Author Topic: Display/control board for ZD915 deoldering station  (Read 36347 times)

Offline Pentium100Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Display/control board for ZD915 deoldering station
« on: January 13, 2013, 08:18:21 am »
Hi, does anyone know where I could get a control board for the ZD915 desoldering station? The board is "ZD-LTY-6 100120), though as I understand ZD-LTY2, 5 or 7 would work too.

Or maybe someone has the firmware for it?

The board stopped working (nothing on the display) and it looks like the MCU is kinda-dead (well, it does not work, but if I connect a programmer to the C2 interface it can identify the chip). I though about replacing the MCU (C8051F310), but the flash is locked (I tried reading one of the good boards in my soldering/hot air station) so I cannot copy the firmware.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
Re: Display/control board for ZD915 deoldering station
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 08:50:11 am »
You could try your luck directly with ZhongDi http://www.china-zhongdi.com/contact.htm But don't have too high expectations.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline peterpatze

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 09:18:46 pm »
got the Same Problem with My Station, did you found out any Solution?

Offline OZ1LQB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 08:01:51 pm »
Hi All..
I had the same problem..
it started with the backlight got weaker and weaker
the numbers on the display also got weaker..
one day it totaly died ..
the fault turned out to be the 78l05 5 volt regulator had died..
new regulator and my desoldering station was fine again..
i hope it helps you..

Offline ejtagle

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 12:27:44 am »
Hi, does anyone know where I could get a control board for the ZD915 desoldering station? The board is "ZD-LTY-6 100120), though as I understand ZD-LTY2, 5 or 7 would work too.

Or maybe someone has the firmware for it?

The board stopped working (nothing on the display) and it looks like the MCU is kinda-dead (well, it does not work, but if I connect a programmer to the C2 interface it can identify the chip). I though about replacing the MCU (C8051F310), but the flash is locked (I tried reading one of the good boards in my soldering/hot air station) so I cannot copy the firmware.

I had exactly the same problem. Finally, i decided to write a new firmware for the controller, and i succeded. It works. It is not as perfect as the original one (to make it perfect, i would need to tune the PID temperature controller by actual acquisition of tip temperatures after applying an step impulse to the heater... but i never had time to fine tune the process). As it is , the temperature converges and works, but it has 10% temperature overshot when changing temperature setpoints... If you are interested in fw, just contact me. I will gladly supply fw in source code form (C)...

duskglow

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 12:38:18 am »
This right here is why I love hanging around this forum.  Don't like how something works?  Write new code for it!  It's like hacking on an entirely different level.

Someday I'll have to show y'all what I'm doing to a lightboard.

Offline ejtagle

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 09:12:15 pm »
Well, for completness sake, i am attaching the source code of the firmware i have developed for the ZDxxx solderstation. It is released under the GNU General Public License v3.0, so, you are free to share, but not free to forbid others to share.

Any improvements, modifications, please, post them here. There is room for improvement in this firmware (specifically, a better temperature control algorithm, or perhaps, just fine tuning the PID loop parameters for faster convergence and less overshoot... Even new features are possible... :) -- And, any problems you might run into, you can contact me. I don't promise to answer inmediately,  but i will eventually do so.

Right now, firmware is feature complete compared with the original one...

Eduardo

The following users thanked this post: Chris56000, xfd1001

Offline largosoft

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 05:14:31 am »
Thank you very much Eduardo (ejtagle), probe your firmware and while it works in a PID control optimally at least revived. now is a matter of tuning a little loop PID control. I will try in my power to improve the code, any improvement I'll let you know. Luis

Muchas gracias Eduardo (ejtagle), probe tu firmware y si bien no funciona de una manera optima el control PID, al menos revivio. ahora es cuestion de afinar un poco el lazo del control PID. Intentare dentro de mis posibilidades mejorar el codigo, cualquier mejora te lo hare saber. Luis

Offline ejtagle

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 12:29:28 am »
Do you want to try a completely untested piece of code ? ... Well, i have reimplemented the PID controller loop, fixed an stupid bug and added an autotuning algorithm to the program. I have simulated it and it seems to work pretty well, but, i had no time to actually program it into the solderstation board .... But, if you are interested in trying it, i think it will be a better base to start adjusting PID.

Just flash it, then press UP+DOWN at the same time. The solderstation will
1) Open control loop
2) Set heating power to 20% of maximum
3) Wait until temperature stabilizes
4) Set heating power to 60% of maximum
5) Wait until temperature starts to rise
6) Measure temperature curve slope. When the maximum slope is found,
7) Calculate PID parameters using Open loop Ziegler-Nichols
8) Save those PID parameters into flash
9) Close PID loop and return control to normal

Please, tell us if it works or not! :)

Offline largosoft

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 01:53:37 pm »
Greetings Eduardo, recently this week I had time to test the new firmware, but unfortunately does not work. He fails to do anything.

Offline tretec

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 07:33:54 pm »
Eduardo, very nice code.
Anyway I'm checking it (1st release) as not completely working on my board.
First: I noticed conversions CtoF and FtoC being erroneus: F = (C *9/5) +32 is ok, not F = (C+32) *9/5.
Second: on my hw I found a 2.5V Reference tied to VREF pin of ADC peripheral. It should be used
as VCC is not really 3.3V but 3.0V as derived from a zener diode from 5V stabilized by the famous 78l05...
As I fix code for my hw, I'll post it (probably I'll use SDCC compiler instead of Keil one)
Mike

Offline Crazor

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 03:43:28 pm »
Just got myself a ZD987. Same display/buttons in a different case, so probably compatible. The source code says ZD9xx, the parts seem to be identical from what I gained from the source.
Any news regarding the replacement firmware? v3 sounds interesting...
Has anyone tried this firmware on the ZD987 yet?
Can I backup the original firmware, or is the readout disabled?

Offline arekm

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 04:17:28 pm »
@ejtagle: btw. it's good to push source code to sites like http://github.com - doesn't get lost, provides versioning, history and other features. git tutorial at http://git-scm.com/

Offline Crazor

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 04:17:35 pm »
Ok since I am not very happy with the temperature control, I opened my ZD-987. To my surprise, I found what appear to be two nicely packaged switching mode power supplies. So far so good ;)

I removed the display/control board for the desoldering side of the station. The board has "ZD-LTY-2013" on it and is dated 2013-03-05. There's a sticker reading "987GUN130521MZX", while the board for the soldering side says "987IRON130521MZX". The two boards are identical, so maybe they have different firmwares.

The MCU on the boards is marked "On-Bright OB39A16M1", and it is an 8051 again (datasheet). The other peripherals appear to be virtually identical to the other boards (Holtek HT1621B display controller, '358 opamp, ...). I'm probing the pinout ATM.

Anyone interested in porting the firmware over? I'd like to achieve better temperature control and also I have a bunch of features in mind, like improving the temperature entry, and adding some temp presets. Since I never use the °F/°C button, the original function can be buried in a settings menu, and then repurposed for presets.

Offline Crazor

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 09:02:44 pm »
Well, after reviewing the datasheet and other documents on the SyncMOS page, I don't think I will be able to reflash the MCU any time soon. There's basically two ways to program it: Either via the ICP interface (which is some kind of TWI, but without any specification), which needs a SyncMOS programmer interface, or via the ISP service routine that might be in the firmware, which only Zhongdi knows about.

So the only way would be to find a somewhat pin-compatible MCU to replace the SyncMOS/On-Bright one.

For completeness, here's the pinout (needs verification):
FunctionPinInternal Name
Buzzer18P2.5
Heater10P3.5
°C/°F Button31P1.2
Down Button30P1.1
Up Button29P1.0
Thermocouple15P2.2
HT Data15P2.2
HT WR14P2.1
HT CS13P2.0
UART RXD5(1)
UART TXD6(1)

Note (1): There are two vias directly next to the UART pins, but I haven't found any other place they connect to.

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 01:30:57 pm »
STC12C56xx series has QFP32 version with at least power/gnd in the right place... and it is worth a try asking SyncMOS for programming specifications.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 01:33:45 pm by amyk »

Offline Crazor

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 01:42:21 pm »
Thanks for the pointer. I've looked into Atmel's lineup and found the AT89LP428/828, which also have compatible pinout in the TQFP32 package (rotated 180°).

Offline Mvedovetto

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 11:31:12 am »
Hi all,
I have a temperature control problem with my ZD915: tip temperature rises up over the set point (reaches more than 485°C ... I turned off station  to avoid damages). Control board is ZD-LTY-1  TC200691 05.12.
Please I need help to find out a solution to repair it.

Offline ejtagle

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 12:12:21 am »
Well, attached my latest version of the zd915 firmware... This time, tested and works as expected!

Offline largosoft

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 02:37:17 pm »
Try to compile the firmware and I'm missing two files, "mytypes.h" and "PID_Autotune.h"
where I can download them. Thank you.

Offline soldersplash

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 09:34:52 pm »
Hi All,
Has anyone got schematics for the ZD915? Mine has an excessively noisy mains transformer which I'm looking to replace with a couple of nice toroidal ones.  The original E-I chassis transformer secondary's are labelled up :
0-23.8V
0-7.5-19V

It's clear the approx. 24Vac is used for iron element (after rectification and minimal smoothing).

The other secondary with it's funky uneven tap is supplying the display/control PCA's on the front panel. What I want to work out is how critical these supply voltages are. After rectification they would be about 10V and 27V - seems odd...
ATB,
Soldersplash.

Offline alex.br

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2015, 05:34:51 am »
Good day. Does anybody have firmware *.bin?
Thanks in advance.

Offline big t

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 07:43:47 am »
Hi,

I have the same temperature regulation problem with my ZD-916Z soldering station, like in this discussion:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/zhongdi-zd-916-soldering-station/msg116518/#msg116518

Can someone share good working firmware (.hex file)??
Thanks.

Offline Hamberger

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 05:43:40 pm »
Hi folks,

does anybody has a working .hex file of the final firmware for my great ZD 915?
I can compile for myself if i have all the missing libraries in the ss.zip file above.
Thanks
Hamberger

Offline ejtagle

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 05:32:30 pm »
I'll attach all my sources to this project.

The first ss_v2.zip is the working firmware sources i wroteT
The other is an snapshot of all the files and information i deduced by inspecting the hardware and all my attempts at writing a firmware for it

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf