Author Topic: Dave Needs Help To Stay On WIKI - A General Call For Help  (Read 40442 times)

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
Re: Dave Needs Help To Stay On WIKI - A General Call For Help
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2015, 03:26:21 am »
I find that last quote very very funny.  Because in college, every single one of my professors has told me that if I use anything from Wiki as a resource for any assignment I turn, I could fail the assignment.  Every single one of my college professors considered anything on Wiki as an unreliable source.
Meanwhile, over at the next university, classes are making projects of creating, expanding, updating, or correcting Wikipedia articles.  Those college professors' attutudes have an aroma of sour grape about them.  Just sayin. 

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2015, 03:28:17 am »
yup, I agree, But there have been several times I have found false information myself on them.  So, I don't see it as a reliable source. So, I can see my professors point of views.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2015, 03:36:51 am »
OTOH, your anecdote of your professor's "demonstration" made me wonder how old they are?  They seem to have lost the academic vision of improving information in the world. That kind of academic graffitti would get them fired if I were running the school.  It does nothing to enhance my impression of modern academia.   :--

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2015, 03:39:23 am »
Ya, I thought it was a bit childish as well, but someone in class spoke up as to why Wiki was not a reliable source, so She demonstrated it for us as to why it was not. What she should have done was go back and reverse what she did.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2015, 10:57:15 am »
I, not being a fan of wikipedia(they always burry the most import part of the article), and know guys that have pages there just for a ego boost(that they set up them selves) - would not care for one. 

Offline keethrax

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2015, 03:55:50 pm »
Looks like this Ronz person just deleted most of the Wiki article!
What's the point? If a Wiki article exists it might as well have as much info as possible on the person  :-//

So much this. I could go either way on the existence of said wikipedia page, but if you're going to have one...

It's almost like the thought process is this:

"I really don't have the support I thought I did to remove this page outright, so instead I'll deliberately edit it for the worse to give me another excuse to excise the whole thing."

Which is a fairly petty thing to do.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2015, 04:01:21 pm »
So much this. I could go either way on the existence of said wikipedia page, but if you're going to have one...
It's almost like the thought process is this:
"I really don't have the support I thought I did to remove this page outright, so instead I'll deliberately edit it for the worse to give me another excuse to excise the whole thing."
Which is a fairly petty thing to do.

Yup, this Ronz person is butthurt that the moderator didn't agree with them pull the page  ::)

Offline ez24Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2015, 05:38:58 pm »
This is a funny saga.  Yesterday (June 8, 2015) the wiki page was "almost" gone with warnings and today it is all there with no warnings.  But I have seen that before, but since this the second "good" time,  maybe it will remain good    :)  and the bad guys will leave it alone and go on to other projects to flame.

I must say I was surprised at some of the hostility here about this.  I still think someday the page could be a good index to the Youtube videos and maybe something else.  ie look to the future of the page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_L._Jones
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2015, 05:58:36 pm »
If you try and make an index to Youtube videos, you'll surely kill it.  That's not what Wikipedia's for.  The way the page is right now (restored to it's previous content) is about right.  Someone wants to know a bit more about Dave, collected in one place...there it is.  He's well known enough at this point that there's no reason not to have one, though I don't blame Dave one bit for not caring one way or another.  There's nothing that page will ever do that he hasn't already done himself with EEVBlog.

Regardless, that Ronz guy is a schmuck.  I don't know how Wikipedia works.  Don't they have any real editors to bonk these guys on the head when they start acting like idiots?

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2015, 09:31:09 pm »
I just want to joke a bit ;)

I did so fast so I repeated "to" and other shit. My image-fu skills are even worse than my electronics ones ;)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:33:35 pm by Circuiteromalaguito »

Tac Eht Xilef

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2015, 12:43:47 am »
Yup, this Ronz person is butthurt that the moderator didn't agree with them pull the page  ::)

If you poke around a bit it's clear that some of the people involved are carrying grudges from times when similar things didn't go their way. So they've decided to flip sides and be overly-pedantic about it to make their point.

It's Wikidickery at its lamest...

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2015, 11:37:59 pm »
Looks like this Ronz person just deleted most of the Wiki article!
What's the point? If a Wiki article exists it might as well have as much info as possible on the person  :-//
It's all in how you interpret the rules. Ronz thinks that everything in an article must in and of itself be notable.

I'm sorry, I just didn't have time to deal with it any more.

If the page gets largely nuked again, I have an alternate strategy in mind for getting it back.
"banging meter needles into stop pins since 1965"

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2015, 12:34:11 am »
Well, Ronz has returned and has deleted enough, vaguely citing "BLP" (Wikipedia policy on Biographies of Living Persons) as a reason, that it's now a stub.

Next he will claim "nothing here establishes notability" and will propose the article be deleted entirely.

I am going to restore one point at a time and demand a rationale for each point's removal.

If that tactic fails I will simply restore it all, then move the article, i.e. rename it, to "EEVblog", and make it apparently about the YouTube channel, blog, and forums rather than Dave Jones. Of course there will be a redirect from "David L. Jones" to the new name. This avoids the BLP policy issues.

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2015, 01:35:08 am »
Well, Ronz has returned and has deleted enough, vaguely citing "BLP" (Wikipedia policy on Biographies of Living Persons) as a reason, that it's now a stub.

Next he will claim "nothing here establishes notability" and will propose the article be deleted entirely.

I am going to restore one point at a time and demand a rationale for each point's removal.

If that tactic fails I will simply restore it all, then move the article, i.e. rename it, to "EEVblog", and make it apparently about the YouTube channel, blog, and forums rather than Dave Jones. Of course there will be a redirect from "David L. Jones" to the new name. This avoids the BLP policy issues.

Thank you
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2015, 01:48:16 am »
Appearantly there is a term for people spending too much time on deleting Wikipedia articles.
http://nl.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wikinazi

Oddly enough there is no Wikipedia page describing that phenomenon. A bad sign!  :popcorn:
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2015, 01:55:20 am »
maybe done by the bat......

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2015, 02:25:40 am »

After all these months. How lame. It was investigated and the decision was made to keep it.

Perhaps someone should add the new Sydney Morning Herald Article:
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/batteriser-battery-life-extender-scam-or-saviour-20150915-gjmrql.html

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2015, 08:30:56 am »
I like it. I'll add it in the next "cycle". Update: Done.

Anything else that a) is coverage in a third-party source and b) isn't in the article already? (You might have to go back a version or two depending on which phase we're in of the sabotage/restore cycle, to see what all is in it...)

Note that if the article is converted an article about "EEVblog" there is more excuse for including links to significant videos. So that's not the worst thing.

Dave, I know you've said a few times that it doesn't matter that much whether you have a WP article or not. But I hate the attitude that these deletionists bring. "They delight in cliipping wings because they themselves cannot fly." - Heinlein
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:25:20 am by RickBrant »

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2015, 05:50:15 pm »
Note that if the article is converted an article about "EEVblog" there is more excuse for including links to significant videos. So that's not the worst thing.

That would be the BEST thing.  This is what I really wanted when I started this post. 

When I looked under EEVblog for links to his videos I got redirected to Dave's page without any links.  Then I saw the warning messages and started this topic.

The EEVblog article of course would have a bio on Dave.

So I believe it would be better for the good of man if there was an "EEVblog" article.

I would be willing to add the links from https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/electronics-primers-course-material-and-books/   and any other help I can do.

As an example:

Under the EEVblog heading we could put a topic "Capacitors"  and under this links to Dave's videos related to capacitors (if there any) AND links that members have submitted that contain useful info.

There are always good links given by members but no way to "file" them.

I believe this could lead to the most useful page on the net related to electronics because it would be using the combined knowledge of the forum members.  This would drive more traffic to Dave's YT channel and increase his ability to buy more toys to show us.

I am sure there are many members here would be willing to help.

What can I do to help?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2015, 06:23:28 pm »
Link to the Please tell us page, and the what component is this sticky threads.  That will be a good filling, and will be useful, along with the forum please read this thread.

Basically the first 5 sticky posts in Beginners, and the same in General Chat.

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2015, 06:55:53 pm »
My inclination is to let the current discussion run its course, see what article content can be successfully defended against the deletionists. They'll make the same arguments against any mention of Dave in an eevblog article.

But if you want to "be bold" and just move it now, you could do that. Well, almost. There is a redirect from "EEvblog" and deleting that might require admin intervention. Check the articles that exist about other YouTube channels for ideas about the required rewrite - if you just move the article without really rewriting it, it wont' be right at all.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2015, 07:11:19 pm »
Wikipedia is a waste of time, money and bandwidth.
Truth by consensus what a bunch of crap.
It is worse than Snopes.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2015, 07:53:40 am »

That would be the BEST thing.  This is what I really wanted when I started this post. 

When I looked under EEVblog for links to his videos I got redirected to Dave's page without any links.  Then I saw the warning messages and started this topic.

The EEVblog article of course would have a bio on Dave.

So I believe it would be better for the good of man if there was an "EEVblog" article.

Convert? Why no do both pages?
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2015, 08:33:29 am »
Because the page about "David L. Jones" is subject to their "Biography of Living Persons" (BLP) notability requirements. By going to a page about the channel we can sidestep that.

There is already a redirect from "EEvblog" to "David L. Jones", and should the page be converted to one about the channel, the opposite will be true, so both names will always get to the page.

What frosts me is that Electroboom has a page (under his real name, not "electroboom"), and nobody is saying a thing about that. Granted his videos are entertaining but ... (I am NOT saying electroboom's page should be deleted or challenged!)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 10:14:55 am by RickBrant »

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2015, 09:19:01 am »
Why not just get an admin involved? He's stubbed the page twice without discussion, and he's clearly just got an agenda and is intentionally being disruptive. Ronz's arguments are beyond stupid. Is he going to go around stubbing articles about musicians too, now? Or how about actors? I've dealt with people like him throughout my entire career (hence, I now work for myself)...the perfect storm of stupidity and arrogance.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 09:54:30 am by John Coloccia »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf