29 (12.3%)
Yes. Mildly used.
44 (18.6%)
Yes. Regularly used.
32 (13.6%)
Yes. Heavily used.
11 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 233

Author Topic: [Poll] Do you have a Facebook account?  (Read 18527 times)

Offline Davecltl

Re: [Poll] Do you have a Facebook account?
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2016, 01:25:39 am »
I have one just to log in or view items that require a face book account to log in.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2016, 08:29:33 am »
This thread has been an eye opener. I did not realize so many people were scared and/or hate Facebook and seemingly all other social media.
No. Facebook makes people less happy. There is even studies of it. It is a poisonous place, where people voluntarily become advertisers and arseholes. I see others browsing through their daily bullshit.
Thank you, but no.

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2016, 08:37:50 am »
This thread has been an eye opener. I did not realize so many people were scared and/or hate Facebook and seemingly all other social media.
No. Facebook makes people less happy. There is even studies of it. It is a poisonous place, where people voluntarily become advertisers and arseholes. I see others browsing through their daily bullshit.
Thank you, but no.

Not just unhappy but I can count on one hand the number of people who have got themselves into hot water at work because of something they posted or liked on Facebook in the last few years. Like it or not, this is the world we live in now. Every move you make on social media is judged, pulled apart, assumptions made, people getting upset etc... etc...

Wasn't there an article from somewhere in the world where a judge ruled that "unliking" someone on Facebook amounted to workplace bullying in certain circumstances? I think it was a Real Estate somewhere if I remember rightly. Yes, the world is fucking precious, but it is what is it. Why buy into it?

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2016, 03:35:57 pm »
Not only that, if you go for a job interview these days they ask you for the ID you use on Facebook and Twitter. A reply along the lines of "I don't use social media, it's a waste of time" gets some very puzzled looks and sometimes the interview is swiftly terminated because they assume that either you are odd or that you have something to hide.

Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2016, 03:44:38 pm »
I got asked for my facebook ID a couple of years ago. I walked out of the interview there and then even though I don't have one. Bad company ethic there right away. Don't stand for it.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2016, 03:55:38 pm »
I got asked for my facebook ID a couple of years ago. I walked out of the interview there and then even though I don't have one. Bad company ethic there right away. Don't stand for it.

I've had interviews where it's come out you must friend your boss and not hide any posts from them (don't know how they'd enforce that) and others where they've let it be known you must close down all social media accounts, not just advise it may be better to not have them. I think both of these extremes are unacceptable.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

The following users thanked this post: BillyD, Kilrah

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2016, 04:01:21 pm »
(don't know how they'd enforce that)
They wouldn't actively enforce it, but jump on you the day they hear about something you posted from somewhere else and they didn't see it in their feed.

That's ridiculous.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2016, 04:07:55 pm »
The CEO of facebook once referred to users of that service as "dumb fucks".

The more I hear about facebook, the more I think he was right.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2016, 02:40:38 am »
The CEO of facebook once referred to users of that service as "dumb fucks".

The more I hear about facebook, the more I think he was right.

I cannot verify that myself, but have no doubt that Zuckerberg looks down on all of humanity. He has learned how to remote control a large portion of the population. I use Facebook, but like most here - with caution and restraint. If there was a global trend toward cautious use of social media, it would spell disaster for Facebook.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2016, 03:32:15 am »
Not much different from "offline" media who have been doing that for multiple decades.

This poll is interesting, but I would like to have it accompanied by an age breakdown of those who answered. About 50% seem a little surprising, since among people I know in my age group (<35) there are less than 5% of people not having an FB account.

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2016, 03:51:01 am »
I use it, because you're pretty much obliged by social standards to use it these days.
Staying in sync with college classmates about the things that are going on? Facebook.
Want to know which club you should visit tonight? Facebook.
Friends throwing a party? You'll be invited on Facebook.
Met someone interesting and want to get in touch with them? Facebook.

I only use it through my phone's browser, though. The application was somewhat useful, because you could instantly know when someone dropped you a message, but then they updated it and it required way too many permissions for comfort, so I deleted it for good. Guess what, the battery life suddenly improved. Significantly.

As far as posting on there goes, I only rarely post or put pictures up there, only stuff that I wouldn't mind a broader public to see and even then I only set it to be visible to friends only.
I have just over 200 people on there, only the people that I've actually spent some time with and actually see a point in keeping up with their lives. I only rarely add new ones.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2016, 12:51:00 am »
I have just over 200 people on there, only the people that I've actually spent some time with and actually see a point in keeping up with their lives. I only rarely add new ones.

This illustrates something that is central to why I don't use social media.
If one wishes to have a productive, creative life, there's a shortage of time. And every moment you spend reading about and interacting with _other_ people's lives, is time taken away from leading your own life.
On the other hand, the world of political events presents a deluge of information, that also takes a lot of time to skim for important details, if you want to stay aware of the flow.

So there is a three way time balancing act:
 1. Your own creative efforts.
 2. Involvement in the lives of people you know.
 3. Events in the wide world.

I choose to maximize 1 & 3, minimize 2 as much as possible while maintaining just a few friendships. How many friends does one really need?

And I spend way too much time on eevblog.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2016, 01:07:23 am »
How many friends does one really need?

Last time I read anything about that somewhere between 50 and 150 seemed to be the rough consensus with 50 being the minimum most healthy people need and 150 the maximum they can keep track of. Had something to do with the optimum size of groups/tribes before we had agriculture.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2016, 01:38:51 am »
 How do I Facebook> Well, I have a mouse with a scroll wheel (I hate using someone else's computer and it DOESN'T have a wheel mouse - those are almost essential these days). Anyway, I will log in to FB, and the start scrolling. Fairly quickly - I can read pretty fast although on FB I am mostly just skimming,. I only stop if a) something really jumps out as interesting, b) I hit the end of new posts since my last visit, or c) there's a picture of a Pug - I love my puggies. So your post title had better be very interesting to me or I will skip right on past it. This minimizes the amount of time I spend there, and also minimizes the amount of inane garbage that exists there.

My Pugs, doing what they do best - sleep. Harley is the black one, Trixie is the fawn.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2016, 05:12:41 am »
I hate Facebook because of the hideous user interface. No, hideous is too kind...
They also fake their video views, allow and even knowingly perpetuate advertising scams, and do nothing to prevent content theft. It is also totally and utterly useless as a search engine to find anything you have previously seen or know is on there.
It's only saving grace is as a contact mechanism for friends and relatives. Even then it's sucks at that, but is better than nothing.

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2016, 06:09:15 am »
I think this page pretty much sums it up:

https://stallman.org/facebook.html

The following users thanked this post: Halcyon

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2016, 06:40:42 am »
I hate Facebook because of the hideous user interface. No, hideous is too kind...
They also fake their video views, allow and even knowingly perpetuate advertising scams, and do nothing to prevent content theft. It is also totally and utterly useless as a search engine to find anything you have previously seen or know is on there.
It's only saving grace is as a contact mechanism for friends and relatives. Even then it's sucks at that, but is better than nothing.
Don't hold back Dave - you didn't mention Fail or BS once!  ;)

Not that I disagree - I don't use it at all. :rant:
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2016, 05:54:49 pm »
On the way home there was a person in the Audi TT next to me, driving in traffic and with his phone between his hands the whole time, looking down at the blue FB screen ( only good thing about that scheme is you can recognise it even if you cannot read the text) and driving seemingly by autopilot. Thankfully he turned ( sans indicators) onto the highway instead of going straight and accelerated hard. I do so hope......

Strange thing at the same intersection yesterday I was driving with somebody, and we had stopped there to turn the other way. While waiting we had a grandstand view of a 2 car collision, the one turned without looking, into the one going straight the other way.  Screech, crunch and the poor guy in the red VW golf next to us had to get out of his car, to remove the headlamp assembly that had magically appeared on his car. He tok it, placed on the side and drove off. We had to wait as the light was against us while the vehicle in front went around this obstacle. Of course the first responder was a tow truck, even before the last bits had landed it seemed.

Offline Tandy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Darren Grant from Tandy, UK.
    • Tandy
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2016, 07:58:17 pm »
I had one for a while but it was tiresome, all those pictures of people's exotic holidays and posting of stupid jokes and re-post this spam. I would have deleted my personal account If I could but you can't have a business page without a personal account. So I have a personal account with no pictures, friends, posts or anything. It is entirely blank to allow me to login to administer the business page and a Facebook group for former Tandy employees.
For more info on Tandy try these links Tandy History EEVBlog Thread & Official Tandy Website

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2016, 07:43:10 pm »
I purely have Facebook for technical reasons (namely messenger to reach some people).

My view on Facebook is that the people of my most interest rarely post anything. It's not like those people drown in misery (because nobody posts that), or spend 90% of their free time on the couch.. it's just, meh, why bother with it? If you talk to them 1-to-1 (via Skype or whatever) you have much higher quality social contact and level of interaction.

It may sound depressing, but my view on the daily 'news feed' is that only is about in what we call in Dutch "huisje boompje beestje" - roughly explained as living on your own, doing well, family, etc. Any real-life struggle is taboo on FB and in that sense very unbalanced and unsupportive. There has been some studies that suggests some people get more miserable from reading their daily Facebook feeds because of that (me included).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 07:46:31 pm by hans »

Offline BobsURuncle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2016, 07:49:23 pm »
No Facebook, no Twitter, no Linkedin, no MySpace, no Google+ yet I still manage to have friends and I get out of the apartment two or three nights a week. Most of the networking sites are a waste of time and one or two are privacy nightmares.

Ditto

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf