Author Topic: Did you see the new .. I mean unique way to learn code  (Read 13253 times)

Offline BlochTopic starter

• Supporter
Did you see the new .. I mean unique way to learn code
« on: July 23, 2014, 09:45:04 am »
First to the moderator pls do move this to the beginners section if that is a better place ?

http://codebabes.com/

My guess is that it will popular. But better ? maybe they did just nailed it at least for male portion of code wannabes

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
Re: Did you see the new .. I mean unique way to learn code
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 10:40:24 am »
I tried to watch it ,,,, but ,,,,

That voice! , I've noticed that sound is completely fake in most , that from down the back of the throat and like a crow sounds when its going arrrk arrrrk ...

I've seen on tv a normal sounding sheila from that country start talking quite normal but if its being interviewed or in a discussion with a person that sounds like the video the normal sounding one will slowly start arrk arrking sometimes real quick and sometimes just a word here or a word there until its quite often and both sound like robots swapping machine code to each other .. Total fake imo ...sometimes one can even see them listening to themselves to make sure they have the sound correct HaHaHaHa ..

In others like tv cops , one will hear it ark arrrking but then when it cracks the sh_ts or chucks a wobbly a totally different sound comes out mostly higher octave stuff and then it'll calm down and slowly get back into arrk arrk arrking but tuning itself in ..

I spent years studying this phenomenon and believe it or not its actual sex based so they think (not female but sex) , spare a thought for poor me watching our tv out here which is probably 70% American ...ARK ARRRK ARRRRK .
Soon

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:53:16 am »
Vocal fry. Look it up.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 12:35:05 pm »
Yeah, I made it as far as "My Sequel".  Gah.  No.  It's three letters.  An acronym.  Not a word.  Three distinct letters, S Q L, not sequel, it's not the follow on to something.

Do you pronounce IBM "ibim"?  No you don't.  So why does anybody think SQL gets any different treatment!
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 12:51:46 pm »
Do you pronounce IBM "ibim"?  No you don't.  So why does anybody think SQL gets any different treatment!

ibim :D  that reminded me of the DooVDe player by fonejacker :D

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 01:06:24 pm »
Vocal fry. Look it up.

Yo I did look it up thanks for the hint , amazing that some are even categorizing it all now , but so far no mention of crows that I looked at , there's even a wiki ..

Prof Butcher in this http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/women-using-8216vocal-fry8217-to-sound-more-authoritative-sexy/story-fneuz9ev-1226716000951 even suggests that people do not know they are doing it , maybe he or she should watch tv and watch them tuning themselves to tune and then watch it spreading to the non-fryers ... like a virus , I have even noticed when some start to mimic it in a discussion that they catch on (or wake up) and deliberately and consciously try keep to normal as if going back , as if something is wrong? , its also catching on out here too , I nearly said something to a checkout girl just the other week as it was so obvious that it was practising and self tuning by ear .. but it would have come over as offensive like "what do you want to sound like a American for , don't you know about them?)

Next it'll be that everyone has got a pout! (which incidentally is copied from the before and around giving birth events in a lot , I got that one figured out too :-//)
Soon

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 01:09:33 pm »
Microsoft started the "sequel" thing. Others just picked up on it. Yes annoying.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline dfmischler

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 03:33:02 pm »

Actually, I think it was commonly referred to as SEQUEL by IBMers (who created it) in the very early days.  But I generally pronounce it "SQUEAL".  You know, the sound that a pig makes  ;)

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 03:33:10 pm »
Militant feminists are going to have a seizure if they see this.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 04:15:23 pm »
Militant feminists are going to have a seizure if they see this.

Considering some of the things I've seen some quoted as saying before, maybe that wouldn't be so bad if they seized up.
But hey if this woman is happy with her job explaining technology in this way and isn't being exploited or forced into doing it, that's her business and I would hope that any militant feminists would recognize that.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 04:16:25 pm »

Actually, I think it was commonly referred to as SEQUEL by IBMers (who created it) in the very early days.  But I generally pronounce it "SQUEAL".  You know, the sound that a pig makes  ;)
You might as well just snort  :-DD I normally pronounce it "SEQUEL" and not "S-Q-L"
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline TheBorg

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hoping to start an EE degree soon...
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 04:32:22 pm »
My-S-Q-L.

It's not like I say "hateimal" for HTML or "kss" for CSS.
Youtube Channel - Assimilated Circuits
We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 08:40:04 pm »
S.Q.L. does not pronounce well in English, since it does not fit the pattern of an English word.

If we spelled it out phonetically, it would be "escuel", and the stress would fall naturally on the second syllable, as in "esCUel" (natural), rather than the last syllable, "escuEL" (unnatural).

On the other hand, "sequel" is an English word, and the stress falls naturally on the first syllable, "SEquel".

In English, as in all languages, the tendency is to adjust words so they sound right and fit the pattern of the language. Thus, "Sequel".

Any acronym that is pronounceable as a word tends to go that way. For instance, do you say "P.I.N." or "pin"? "S.A.T. or "sat"?

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 12:00:43 am »
Rockwell Automation has a product called RSSQL that pretty much everyone I've heard pronounces as "Rascal".

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 10:56:32 am »
S.Q.L. does not pronounce well in English, since it does not fit the pattern of an English word.

If we spelled it out phonetically, it would be "escuel", and the stress would fall naturally on the second syllable, as in "esCUel" (natural), rather than the last syllable, "escuEL" (unnatural).

On the other hand, "sequel" is an English word, and the stress falls naturally on the first syllable, "SEquel".

In English, as in all languages, the tendency is to adjust words so they sound right and fit the pattern of the language. Thus, "Sequel".

Any acronym that is pronounceable as a word tends to go that way. For instance, do you say "P.I.N." or "pin"? "S.A.T. or "sat"?

+1, Sequel rolls off the tongue much more easily than S Q L.  On a more basic level, earlier replies seem to work from the axiom that English is a perfectly logical and consistent language, which is a bad start to an argument...

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 03:47:45 pm »
Vocal fry. Look it up.

Yo I did look it up thanks for the hint , amazing that some are even categorizing it all now , but so far no mention of crows that I looked at , there's even a wiki ..

Prof Butcher in this http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/women-using-8216vocal-fry8217-to-sound-more-authoritative-sexy/story-fneuz9ev-1226716000951 even suggests that people do not know they are doing it , maybe he or she should watch tv and watch them tuning themselves to tune and then watch it spreading to the non-fryers ... like a virus , I have even noticed when some start to mimic it in a discussion that they catch on (or wake up) and deliberately and consciously try keep to normal as if going back , as if something is wrong? , its also catching on out here too , I nearly said something to a checkout girl just the other week as it was so obvious that it was practising and self tuning by ear .. but it would have come over as offensive like "what do you want to sound like a American for , don't you know about them?)

Next it'll be that everyone has got a pout! (which incidentally is copied from the before and around giving birth events in a lot , I got that one figured out too :-//)

Jen from the UK TV show "IT Crowd" does this vocal fry.
Now that I have heard of the affectation, I appreciate the comedy of the show more .
Clever sod that Graham Linehan chap is

Offline bluejonah

• Contributor
  • Heyooo
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 06:26:53 pm »
A) I'm gay (shocker, right) so this really does nothing to me except annoy me.
B) Really? You have to sexually exploit women just to freaking learn something? God, what kind of moron is that?! Although, if it were a really cute (but nerdy and not "ripped") guy.... well, I dunno. Yes, reverse sexism.
C) I've always pronounced it as My-Sequel. That's what I learned it as. Plus, it just makes sense, I guess. When I hear someone say "My S-q-l" I kinda twitch for some reason. It doesn't matter either way because I understand what you mean. And that's all that matters.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 03:12:11 pm »
Lame video. It compromise heavily on both coding and beauty.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 09:47:35 pm »
IMHO SCSI is the weirdest pronounced acronym: skwoezie. And then try to make some Malaysian computer tech understand what you mean. They pronounce it more like skoesie. Like the Italian word for sorry  :scared:

@Zapta: lame video indeed. She doesn't get naked.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 10:28:46 pm »
do you say "P.I.N." or "pin"? "S.A.T. or "sat"?

That's a strange set of examples to pick ... pin and S.A.Tees. are the norm respectively AFAICT.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:33:14 pm by Marco »

Offline bluejonah

• Contributor
  • Heyooo
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 11:14:30 pm »
I always just say "S.C.S.I" because it sounds weird to say scuzzy or something.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 04:11:48 am »
Skuzzee. How I've always said it. AS well as saytah (SATA) and paytah (PATA.) IDE is just I.D.E
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline FrankenPC

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 04:48:51 am »
Skuzzee. How I've always said it. AS well as saytah (SATA) and paytah (PATA.) IDE is just I.D.E

That's a good point.  All the other acronyms are hit with a dose of lazy.  Why not IDE?  Iddy?  Eyedy? 
Chinglish poetry: In the hot summer. In the car ran full steam. It tastes strange. For this worry? With this fan will bring you a cool summer. Suitable for all kinds of cars. Agricultural vehicles. Van. Tricycle.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 04:59:53 am »

You might as well just snort  :-DD I normally pronounce it "SEQUEL" and not "S-Q-L"

My view is, IBM invented SQL (I think), they have the privilege of naming it.  Since they call it SEQUEL, that is the name...

IMHO SCSI is the weirdest pronounced acronym: skwoezie. And then try to make some Malaysian computer tech understand what you mean. They pronounce it more like skoesie. Like the Italian word for sorry  :scared:

@Zapta: lame video indeed. She doesn't get naked.

Control Data Corp (CDC) invented SCSI (so I was told).   They call it scut-zee, so it is.  They invented it, their privilege.

CDC was one of the seven dwarfs (while IBM was snow white) of then.  CDC made the Cyber Super Computer (Seymour Cray's work) - before he went off to build the Cray Super Computers.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2014, 05:05:00 am »
It's more ska than sku, think about skull, it's not even close. I don't care what wiki says about sounding like the u in gun or dull. I've always heard it as ska (like the music genre) then zee like the z in zz top.

As for SQL is pronounced sequel as in a tv show.  As for IBM I always pronounced it as "I've Been Moved"

Edit: scut-zee is closer but I've never heard the T so if the T is silent then it will be exactly how I've heard it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:13:09 am by miguelvp »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf