Author Topic: Disappointed by Rigol  (Read 2534 times)

Offline crispusTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Disappointed by Rigol
« on: November 17, 2017, 03:09:04 pm »
Hello everyone,

I bought an used/demo/etc Rigol DSA-815-TG from rigol.eu/clearance (Germany).
The next day I received an email saying that the instrument has EMI Filter & QP enabled (EMI-DSA800 sold for €499).

When I received the analyzer, I checked the license but the option is not activated unfortunately.
It seems that was an error in Rigol's system and Rigol apologized for it.

I do have a question (rather for a fellow member from Germany): Since I have an invoice with this option (obviously for €0) can this be considered a legally binding contract? :D
For completeness sake, I was not aware of this option at buy time. But still, it is disappointing.
I know I'm numskull, but I look around me and I feel better.

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Disappointed by Rigol
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 03:25:17 pm »
Yeah,I think, when its explicitly mentioned on the invoice. They should deliver.

Wetter its 0 or 1.000.000 EUR, doesn't matter. Might as-well be a discount.

Offline Cervisia

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 03:36:32 pm »
Did you get that email after they accepted the order? If yes, then it is not part of the contract.
(But their AGB do not say what constitutes acceptance; did you get anything more than the confirmation that your order was received?)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 03:41:26 pm by Cervisia »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 03:51:49 pm »
Yes, the email was received afterwards. But beside the email text, there was an invoice attached as well stating that the option is installed at no cost.

Offline Cervisia

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 04:07:52 pm »
So the invoice was different from the purchase contract? And afterwards they corrected it?

An invoice alone is not a legally binding mechanism to change the contract. (Imagine if the price was suddenly higher …)

You could have interpreted the discrepancy between the original contract and the invoice as an offer to change the contract, in which case you should have told them that you accept their offer. But I guess you didn't, and that would have been an opportunity for them to answer "oops, that was not an offer but a mistake".

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 04:19:27 pm »
I'm not a lawyer.

But a invoice should specify what it is you bought. If what you bought is not inline with the invoice, then:
a) the invoice gets credited for that part  (or should be)
b) the goods / services still needs to be still delivered

I would ask them either to deliver, or to credit it (even if its 0).

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 04:53:30 pm »
If it is on the invoice then it should be delivered. I think the whole point is moot though because AFAIK all options can be enabled with an online key generator (riglol).
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 10:49:57 pm »
I bought a mobile phone online from Kogan (a well known but rather shady company here in Australia) for the advertised price. Got an invoice/receipt immediately. A day later I get an email saying the phone was too cheap, so they are refunding my money or I can pay $100 more for the phone. It took almost a month for the money to be refunded into my bank account, after several phone calls and emails to them. Maybe I am wrong, but I believe Ruslan Kogan (the owner of the company) broke our consumer laws by violating a written contract. He didn't care at all.

The lesson I learnt from this dodgy Kogan deal was to buy from a reputable dealer, even if it is a tad more expensive.

Emona Instruments actually sells Rigol for a similar or cheaper price than eBay here, and Emona are a respected and trusted dealer. In Australia, I only deal with Emona for test equipment. I have found them to be excellent in all aspects.

http://www.emona.com.au/

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 11:37:10 pm »
Was the option advertised when you bought the unit?

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 11:52:30 pm »
I would ask them either to deliver, or to credit it (even if its 0).
I had to think about this.

Here's your revised invoice. And your credit of 0.00 has been added to your account. To spend your 0.00, just make any purchase as normal, and your credit will automatically be subtracted from your purchase!

Thanks, and have a nice day.

Basically, OP bought X product for Y dollars. He received an invoice for X + Q, with itemized invoice for Y dollars. Q was listed as 0.00. The only mistake is on a piece of paper. But I suppose they might be playing funny games to cheat on their taxes. Writing off a higher value product as demo/marketing. So yeah, maybe you should ask for a revised invoice. Particularly if it is going to affect your taxes.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 12:17:32 am »
Was the option advertised when you bought the unit?
For completeness sake, I was not aware of this option at buy time. But still, it is disappointing.
Moreover, I'd buy it again. As nctnico pointed out, I don't need any option ;)

The binding contract question was just out of curiosity. I'm not going to sue anyone. I believe it was an honest mistake.

They sent the initial invoice (no option included), I paid it. The shipped the product.
The next day, I received a new message saying that the instrument has the option installed, and a new  invoice for that option for zero euro.
So yeah, maybe you should ask for a revised invoice. Particularly if it is going to affect your taxes.
No need since I don't get a deduction for this and the VAT is payed in this case by the vendor.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf