General > General Technical Chat

DMM Database - Mains 110/220 over Ohms range

(1/7) > >>

Kiriakos-GR:
Hi

The all idea are " we " the forum members, to create an database of the small sized multimeters ,
that we own , and they do  pass the test of  " Mains 110/220 over the Ohms range "

All that you have to do , if you are willing to test your meter , are to measure Mains by having the meter at the Ohms range .

Its a bit Risky  task , mostly if the cheap meter is that cheap , that it could possibly die on the test.
I will not write , an large BEWARE - WARNING or such notices , its up to you , if you are willing to test it.
Let the meter on an desk or chair alone , and just connect the leads with Mains ( safest way to do it) .  

My personal thoughts are , that if any meter that I own has an issue like this , I like to be aware of it, upfront.
And so , I tested all my meters , and they survived .

The test period of 10 seconds its enough ,
In the real world , if you have forget the meter at Ohms range and connect it to measure Mains,
you will find and correct your mistake in the first 5 -10 seconds.

The brand and model of the meter .. the word " passed " or Not !!  
and one picture of it  at 800x600 , its all that you have to add .

If you find this idea useful , help this database to grow, thanks.  

Kiriakos-GR:
UNI-T  UT 30D  = Passed ..

Mambo:
Don't do this test. Most meters these days will pass, some won't. Some start doing strange things with beepers, displays. Some lock-up. But some have been known to explode. Honestly....I mean if your going to select a meter based on such a test then just buy a meter that auto-sense's voltage present and switches to Voltage. Known as V-check and other buzz words.

However if you do try the test and your meter does blow up remember I sell them.... :o

Kiriakos-GR:

--- Quote from: shafri on September 07, 2010, 10:19:05 am ---:P

--- End quote ---

:D  Every one deserves to have an opinion ...  

Even so, I will only say that as long there is no TNT on the resistors and chips , the "explosion" it will not take down your home.   ;)

Mambo:
Low cost fuseable resistors have caused explosions. You can get voltage creep across other track's on the board. Despite what you claim the test still has the potental to be classed as high energy.  I've seen the proof, but sure go ahead and blow your meters up guys...like I said replacements can be found here. But it's a pointless test in the first place, as to use a product not as intended is like pushing a car and saying "it goes no faster than walking".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version