser.com%252F

There is also a good headphone amp: TPA6120A2
datasheet: https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa6120a2.pdf?ts=1715692947995&ref_url=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252F

The caps are high quality and the jacks are all gold plated.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Offline Coordonnée_chromatique

• Regular Contributor
Re: DAC Garbage Or Salvage
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 01:46:18 pm »
hello,

"are really high quality"
the wima caps and the nichicon gold caps are not expensive
"some slight modifications to the circuit" you have to write a new driver IMO
"re-use the components. I'd like to make my two year old daughter a simple amplifier and build two speakers (monitor cabinets)" there is noting that can be reused in an amplifier

The following users thanked this post: vidarr

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 02:25:22 pm »
Any thoughts?

Looks like a very nice low-noise and low-distortions sound card.  Use it as it is.  Would be a pity to ruin it with modifications.    This guy is saying the new drivers are OK:  https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/x99/supremefx-hi-fi-dac-driver-update-v1-9-114-26/td-p/795382

What exactly you don't like about this sound card, or why do you want to modify it at all?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 02:36:06 pm by RoGeorge »

The following users thanked this post: vidarr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2024, 04:57:03 pm »

Looks like a very nice low-noise and low-distortions sound card.  Use it as it is.  Would be a pity to ruin it with modifications.    This guy is saying the new drivers are OK:  https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/x99/supremefx-hi-fi-dac-driver-update-v1-9-114-26/td-p/795382

What exactly you don't like about this sound card, or why do you want to modify it at all?

That mobo is part of my airgapped setup for work and I have no use for it. That mobo didn't used to be setup how it is now, but I never got that DAC to work back then anyway. No one could get it to work. I spent way too many hours and days on it; everyone else gave up much sooner than I did. Here I am at it again... LOL.

The DAC won't work with any other PC, and that PC is dedicated to its role until death, which makes the DAC useless. I did not buy this PC for the device, so it isn't really a loss --it actually came free, because my original mobo was sent back under warranty and they sent me a new board and this thing came with it. Every time I open this Rampage V 10 hardware drawer, there it is... Should sound nice if it worked...

I'll see what other people say, but I have a feeling I am going to end up stripping the board. I would sell it for the $30, but no one in Brazil is going to buy this. Shipping it out is like $70.

Oh yeah, thanks for the driver link. At least now I know it should work, but, I wasn't able to get the driver there. If I go this route, I'll look it up again. Thanks!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2024, 05:05:38 pm »
hello,

"are really high quality"
the wima caps and the nichicon gold caps are not expensive
"some slight modifications to the circuit" you have to write a new driver IMO
"re-use the components. I'd like to make my two year old daughter a simple amplifier and build two speakers (monitor cabinets)" there is noting that can be reused in an amplifier

"NICHICON CAPACITORS
High-quality Japanese capacitors produce a warmer, natural sound with exceptional clarity"

That's what they say on the Asus website. It just stuck in my head. LOL.  :-DD

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2024, 05:41:09 pm »
Yes, that's marketing wording for the layman.

However, some capacitors are very bad for using them in sound applications, in the sense that their capacitance varies with the applied voltage (having in mind some MLCC types, for example).  Since the audio signal varies, the capacitance changes.  Thus, some capacitors can distort the sound.  Those marketing words are correct from the engineering standpoint.

Again, that sound card of yours has a very fine selection of components (including the capacitors, but not only that, the ICs, too), and it was optimized for best performance (not like other boards that are usually optimized for low cost).

The problems you have had with the drivers is another story, but the hardware is very good, it will beat in audio performance most other soundcards out there.  Since the new drivers are fine, you may want to give it another try.  Follow the install instructions (from Asus) and don't fall for the rants on social media.

It's irrelevant if the card came as a bonus or if it was payed, that sound card has exceptional audio performance.  Would be close to impossible to DIY something with similar specs (by reusing some parts), so harvesting the parts will be a waste for both the sound card and the parts.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 05:47:38 pm by RoGeorge »

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2024, 10:21:18 pm »
Looks like it takes 12V for power and either USB or I2S for signal. What chip is connected to the data connector?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf