Author Topic: Dave's PCB rulers  (Read 45190 times)

Offline IonizedGearsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Dave's PCB rulers
« on: August 14, 2013, 05:36:04 am »
I live in Connecticut, USA so i can't show up to any convention where dave has a booth  |O which in itself is a letdown and i don't have the means to get one of those PCB rulers dave gives out. I was wondering if i could get some if i pay the postage or if i could buy them from someone or dave directly.
I am an EE with interests in Embedded, RF, Control Systems, and Nanotech.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
Re: Dave's PCB rulers
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 05:43:14 am »
Turn a problem into an opportunity. Design files - http://www.eevblog.com/uruler

Find a few people in advance, pool your money, get some made.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 05:53:06 am »
Turn a problem into an opportunity. Design files - http://www.eevblog.com/uruler

Okay then, let this be the topic for we could set up the pool. I only need 1 but i would like 10 of them(depending on the pooled cost per board) Hmm, perhaps we could use kickstarter as the broker for this to easily get these rulers for anyone.

Offline rexxar

• Frequent Contributor
    • Forever Tinkering
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 06:10:23 am »

Okay then, let this be the topic for we could set up the pool. I only need 1 but i would like 10 of them(depending on the pooled cost per board) Hmm, perhaps we could use kickstarter as the broker for this to easily get these rulers for anyone.

Sounds a lot like me. "I really only need one, but I sure would like ten::)

If they're reasonably priced, I'd definitely buy at least one.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 06:19:18 am »

Sounds a lot like me. "I really only need one, but I sure would like ten::)

If they're reasonably priced, I'd definitely buy at least one.

I meant i would get more than one if the boards were decently priced(and i just love having a bunch of the same thing).

But now i have thought of a dilemma, how are we going to do this exactly? We could get a company directly involved because there is the problem of shipping the boards everywhere  :scared:

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 06:54:59 am »
It wouldn't be too hard to get someone here to panelize a whole lot of the boards up, and get them made. problem is that I would expect that one ruler would cost somewhere in the range of $10.

-kizzap
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

Offline ttp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 09:31:39 am »
Anyone making it? I want a few.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 10:24:41 am »
They cost about 70 cents in volume. Could be cheaper, but that's what I'm paying.
Postage would be AU$2.60 from Oz to US if sent as a letter (which you technically aren't allowed to do, but it works)
The problem is when you get hundreds of people who want one and you spend a couple of days stuffing envelopes.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 10:38:21 am »
They cost about 70 cents in volume. Could be cheaper, but that's what I'm paying.
Postage would be AU$2.60 from Oz to US if sent as a letter (which you technically aren't allowed to do, but it works)
The problem is when you get hundreds of people who want one and you spend a couple of days stuffing envelopes.

Sweet, if you could sell them for a profit(for your troubles of having to send them out) + shipping, i would definitely buy around 5 rulers and i can only guess but i bet a good amount of other people would order as well :) 

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 10:47:20 am »
BTW, the new board has my ugly head on the back, and is 0.5mm instead of 0.8mm:

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 10:56:27 am »
I actually think the picture of your head is a nice touch as well as the OSH gear, the Flux "Condenser"  ;) , and the platypus.

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
Dave's PCB rulers
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 10:56:46 am »
What about get a hong kong company doing the shipment?
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline stevenhoneyman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 12:05:54 pm »
I'd love to buy one of these (I'm in the UK)

Just putting that here expressing my interest!

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 12:57:22 pm »
I'd gladly pay a fulfillment company (is that the correct term) a bit extra if Dave would get a batch made for overseas sales.

I'm not sure what they charge, or if there'd be enough interest.  I wonder if Limor (adafruit) would be interested?  I have to say, her company's shipping operation is a sight to see. (part of it can be seen each week on ask an engineer.)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 01:05:24 pm »
Maybe I should run a real quick'n'dirty Pozible campaign and see how it all works?

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
Dave's PCB rulers
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 02:05:57 pm »
Good idea
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 02:38:43 pm »
PCBGeek will take a Gerber file of the single board and supply as many as will fit on a 200 square inch panel for $99 including shipping to the US.  Guessing the rulers are 1" wide, that yields about 28 boards resulting in a cost of about $3.50 per board.

Assuming Dave wouldn't mind if somebody else made and sold the boards, somebody could have a lot fabricated and sell them at a reasonable cost with a small profit for the trouble.

I have personally used PCBGeek in the past and received good quality boards from them.

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 02:43:47 pm »
As Dave said, the problem is in the addressing and packaging and shipping.   I suppose a reasonable person wouldn't mind paying what this is worth, but it's tedious work.  That's why I suggested using a company that already is set up for this sort of thing, but I'm not sure if the quantities work out.  Too few and it wouldn't be worth anyone's time.  Too many, and some would be overwhelmed.

I guess that's why Dave suggested a crowd funding option - we'd get a good idea of quantity so that an appropriate fulfillment method could be determined based on quantity.

• Regular Contributor
Re: Re: Dave's PCB rulers
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 06:12:40 pm »
As Dave said, the problem is in the addressing and packaging and shipping.   I suppose a reasonable person wouldn't mind paying what this is worth, but it's tedious work.  That's why I suggested using a company that already is set up for this sort of thing, but I'm not sure if the quantities work out.  Too few and it wouldn't be worth anyone's time.  Too many, and some would be overwhelmed.

I guess that's why Dave suggested a crowd funding option - we'd get a good idea of quantity so that an appropriate fulfillment method could be determined based on quantity.

I thought about that but the problem was if you don't know how many people want one, you can't set the prices on the donation accurately if you are doing it by amount of orders

Offline JJalling

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 07:47:42 pm »
Maybe I should run a real quick'n'dirty Pozible campaign and see how it all works?

Do it! :)  :-+

BR Jonas

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 02:37:47 am »
As Dave said, the problem is in the addressing and packaging and shipping.

Pozible have told me that after the campaign I can download all the names and addresses in .CSV format. If so then it is easy to load into my label printer and print them off.
Then it's just sticking labels, stuffing envelopes, and a stamp. The rulers would have to be just tossed lose in the envelops to save time.
I can get pre-paid $2.60 stamps for international postage in bulk.
This all sounds quite doable.
BTW, the boards might be US$0.73 but cost about AU$1 ea when you include courier and the now shitty aussie exchange rate.
How does AU$10 inc postage for two boards sound? That would make it worth my while I think.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 02:41:47 am »

That's the great thing about all or nothing crowd sourcing. If set a target which makes it worth your while. If you don't reach it you don't bother with it.

Offline Mike Warren

• Supporter
    • Personal Website
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 02:49:04 am »
How does AU$10 inc postage for two boards sound? That would make it worth my while I think.

Sounds quite reasonable to me.  :-+

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 03:28:25 am »
Ok, I've launched a pozible campaign, will take at least a day to get approved.
2 for $10 or 5 for $15 inc postage.

Offline Mike Warren

• Supporter
    • Personal Website
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 03:32:14 am »
Got a link? Excuse my ignorance, but I have no idea how these campaigns work.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf