Author Topic: Does anyone know WTF to do with PCB-containing capacitors?  (Read 9955 times)

Offline GKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I rang the EPA. I had to spell it out for them........ polychlorinated biphenyl.
"Is that a hazardous substance"
"Yes, it is carcinogenic and an accumulative environmental pollutant. You're not supposed to throw them (the capacitors) into the bin"   
"OK, can we get back to you?"

I eventually get a phone call back from some guy who has no idea about what PCB's or capacitors are, but just plucks a few waste disposal companies phone numbers out of the phone book and recommends Veolia in particular as they do pickups. Like I couldn't have done that myself! Duh! In fact I already had - a complete waste of time - if the electronic waste isn't computer or DVD player related they haven't got a clue and will reject the items when I explain to them what it contains.

However I hadn't yet rang Veolia at that stage, so I gave them a try. Still no clue about what PCB's or capacitors are but they inform me that they could likely pick it up for $400, but recommend instead that I drop it off to another disposal company called IWS (integrated waste management) for a much smaller fee. "OK, thanks". So I ring IWS. "Peeee Ceeeee Beeeeesssss.........". Still no idea what I am talking about but when I mention the hazardous nature of the substance I get the response "oh, no, we are not licensed to handle hazardous chemicals of that nature, I recommend you contact Veolia".

Arrggghh! So I mention that it was Veolia who put me onto them. The lady on the phone says words to the effect that that was rather daft of Veolia and recommends I contact the EPA instead. but "it was the EPA who put me onto Veolia!" "Oh, sorry, I really don't know what else to recommend in that case".

So, I get back on the blower to Veolia, as they had previously informed me that they could perhaps pick the waste up. Well, I get the same lady on the phone who I had previously spoken to, who had put me onto IWS. I explain why I am back on the phone with her. "Oh" she exclaims, "that isn't any good as IWS is where we dispose of the items after picking them up from you". For a f%$#ing exorbitant fee I might add!

:palm:

Having reached a dead end at that point she takes my name and phone number with the promise that her manager will ring me back with a possible solution to my dilemma. That was several days ago now, still no phone call.

So where the hell do I go from here?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 03:46:06 am by GK »
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline Strada916

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Does anyone know WTF to do with PCB-containing capacitors?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 03:59:12 am »
And these numb nuts keep telling us not to dump PCB into landfill. I'ld call your local council and take it to there recycling centre if they have one. Do you actually have a lot, like tonnes or a few kilos?
The Bone, the Off-White, the Ivory or the Beige?

Offline Strada916

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 04:06:31 am »
http://www.toxfree.com.au

A quick google yielded this company.
The Bone, the Off-White, the Ivory or the Beige?

Offline GKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 04:11:42 am »
A car boot full. Council E-waste collection covers domestic appliances and computers, not a palette of heavy grey rectangular things full of a nasty chemical. It is quite possible that one or more of the waste disposal companies I have contacted are in fact licensed to dispose of PCB's, but I just can't get anyone on the phone who has the slightest idea what I am talking about or apparently has even the basic means to look it up. 

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 04:34:33 am by GK »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 04:14:11 am »
I'd agree about local councils.
Strangely enough, they are pretty "switched on" over hazardous waste,so will probably take it off your hands.

Another way is to contact somebody technical at a local TV or Radio station--they may have a preferred contractor for getting rid of such stuff.
They may just let you drop the caps into a drum at their place,if they have one set up for such things.

Of course,they may have cleaned out all of them years ago.

Finally,are you sure the cap contains PCBs?--------Not all oil filled capacitors do.

Offline GKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 04:17:30 am »
http://www.toxfree.com.au

A quick google yielded this company.

"Toxfree manages the treatment of a broad range of Chemical and Hazardous wastes"

I had somehow missed that one. Looks promising and they have a depot close to work. I'll give 'em a try first thing Tuesday. Good Googling.

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 04:20:41 am »
We have a company that picks up once we fill the bins. I don't have their name on me now, but I can look it up on Tue. Mon=Queens b/day
I fill it up with everything from batteries to PCBs etc and they even had someone take the MEK off us.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline GKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 04:24:39 am »
Finally,are you sure the cap contains PCBs?--------Not all oil filled capacitors do.

Yup.

Offline GKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 04:33:47 am »
We have a company that picks up once we fill the bins. I don't have their name on me now, but I can look it up on Tue. Mon=Queens b/day
I fill it up with everything from batteries to PCBs etc and they even had someone take the MEK off us.

OK, thanks. That would be great if they have a depot in Adelaide.

I still find it amazing that the EPA doesn't have the means to put me directly onto a disposal company licensed to dispose of specifically PCB's. You would think that kind of information would be maintained on some kind of register.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 04:46:00 am by GK »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 06:06:25 am »
Drop it in the Ewaste bin, and it will go off to China and get recycled. Otherwise ask your local electrical wholesalers who they use for old PCB containing ballasts, as they should have the number. GE and Sylvania amongst others made them as part of lighting ballasts till the early 1980's, and as they typically last 40 years they are still around in large numbers.

I guess these are part of a large capacitor bank for a laser or a spot welder.

Offline GKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 06:35:35 am »
Oh it is clear to me thus far that I could have gotten rid of these already if I just played the ignoramus and just called the collection "general electrical junk". However I figured that it would be preferable to dispose of it through a company that actually knows what they are dealing with and will still accept it when I point out to them what it is.

I've got a hefty stash of my own from my radio transmitters and we have an ancient pile at work that has been sitting in storage for longer than anyone currently employed there has been working in the building. No idea what they were used for once upon a time.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 06:41:50 am by GK »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 07:21:17 am »
So they are either transmitter caps or power factor correction units. Ask your local power company ( do not call the front office call the stores or the line maintenance team) as they will have pulled these out of service as they aged out.

Offline GKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 05:43:04 am »
Got a quote from Toxfree. $44.3 per kilo plus pick up. Glad I'm not paying for it. Dunno exactly what to do with my own stash though; that would cost me a few grand.  :o Think I'll try my luck at the next freebie hazardous waste collection by the council.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 06:35:04 am »
Some cities here in the USA do electronic waste pick up day a couple times a year where they come and take stuff off the curb.  That is a great day to be a dumpster diver!  There are also mobile electronic waste trucks I see around, and I know of one permanent site where you can drop toxic stuff like paint and batteries and old oil whenever you want.  I actually always shed a tear when I see those trucks full of old dead PCs driving around.  They were all so young.  I hope they enjoy going home to China.

This kind of reminds me of a story I read somewhere where a woman broke a florescent light bulb on her carpet and got charged like thousands of dollars by some toxic clean up company because of the mercury.  If you follow the "official" disposal methods you better care about the environment more than you care about being able to pay rent for the next couple months.

Offline N2IXK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 07:14:04 pm »
I have dropped off hazardous electronic wastes including PCB capacitors, mercury vacuum tubes, beryllium oxide ceramics, etc. at a twice yearly "household hazardous waste collection day" that my county runs.  Really intended for more "normal" household hazmat like paint, insecticides, batteries, fluorescent bulbs, etc., but I have never been turned away with the weird stuff in small quantities. All you need to drop stuff off is proof of county residency, and sign a statement that you aren't disposing of waste from a business (who would need to hire their own disposal contractor).
"My favorite programming language is...SOLDER!"--Robert A. Pease

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 08:04:08 pm »
I have dropped off hazardous electronic wastes including PCB capacitors, mercury vacuum tubes, beryllium oxide ceramics, etc. at a twice yearly "household hazardous waste collection day" that my county runs.  Really intended for more "normal" household hazmat like paint, insecticides, batteries, fluorescent bulbs, etc., but I have never been turned away with the weird stuff in small quantities. All you need to drop stuff off is proof of county residency, and sign a statement that you aren't disposing of waste from a business (who would need to hire their own disposal contractor).

Same here, but we have one just for electronics twice a year usually Spring and Fall.  This Spring we had two on the same day at the same time just 4 miles from each other.

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 03:08:43 pm »
go to your nearest local park that has a waste bin, dump in the bin and forget about it.

Offline lemmegraphdat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 05:34:14 pm »
Around here we would use a nice cleansing fire.
Start right now.

Offline ignator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 06:05:35 pm »
eBay auction listing
RARE VINTAGE PCB CAPACITORS  L@@K 1 cubic meter lots

No reserve. Buyer pays handling fee and actual shipping.

add whatever normal babble you need.

Sorry, I know your trying to be ECO smart.  Good luck.

I'm surprised no one asked what capacitance and voltage these are.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 06:53:47 am »
So you rang the US EPA or does Australia call their equivalent agency the same thing as we do?
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 07:03:37 am »
Found this:

5.3 PCB DESTRUCTION FACILITIES IN AUSTRALIA
There are three firms in Australia that are licensed to treat and
destroy PCBs, namely BCD Technologies in Brisbane, ELI Eco
Logic in Perth and Jancassco (Haz-Waste Services) in
Melbourne.
Your local environment authority should be contacted (see
Appendix II) for the latest information concerning PCB
disposal firms.
BCD Technologies
PO Box 257
Darra QLD 4076
Phone: (07) 3279 3922
ELI Eco Logic
Lot 4 Mason Road
Kwinana WA 6167
Phone: (08) 9439 2362
Haz-Waste Services
101 Ordish Road
Dandenong Victoria 3175
Phone: (03) 9706 796

Here:

http://www.scew.gov.au/archive/anzecc/pubs/anzecc_gl__identification_of_pcb_containing_capacitors_information_booklet_for_electricians_and_electrical_contractors_199712.pdf

And also this:

http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/~/media/Publications/IWRG643%201.pdf

FURTHER INFORMATION
Contact EPA’s Statutory Facilitation Unit if you wish to
discuss PCBs or submit an EIP.
Tel: 03 9695 2722
www.epa.vic.gov.au
For the ANZECC publication, Polychclorinated
Biphenyls Management Plan, 2003; see the
Department of Environment, Water, Heritage and the
Arts: www.environment.gov.au

NOTIFIABLE QUANTITY
Where premises:
• contain more than 10 kg of PCBs in material and
waste
or
• are in excess of the threshold concentration and
quantity of 50 mg/kg and 50g (‘scheduled PCB’ as
outlined in the (NMP))

Offline GKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 01:03:33 pm »
The work ones have already been shipped off to Queensland, to be recycled by hillbillies.

So I have a "Notifiable Quantity" of PCB in my shed! When I rang the EPA they had NFI what I was talking about.  ::)

Offline Len

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 06:38:33 pm »
Maybe you should contact the Statutory Facilitation Unit. I have no idea what that is but it sounds impressive.  :wtf:
DIY Eurorack Synth: https://lenp.net/synth/

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 06:06:17 pm »

Offline ftransform

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 09:34:57 pm »
burning them is a bad idea

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf