Author Topic: Does Govt stop you designing things  (Read 18292 times)

Offline TheElectricChicken

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Does Govt stop you designing things
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2015, 12:20:24 pm »
You don't like it you pay for the connection and offer it without those restrictions or go somewhere else that doesn't have them.

[in a country controlled by a military junta] and this was two years ago, imagine how many now

http://e27.co/thailand-to-get-over-400k-free-wi-fi-hotspots-by-2014/

There’s nothing like free Wi-Fi. According to Pattaya Mail, Thailand will see more than 400,000 free Wi-Fi hotspots in the country by 2014.

Currently, the Information and Communication Technology Ministry (ICT) has installed 270,000 of these hotspots nationwide, and are looking to add another 150,000 spots next year. The article also reported that there is a THB 950 million (US$30.4 million) budget given “by the research fund of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunication Commission.”

[meanwhile back in hell] australia

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/405151,telstra-to-switch-off-free-wi-fi-hotspots-from-sunday.aspx

Telstra to switch off free wi-fi hotspots from Sunday

No more free browsing for non-home broadband users.

Telstra will start turning off its free wi-fi hotspots from Sunday in preparation for the official launch of its national wi-fi network, which it will charge non-Telstra home broadband customers a fee to access.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2015, 12:30:40 pm »

So a private company stops offering free WiFi and your government hasn't replaced it makes Australia hell?

If you want your government to do something similar to Thailand pressure your politicians into it. If you're going to whine when taxes go up to implement and service it stfu. If Your just going to sit and whine but do nothing to fix something you don't agree with in a democracy you have no right to complain as you're purposely making sure those problems exist to whine about so should again stfu.

But TBH I know what you'd do if you did have nationwide free WiFi, you'd complain the lack of terabit speeds was the government taking your rights or not been able to pick up a signal 1000 miles from any civilisation is oppression...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:33:56 pm by Mechanical Menace »
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2015, 01:13:52 pm »
So a private company stops offering free WiFi and your government hasn't replaced it makes Australia hell?

No, telstra used to belong to the people. First, the government stole our bank (commonwealth bank) so that we'd all get to enjoy banking fees, then they stole our telephone company, now they steal the wifi and say somehow this is what people wanted. What rubbish. Who demonstrates FOR APEC, or G20 or even know what they are ? who votes FOR TTIP ? Governent are just theives who steal everything including my free wifi. Military junta in Thailand give people free wifi and free football http://www.wsj.com/articles/thai-coup-leaders-seek-free-to-air-world-cup-soccer-broadcasts-1402554239. Next they will steal the electricity which we own. They even fatten up the bills so that the rich pr^%$ who buys it won't get the blame for increasing prices.

If you want your government to do something similar to Thailand pressure your politicians into it.

What ? get myself shot ? No way. That guy at Martin place wrote 1,000 letters to politicians and not only they shot him, they shot everyone in the cafe too. If you live alone they'll door-knock the street and blow everyone's head off to keep the quota up.

But TBH I know what you'd do if you did have nationwide free WiFi, you'd complain the lack of terabit speeds was the government taking your rights or not been able to pick up a signal 1000 miles from any civilisation is oppression...

Damn right I would.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2015, 01:38:45 pm »
First, the government stole our bank (commonwealth bank) so that we'd all get to enjoy banking fees, then they stole our telephone company, now they steal the wifi and say somehow this is what people wanted.

Ok I'm guessing it's not only how your writing comes across but you are actually retarded aren't you? The people voted in governments that privatised public owned institutions, the money raised went into the public coffers. No theft at all. And if you think phone prices are high now look back at the "good old days." Oh and bank charges have always existed, even if it's just earning zero interest on your savings.

Military junta in Thailand give people free wifi and free football

Otherwise known as bread and circuses.

What ? get myself shot ? No way. That guy at Martin place wrote 1,000 letters to politicians and not only they shot him, they shot everyone in the cafe too.

Lying again. He took hostages in a religiously motivated terrorist or just straight up criminal attack, shot one hostage, and one hostage was hit with a ricochet from the police and died.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 01:44:18 pm by Mechanical Menace »
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline wagon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2015, 02:45:12 pm »

No, telstra used to belong to the people. First, the government stole our bank (commonwealth bank) so that we'd all get to enjoy banking fees, then they stole our telephone company, now they steal the wifi and say somehow this is what people wanted. What rubbish. Who demonstrates FOR APEC, or G20 or even know what they are ? who votes FOR TTIP ? Governent are just theives who steal everything including my free wifi. Military junta in Thailand give people free wifi and free football http://www.wsj.com/articles/thai-coup-leaders-seek-free-to-air-world-cup-soccer-broadcasts-1402554239. Next they will steal the electricity which we own. They even fatten up the bills so that the rich pr^%$ who buys it won't get the blame for increasing prices.

If you want your government to do something similar to Thailand pressure your politicians into it.

What ? get myself shot ? No way. That guy at Martin place wrote 1,000 letters to politicians and not only they shot him, they shot everyone in the cafe too. If you live alone they'll door-knock the street and blow everyone's head off to keep the quota up.

Damn right I would.

Oh dear.  Best get yourself a tinfoil hat.
Hiding from the missus, she doesn't understand.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2015, 03:08:05 pm »
What ? get myself shot ? No way. That guy at Martin place wrote 1,000 letters to politicians and not only they shot him, they shot everyone in the cafe too.

Lying again. He took hostages in a religiously motivated terrorist or just straight up criminal attack, shot one hostage, and one hostage was hit with a ricochet from the police and died.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/concern-at-deputy-commissioner-catherine-burns-martin-place-siege-brief/story-fni0cx12-1227181519754?nk=1213a2e112103548b29dfd226157576b-1439651043

Concern at Deputy Commissioner Catherine Burn’s Martin Place siege brief
January 12, 2015 7:44am
Andrew Clennell State Political EditorThe Daily Telegraph

NSW ministers are concerned they were unintentionally misled in a briefing from one of the state’s top cops when they were told bullets fired by terrorist Man Haron Monis killed two hostages.

The briefing by Deputy Commissioner Catherine Burn left cabinet members believing hostages Tori Johnson and Katrina Dawson were killed by Monis, only to learn later that Ms Dawson died after she was hit by bullet fragments from a police ­weapon.

Oh dear.  Best get yourself a tinfoil hat.

I'd look sexy in foil, and I'd still be right.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 03:14:28 pm by TheElectricChicken »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2015, 03:35:59 pm »

What you posted confirmed what I said.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 03:37:33 pm by Mechanical Menace »
~Albert Einstein

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2015, 03:57:29 pm »

Then if we said the same thing and you say I'm lying then you are also lying. What actually happened in Martin place is the cops have no ability to conform to occupational health and safety standards while attempting to make an arrest and have no person amongst them brave enough to negotiate as they do in other countries, and that is being generous. otherwise they were simply committing a summary execution. To handle things professionally is to determine the mindset of the suspect, and given the person had not shot anyone straight away, then he's not a shooter like port arthur or columbine or any of the weekly massacre's in the USA. Mass murderers in most cases start their shooting within an hour of their arrival on site. Like in strathfield. Attention seekers, you know, the type who write thousands of letters to politicians trying to get their attention, will give up eventually because like all humans they need sleep eventually. After 17 hours, it wouldn't have taken much of a negotiator to arrange this, it would only take enough balls to walk in. They should have asked a firey. Instead of negotiating where nobody had been killed, which in most countries is the rule, 'you don't storm the place when no-one's been killed' they stormed the place, with obvious results. Go get a manual from any country and see what occupational health and safety says about making an arrest. If a Lion broke into a movie theater, parroting that it was a lion and they couldn't negotiate with a lion is no excuse for burning the theater to the ground with all inside.

To say the police killed everyone who died that day is being generous. To point out it was their failure to follow procedure or not have any procedure at all would be less so.

edit : there is plenty of useful stuff on the web, including for dealing with nutcases
https://www.psychceu.com/miller/Miller_Hostage_Neg.pdf
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 04:04:46 pm by TheElectricChicken »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2015, 04:02:23 pm »

Then if we said the same thing and you say I'm lying then you are also lying.

No, because you didn't originally say what I said, only tried to "discredit" what I said by posting confirming information.

You originally said the whole cafe got shot up and everyone was shot by the police because he sent letters to the government.

That didn't happen, he held hostages, shot one dead, one died through a ricochet and others were hit in the mess.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 04:04:00 pm by Mechanical Menace »
~Albert Einstein

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2015, 04:10:18 pm »
You originally said the whole cafe got shot up and everyone was shot by the police because he sent letters to the government.

That didn't happen, he held hostages, shot one dead, one died through a ricochet and others were hit in the mess.

No, everyone who died that day including the 'mentally ill person who they were supposed to be arresting' if you want to call him  that were victims of a complete police cock-up which was followed by a cover-up of their cock-up. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/concern-at-deputy-commissioner-catherine-burns-martin-place-siege-brief/story-fni0cx12-1227181519754?nk=1213a2e112103548b29dfd226157576b-1439651043

from the PDF conclusions:

"The good news is that the negotiation
process is effective in preventing loss of life in 95 percent of
cases – I wonder how many emergency medical procedures
can boast a record like that. Indeed, the success of hostage
negotiation strategies may be one of the best arguments for
the inclusion of the principles of practical psychology as an
essential component of law enforcement training."
https://www.psychceu.com/miller/Miller_Hostage_Neg.pdf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2015, 04:14:26 pm »
There is no telling how the government works out who to shoot in the city, but this is how they work out who to shoot in the jungle.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2015, 04:26:44 pm »

No, everyone who died that day including the 'mentally ill person who they were supposed to be arresting' if you want to call him  that were victims of a complete police cock-up which was followed by a cover-up of their cock-up.

EDIT: Entirety of the previous quotes left intact just because it's amusing. "Yeah, but still that may be the case but it doesn't fit the propaganda I'm trying to spread so this instead..."

No, at the end of the day it was the direct result of the hostage takers actions. One misreport before a full investigation could be made is not a cover up, especially when those who according to you killed 3 people to stop someone sending letters were the ones who discovered and disclosed that one of the deaths attributed to the killer was due to a ricochet from a police officer.

Could the police have handled it better? Probably. Did they make him take hostages and shoot one of them? No.

"The good news is that the negotiation
process is effective in preventing loss of life in 95 percent of
cases"

And this was one of the 5% of times that didn't work due to the hostage takers actions.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 04:35:05 pm by Mechanical Menace »
~Albert Einstein

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2015, 04:38:46 pm »
Australia's 2EU Radio reporter Leonie Ryan tells the BBC that - according to "well-placed police sources" - the decision to storm the cafe "was completely unplanned".

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2015, 04:42:02 pm »
Could the police have handled it better? Probably.

Ya think ?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2015, 04:45:29 pm »

One anonymous source makes unconfirmed claim. Case closed then. They must have made him take hostages so they had an excuse to shoot him for sending letters. There you go, you've got your excuse for not even trying to do anything about what you whine about so you've still got something to whine about. All it took was a bunch of lies and major misrepresentations.

And stop upping the point size please. It's worse than all caps ffs.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 04:47:26 pm by Mechanical Menace »
~Albert Einstein

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2015, 05:00:29 pm »
If they had done anything that was not a complete embarrassment to themselves, they'd be raving and telling the media and giving each other awards. Why are they not telling everyone what a great job they did ? Why are they outright misleading and lying to parliament and everyone else and otherwise covering everything up ? You think this complete cock-up is going to be written down and studied in textbooks as how to handle hostage situations ? I don't think so.

Their incompetence and cowardice got everyone killed. (you know, who died that day, not like of cancer 6 months later)

Note for NSA who is listening and planning to storm my house for criticising the government. IT WASN'T ME, It was two chickens !!!!!

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2015, 06:38:57 pm »
Deathwish has personal contact with the OSA. 

I am not doubting your inventiveness Deathwish, but I suspect that rather than breaking some new ground, you were treading on something that had already been developed behind closed doors.  The alternative is to believe that someone recognized your doodles, understood them, figured out their implications to the current world order and took action.  All fairly quickly. 

Whether all of this behind the walls development is a good thing is another topic of debate.  In the movies and the history books it is always portrayed heroically.  The boffins save the day with something that was developed "just in time".  In reality I suspect a lot of development (both of hardware and tactics to use that hardware) is delayed incredibly because the people who would benefit don't even know it exists.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2015, 09:05:10 pm »
What he had developed was a real time radar mapping system that would take the radar image and compare it to a stored map and tell a pilot exactly where he was in the world, he had been hawking the idea around a couple of years when he went to British Aerospace, as soon as the man he saw there looked at what he had he was told to stay in the room until he had signed a contract and the official secrets act. The money he got from his idea paid off his mortgage and then some.
The governments don't like things that can guide missiles precisely...

I have read somewhere that the USA didn't wan't to give public access to the GPS untill EU decided to build Galileo (which they tried to convince EU not to since Galileo was intended to be a civilian precision navigation system from the start). The EU decision is what eventually made Clinton disable the crypto on GPS in peacetime. Even so, GPS units are supposed to have certain speed and altitude limits built in to prevent their use in military applications, the civilian channels can be disabled at any time of course. I don't really understand why USA worried about Galileo so much since the Russians and Chinese already have their own satellite navigation systems (although they too are primarily intended for military use, not civilian like Galileo, but in that case who are they afraid of?)

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2015, 09:37:35 pm »
I don't really understand why USA worried about Galileo so much since the Russians and Chinese already have their own satellite navigation systems (although they too are primarily intended for military use, not civilian like Galileo, but in that case who are they afraid of?)

Some people in high places in the US are seemingly worried about ebil terr'rists, not the Chinese nor the Russians...

Raytheon has build a system of two semi-permanent airships, aerostats, hovering near D.C., carrying powerful radar systems. Their purpose: Detect incoming cruise missiles.

Seems the DIY cruise missile project didn't live in vain. :o

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2015, 09:48:59 pm »
Only GPS units marketed in the US have to have altitude and/or velocity limitations (ISTR there's a third parameter too that might or might not need to be included as part of the analysis). For mass market devices, devices are build to a lowest common denominator, and there simply aren't enough people wanting a derestricted device.

Derestricted units are available. Zarlink used to have one some years ago for example. If money is no object you can purchase modules from non-US satellite parts manufacturers.

About five years ago, a group of three Cambridge undergrads spent three weeks living on pizza and coffee, and came up with their own unrestricted GPS for use on high altitude balloon flights. I told them they should sell it, but I guess they didn't get the value of it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 10:48:20 pm by Howardlong »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2015, 10:00:37 pm »
About five years ago, a group of three Cambridge undergrads spent three weeks living on pizza and coffee, and came up with their own unrestricted GPS for use on high altitude balloon flights. I told them they should sell it, but I guess they didn't get the value of it.

Or they just didn't care about that bit, it was just the means to an end.

Or they just don't care about money after a certain point. It's easy to do if you're low maintenance and have a comfortable income.
~Albert Einstein

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2015, 10:03:51 pm »
Some people in high places in the US are seemingly worried about ebil terr'rists, not the Chinese nor the Russians...
Yeah, I've noticed. Sadly those guys seems to be able to do a lot of damage without access to any special technology at all.

Raytheon has build a system of two semi-permanent airships, aerostats, hovering near D.C., carrying powerful radar systems. Their purpose: Detect incoming cruise missiles.

Seems the DIY cruise missile project didn't live in vain. :o
Hadn't heard about those projects before, thanks!

Offline DeathwishTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2015, 10:05:02 pm »
My doodles had nothing to do with anything anyone else ever did. Apart from certificates for Mechanics I have no public claim to fame.

I dont trust our Govt as far as I can throw it but I also do not sit with tin foil round my head. I also know of one person who designed something and they hounded him destroyed his family and made him bankrupt until they got the design legally and cheap - it sits on a shelf in some back room never to be used.

I lived on R.A.F bases most of my life and so I saw a lot of propulsion and mechanics, I also lived in Tadley and Burghfield Common, but have NO scientific background. Its all I will say.
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2015, 10:31:45 pm »
My doodles had nothing to do with anything anyone else ever did. Apart from certificates for Mechanics I have no public claim to fame.

No one's accusing you of copying anyone, just saying that your idea was maybe something someone else independently came up with at roughly the same time but approached others about first. The way I work makes that happen to me a lot lol.
~Albert Einstein

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2015, 10:57:46 pm »
After reading through this thread, I am going to invest in a tin foil company and a hat company.  Looks like business could be booming...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf