General > General Technical Chat

Dim bulb tester / powersupply ?

(1/3) > >>

KD0CAC John:
One of the bench projects has been to put together a dim-bulb-tester .
My variac is lower power than I would prefer for this project - so spending money there , and elsewhere to build .
Most of my variable power supplies are DC .
Another piece of equipment for the bench [ future ] variable AC .

A friend gave me a Kepco M36-15 , volts 0-36 volts , amps 15 , it has a crowbar system [ not sure what it can do etc. ] but the idea of connecting to shielding on boards - heat up as little as possible to remove , vs. using hot-air station & disturbing other components etc.
Not sure if a powersupply with " crowbar " is capable to repeatedly performing this ?

If the crowbar in powersupplies could be used as part of a dim-bulb-tester ?
I have limited space , so getting as much as possible out of as little [ space ] as possible ?

Mostly as a hobby , and retirement supplementing income ;)   

Benta:
First, you'll need to explain what a "dim-bulb-tester" is.
I've never heard of such a thing before.

KD0CAC John:
May not get all the details , but basically using a variac to slowly bring up power on a device [ either unknown history , in for repair or older electrolytics etc. ] and power goes through an incandescent light bulb - dim if no high draw / shorts and bright if high current draw .

BrokenYugo:
"Crowbar" is a fairly broad term, more detail about the equipment and intent is needed. Dim bulb is usually used just because it's cheap and fit for purpose.

--- Quote from: Benta on January 26, 2022, 11:25:34 pm ---First, you'll need to explain what a "dim-bulb-tester" is.
I've never heard of such a thing before.

--- End quote ---

A dim bulb tester is just an ordinary lamp socket in series with mains, and a collection of tungsten lamps to screw in. Used a quick and dirty way of powering up electronics when you have concerns of things going short and doing damage. Bulb is sized to at most dimly light (minimal voltage drop) under normal operation of the DUT, hence the name. Good for tube gear, SMPS repair, etc.

Benta:

--- Quote from: BrokenYugo on January 26, 2022, 11:38:16 pm ---A dim bulb tester is just an ordinary lamp socket in series with mains, and a collection of tungsten lamps to screw in. Used a quick and dirty way of powering up electronics when you have concerns of things going short and doing damage. Bulb is sized to at most dimly light (minimal voltage drop) under normal operation of the DUT, hence the name. Good for tube gear, SMPS repair, etc.

--- End quote ---

Ah. Thank You.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version