Author Topic: Disposing of bulged Li-ion battery  (Read 1686 times)

Offline ivan747Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Disposing of bulged Li-ion battery
« on: July 15, 2017, 03:25:02 am »
Hi, I have bulged (inflated) Li-ion battery from a cell phone at home that I need to get rid of, and safely. I haven't heard of any centers in this country that properly dispose of e-waste like this, so I'd appreciate your suggestions. It is quite bulged.

Best regards,
Ivan

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Disposing of bulged Li-ion battery
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 03:33:59 am »
There's nothing particularly hazardous inside. You could put it in a bucket of salt water for a day or two to discharge it and make sure it has no energy left, then put it in the regular trash.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 04:24:52 am »
Or, you charge it up fully, stab it with a knife just for fun (somewhere outside), and after it stops erupting and has cooled down THEN put it in the trash.

The whole 'recycle batteries properly' thing comes from lead-acid and nickel-cadmium batteries, that definitely should never end up in landfill, due to the toxic heavy metals. Lead is poisonous, and cadmium is very poisonous. Lithium and copper, not really.

Though, I wouldn't want to breathe the smoke from a Li-Ion battery on fire.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 06:18:39 am »
Light up the grill and toss it in. Make sure to post the video here.

Offline ivan747Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Disposing of bulged Li-ion battery
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 12:29:27 pm »
There's nothing particularly hazardous inside. You could put it in a bucket of salt water for a day or two to discharge it and make sure it has no energy left, then put it in the regular trash.

Will a very slow, controlled discharge work? Like a 5k resistor or something?

I also like to see things explode, just not inside my property!!! The grill idea is a good one for isolating any fires.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 01:34:45 pm »
Outdoors just slit the outer plastic and leave it on a brick overnight, and in the morning you can see that all the solvent has evaporated and then place it in a plastic bag and drop in the weekly garbage or place in the nearest ewaste bin, depending on where you are and if there is electronic recycling around.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf