Author Topic: ChipQuik - A joke, or actual a useful product?  (Read 4581 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: ChipQuik - A joke, or actual a useful product?
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2023, 09:47:36 pm »
Neutral cure is a better choice for electronics, but the standard stuff is not the guaranteed problem people often say it is. In small quantities under reasonable conditions it's fine. If you can easily get neutral cure then use that instead.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2023, 12:23:14 am »
blabla

Would you please keep your opinion to yourself? Facts? Go fact check yourself!  :-DD

Wow, such arrogance, you admit English is not your first language and then wont allow yourself to be corrected by the English speaking community. You are absolutely wrong in this matter.
As eblaster linked: https://www.britannica.com/technology/adhesive

Adhesion
In the performance of adhesive joints, the physical and chemical properties of the adhesive are the most important factors. Also important in determining whether the adhesive joint will perform adequately are the types of adherend (that is, the components being joined—e.g., metal alloy, plastic, composite material) and the nature of the surface pretreatment or primer.
In general, more than one of these mechanisms play a role in achieving the desired level of adhesion for various types of adhesive and adherend.

Anything that bonds/glues/joins to materials is an adhesive and has adhesion properties, a failure to have such a property would prevent it serving it's primary purpose of being an adhesive. Even blu-tack is an adhesive even though we would not consider it a glue, as it has adhesion properties that make it useful for temporally adhering things to other things.

This includes your example of solder mask, it is an adhesive that has good adhesion properties for copper and FR4. Even paint is an adhesive and depending on the type depends on it's adhesion properties for different materials such as metal, wood, plastic, cement, etc.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 12:41:02 am by gnif »

Online eTobeyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2023, 09:57:41 am »

You may want to read the first sentence in your link... maybe a few times.

Soldermask can not be used as an adhesive, since its cohesion properties are rather bad in most situations. Ever heard of that word? I guess not.
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2023, 11:10:09 am »

Soldermask can not be used as an adhesive, since its cohesion properties are rather bad in most situations. Ever heard of that word? I guess not.

Gosh, you're just a fountain of happiness, aren't you...

I've seen some pretty damn solid soldermask.  It ranges from somewhat-easily peeled enamels, to whole-ass epoxy resin + filer systems.  Seems the stuff usually used by western fabs in production work, usually matte green, is the most tenacious.  Enough that I somewhat prefer the weaker material for prototyping, since it's easier to scrape off and make new connections.  You can't tell me epoxy resin is neither adhesive nor cohesive.

The main thing you can't do with soldermask is fill blind gaps, because it's UV cured.  That said, hand-applied mask is often used to cover repairs/bodges, and it does an excellent job spanning over open materials and surfaces.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2023, 02:17:06 pm »

Ok...

any substance that is capable of holding materials together in a functional manner by surface attachment that resists separation.

1. For the solder-mask to function, it needs to be held to the PCB and firmly bond to both the FR4 and the copper (and/or gold/tin, depending on plating).
2. The solder-mask often contains a pigment held in solution, which it must also bond to.
3. Once the epoxy has cured, it needs to remain attached to the PCB and resist separation from it.

I wonder if the fact that solder-mask does these things causes it to fall under the "any substance" part.

Soldermask can not be used as an adhesive

I never said it could be used as one, however it IS an adhesive or it would not adhere itself at all to anything, as such it has adhesive properties. Just because it's an adhesive doesn't mean it's made to glue things to other things. It's designed to glue ITSELF to the PCB.

Ever heard of that word? I guess not.

The tendency of two or more different molecules to bond with each other is known as adhesion, whereas the force of attraction between the same molecules is known as cohesion.

Seems you have not either then unless copper, fibre glass, and the solder mask are all the same molecules  :-DD

https://byjus.com/chemistry/cohesive
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 02:49:39 pm by gnif »

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2023, 05:52:02 pm »
I don't see what is so complicated about this language concept. An adhesive is something that has the property of adhesion, which is to adhere, these are all forms of the same base word. Usually when one speaks of an "adhesive" they are referring to glue but technically the word is not limited to that use. All glues are adhesives but not all adhesives are glues. Glue is specifically an adhesive substance intended for bonding something to something else.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf