Author Topic: Disappointed with Mouser Customer Service  (Read 4075 times)

Offline Sal AmmoniacTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Disappointed with Mouser Customer Service
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2022, 08:05:08 pm »
I did tell them I was only planning on buying the one board. I didn't tell them this is for a hobby project, however.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2022, 10:38:11 pm »
If its for hobby use, did you consider a shield, VESC or similar projects?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802309960476.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802163644561.html Odrive
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2022, 11:15:29 pm »

If its for hobby use, did you consider a shield, VESC or similar projects?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802309960476.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802163644561.html Odrive

The second one looks interesting. I've never ordered anything from China before, but I don't suppose their customer service can be any worse than Mouser's...   :-DD

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2022, 11:51:22 pm »
Just heard back from Mouser. ST wants to know what my "volume" is for this board. I fail to see how that's relevant to the issue at hand. Is ST going to tell me to pound sand because I will only ever buy one of these boards?  |O

Nowadays there are a lot of muppets between you and the people that can actually answer your questions.  It seems to be the latest fashion in corporate strategy.  That questions sounds like you are still dealing with the muppets--in fact it sounds like something a senior muppet would tell the junior muppet handling the inquiry to do.  There might be more positive interpretations, but yeah it kind of looks like the prelude to telling you to fuck off.  As in "you are not a valuable customer, so don't bother us and be thankful you can even give us your money at all".
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: Zeyneb

Offline Zeyneb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2022, 12:07:51 am »
Just heard back from Mouser. ST wants to know what my "volume" is for this board. I fail to see how that's relevant to the issue at hand. Is ST going to tell me to pound sand because I will only ever buy one of these boards?  |O

hmm, if I were you I would complain to Mouser about this attitude from ST and how irrelevant this is. Mouser at least has some authority to ST to get you in contact with a more knowledgeable person than that muppet.

EDIT:
I think you should point out that ST should take responsibility to work with you in fixing a potential defective product.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 12:16:50 am by Zeyneb »
goto considered awesome!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2022, 07:49:21 pm »
Still no response/resolution back from Mouser/ST. How long should I wait until calling my credit card company and initiating a chargeback?

Offline Zeyneb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2022, 08:12:38 pm »
I did tell them I was only planning on buying the one board. I didn't tell them this is for a hobby project, however.
and
Still no response/resolution back from Mouser/ST. How long should I wait until calling my credit card company and initiating a chargeback?

I think you're still stuck with that ST muppet. You answered 1 on the volume question and after that you've got completely ignored. Mouser just passes messages between you and ST.

I think it's time to play tough with Mouser about this. And go for the suggestion I shown you.  A credit card chargeback would be an option in a later stage.

Ask Mouser to get you in contact with a proper engineering-level contact at ST to resolve the issue.

EDIT: You've the right to get a proper functional board. Fight for it! Mouser also should take responsibility in this case.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 08:20:28 pm by Zeyneb »
goto considered awesome!

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2022, 08:26:48 pm »
How long should I wait until calling my credit card company and initiating a chargeback?

I would recommend against that.  It may depend on whether your card is consumer or business.  If business, don't do it, unless fraud is involved.  Technically, it is not fraud as you gave your card information freely.  If it is consumer, I would still not go that route, even if the contract allows it.  You just need to get past the muppets.  Your last resort would be a small claims case against Mouser.  Mouser/Berkshire Hathaway know that.  It won't get that far, but there will be frustration before it is resolved.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2022, 09:49:14 pm »
I would recommend against that.  It may depend on whether your card is consumer or business.  If business, don't do it, unless fraud is involved.  Technically, it is not fraud as you gave your card information freely.  If it is consumer, I would still not go that route, even if the contract allows it.  You just need to get past the muppets.  Your last resort would be a small claims case against Mouser.  Mouser/Berkshire Hathaway know that.  It won't get that far, but there will be frustration before it is resolved.

Its nothing to do with fraud, its a chargeback because vendor is not allowing you to return a defective item. They literally have a code for it: https://chargebacks911.com/chargeback-reason-codes/visa/13-3-defective-or-not-as-described-merchandise-services/

Of course as a courtesy to Mouser, you can let them know "Hey, I am submitting a chargeback for this order on July 1, because it is defective and you are not providing instructions on how to return it to you for a refund, let me know before then what to do"
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2022, 10:04:35 pm »
The last time I faced that issue was with a Chase business card.  As I said, consumer rules may be different or both may have changed.
Visa chargeback reason code 13.3 falls under the “Consumer Disputes” category.

That seems to apply to consumer disputes.  I still would not do it at this point.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2022, 10:41:29 pm »
I think I'll hold off on the chargeback for now, but will press Mouser for a date as otherwise they could drag this out indefinitely.

Offline mclute0

• Regular Contributor
  • Somnium aut moriar!
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2022, 11:05:07 pm »
I think I'll hold off on the chargeback for now, but will press Mouser for a date as otherwise they could drag this out indefinitely.

Since you live in the US...

If you want to push it to the next level, you might try the link below, but it will not be quick. Might mention about contacting the Federal Trade Commision about selling non-working electronic devices. State law is your friend too, depending on what state you live in. Seach for Implied Warranty of goods. After that small claims court is the next step.

https://www.bbb.org/us/tx/mansfield/profile/wholesale-electronic-supplies/mouser-electronics-inc-0825-235961041/complaints

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2022, 01:29:58 am »
Better Business Bureau has no legal enforcement authority.  All they do is log your complaint internally and increment the number of complaint statistics by one.

If you go legal route, more than likely, you'll have to sue in the city Mouser is in.  Most companies stipulate that in their policy.  By buying an item from that company, you implicitly agreed to it.

I really sympathize with your predicament though.  Just send them a detailed description of your problem once, and if no reply, go to ST directly.  That's probably the fastest and easiest route.  Sueing a company for $300 product is just silly.  It'll cost you more than just buying another one.

Offline mclute0

• Regular Contributor
  • Somnium aut moriar!
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2022, 02:07:01 am »
Better Business Bureau has no legal enforcement authority.  All they do is log your complaint internally and increment the number of complaint statistics by one.

If you go legal route, more than likely, you'll have to sue in the city Mouser is in.  Most companies stipulate that in their policy.  By buying an item from that company, you implicitly agreed to it.

I really sympathize with your predicament though.  Just send them a detailed description of your problem once, and if no reply, go to ST directly.  That's probably the fastest and easiest route.  Sueing a company for $300 product is just silly.  It'll cost you more than just buying another one.

You are correct they have no authority, but you are incorrect that they just 'increment the complaint number'. They send a letter to the company and some companies have direct contact with the BBB and most legitimate companies will respond to a complaint.

They publish all the complaints and the response on the BBB website and the consumer can either accept or reject the resolution. Before making blanket statements, I suggest going to that link and READ the past complaints and READ Mouser's past responses and how they resolved the complaints and READ the consumers response to the resolutions.

Bad publicity is the bane of businesses everywhere, but unless the issue is pushed many tend to ignore the problem. Once an official complaint is made, it goes right to the top managers and owners of the company. Not perfect but it can be made to work in your favor.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf