Author Topic: digikey Delivery Options ???  (Read 16486 times)

Offline eevblogfanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
digikey Delivery Options ???
« on: June 12, 2012, 10:52:52 am »
hey

I have orderd 5X MCP6V27's

the shipping took only 4 days (in't shipping ) , the delivery man call me and asked for 106$ , the op amps cost me only 13.5$ total , oh ????/

what delivery option shall I choose in digikey ? (at least somthing normal 0_0 )

thank you and I hope thats the right forume ,

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
Re: digikey Delivery Options ???
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 11:21:33 am »
What country  are you from, and have you already paid? or how did you purchase without paying first?
From Australia it is cheaper postage to order from Microchip directly.
It was $15 dollars last time I did it.

Offline lk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 11:30:35 am »
I always make sure i order more items so that i get free shipping from digikey, but even without freeshipping its only around 22$ shipped to Denmark. Could it be import duties?

-lk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 11:32:48 am »
hey

I am from israel ,

I dont know , I paied 13.5$ , and I have asked for shipping cost , the UPS people told me they don't have the price for that and the delivery man will give me that ,

I was shoked for the huge price they were asked for , I send the delivery man back with the small 5 MCP6V27's  to digikey ( yes , digikey would pay for the delivery back to them )

it has only UPS or DHL , WTF ??? why ? can't they use the damm mail ?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 11:38:43 am »
Try the Microchip site, they might have a better delivery price.
I wouldn't pay $106 for courier, "tell em they're dreaming".

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 11:44:12 am »
hey

thank you , it's sort of what I've done :P

I'll chek them . and replay

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 11:52:05 am »
hey

in microchip they ask for 14.04$ . but I can't see any shipping cost

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 11:55:25 am »
Sometimes you have to start checking out the cart before they calculate the shipping, because until then they don't know the weight.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 12:03:24 pm »
mouser wanted 52$ for 5 units ( including the shipping cost )

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 12:20:05 pm »
Microchip quoted me $25 US including delivery to Aus.
They ship from Thailand which makes it cheaper than going to the US.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:21:46 pm by HackedFridgeMagnet »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 12:25:00 pm »
oh ?   whay was the delevery cost ? 

mine was 40$ . and 12$ for op amp's

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 12:37:20 pm »
I don't get why the delivery man is asking for money.
Other than maybe sales tax, but that would only be a few dollars on $13.5 worth of items.

When i buy stuff from Digikey i pay on their website for the goods and shipping cost (if under the free shipping limit).

The only thing i sometimes have to pay when the package arrives is the local sales tax, but they only bother collecting that if they see over ~NZ$300 on the customs form.
So with digikey free shipping at NZ$125 i just keep my orders under the $300 limit.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:40:17 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 12:47:49 pm »
hey

whay company to you uses ? I've choosen UPS in't , there was DHL or UPS , do you have another one ?

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 01:02:39 pm »
4 day shipping sounds like DHL Express or something like that, it's basically courier service, rush order and so on... it's normal to pay about 60-100$ for such package.

To Romania where I live, Digikey costs 20$ through UPS Saver (or something similarly named) if the package contents is worth less than 200$.  Naturally, since it's from outside EU I have to pay 24% VAT and about 3-5% customs fees.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 01:30:20 pm »
4 day shipping sounds like DHL Express or something like that, it's basically courier service, rush order and so on... it's normal to pay about 60-100$ for such package.

I get around 3-4 days order-to-delivery from Digikey using just the typical free shipping.
And NZ isn't exactly close to USA.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Architect_1077

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 02:19:06 pm »
Naturally, since it's from outside EU I have to pay 24% VAT and about 3-5% customs fees.

Trust the European governments to tear you a new one with their taxes and fees...

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 06:22:15 pm »
... I live in Singapore and didn't choose anything, came in 6 days and only cost me 8$ They wrote DHL Express on the bottom paper on the box but clearly not (Microchip)
Now here's the box it came in  :o

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 04:34:50 pm »
hello , the following mail was send by digikey's people :

"delivery .
I  received a call from UPS regarding the shipment of the order you placed by internet on June 6th. We shipped the package to you via UPS per your request on June 6th.  UPS has contacted us to advise us that you have refused the order or have not had funds available at time of delivery.   Because you placed the order shipping against your UPS account you are responsible for all charges.   I am emailing you to make you aware of your options.
1.) You may clear the package and pay the required duties/taxes/brokerage fees, and accept the package.
 2.) If the clearance paperwork is not provided, Digi-Key will need to decide whether to have it returned or abandoned.
a.) If the package is returned to us, we will only issue credit to you for the cost of the parts less the return shipping charges to DigiKey. You will also be responsible for the initial shipping charges. Also, if UPS requires payment of the duties/taxes for the package being returned to the United States, DigiKey will be billed for these charges from UPS and in turn, we will bill you for these charges.
b.) If the package is abandoned, you will be charged for the cost of the parts and the initial shipping charges which was invoiced on the original invoice as 53.45 no credit will be issued to you. If  UPS requires payment of the duties & taxes that have been accessed by customs, DigiKey will be billed for these charges from UPS, and in turn, we will bill you for these charges.
Please respond by June 14th with your decision as to whether you will accept the package.  If we do not hear from you, DigiKey will need to make the decision to have the package returned or abandoned.  Since we processed & shipped your order as you requested, you will be billed for any additional fees accordingly. 

Best Regards "

OH ??? WTF ???

what shall I do >?

thank you in advance and have ancie day !

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 05:13:42 pm »
That is UPS for you. I wont buy from any body that uses only UPS as they charge both for import duties and a commission plus handling charges on every thing that comes from abroad and usually the fees come to several times the cost of the item. I have had the same from Fedex so they are also on my black list, I would urge every one else to beware of these companies as well. Another thing I have noticed about companies that use UPS or Fedex as an option it is by default in the delivery option selection tick boxes which look like like the buttons are provided by UPS and fedex, So I wonder if the selling company gets a commission from UPS and fedex.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:18:54 pm by G7PSK »

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 05:33:36 pm »
Tariffs, customs duties, taxes and any imaginable kind of fees is the name of the game...

Digikey delivery to Greece (ordering from digikey.gr) is also tragic: They claim free delivery service for purchases of 65 Euros and greater, using UPS; but UPS, as any other courier service, will try their best to charge customs clearance fees and other taxes and fees, which can easily exceed an additional amount of 120 Euros... The only way around is to order from digikey.com, pay in USD currency instead of Euros and to ask for the USPS ground delivery option.

On the other hand, ordering from the Farnell Export (export.farnell.com) division (in GBP currency) is straightforward and much friendlier in delivery costs, even though they also use UPS...

-George
Hi! This is George; and I am three and a half years old!
(This was one of my latest realisations, now in my early fifties!...)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 05:38:43 pm »
thank you george

do you know what shall I do ? ( from they're list of charge etc )

they might bill me for over 250$+ the 13.5$

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 06:08:24 pm »
You are welcome. But I am not sure that I have any suggestions because I do not know how things work in your country. I guess that you would not like to be blacklisted as a customer, by Digikey or any other corporation.

What I did in a similar situation was to personally attend the clearance through customs, saving myself an amount of EUR 60+ fees that the customs brokers were charging me. But I do not know if I would do that again, since I think that the petrol cost to and from the customs office plus the few hours hassle needed for that task is not worth the monetary amount I saved myself...

-George
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 06:09:57 pm by A Hellene »
Hi! This is George; and I am three and a half years old!
(This was one of my latest realisations, now in my early fifties!...)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 06:54:27 pm »
thenk you agine George !

so shall I pay them the Fu**ing 106$ and losse almost all of my entier budget for the next 2 month ? just for not being in the blacklist of digikey ?

is that the apropriate deed ?

I am still SHOKED from the mail they've sent me 0_0 ,

thank you in advance for any sort of input regard to this thread , it'll help A-Lot !!

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 09:05:31 pm »
thenk you agine George !

so shall I pay them the Fu**ing 106$ and losse almost all of my entier budget for the next 2 month ? just for not being in the blacklist of digikey ?

is that the apropriate deed ?

I am still SHOKED from the mail they've sent me 0_0 ,

thank you in advance for any sort of input regard to this thread , it'll help A-Lot !!

You got two choice mate ... 106$ or possibly blacklist

but there are things you don't really need to go to digikey for (I use CPC Farnell/E14 for that)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 11:23:25 pm »
Although I am sure you have already done this.
I would re-read the terms on whatever you agreed too, and re-do the process through which you bought the product. ie. click through the web pages.

Then decide for yourself if you were negligent or if digikey was negligent or if somebody is just price gouging.

My feeling is you have a fairly strong case, not many people would order $15 worth of chips and expect a bill of over $100.

Once you are sure to what extent who's fault it is, I would try to negotiate with them. (Ask them what fairer options they can give to help resolve the situation)
Promise them that you acted in good faith and that the price is completely unfair.
Explain to them that you are likely to be a good customer in the future and this has been a mistake.
But also tell them that you don't like being bullied and you dont write blank cheques, nobody does, and that you can and you will expose any unreasonable behaviour by Digikey.

I wouldn't worry about being blacklisted, somebody has to stand up to these companies, it may as well be you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf