Author Topic: Does This Audio MIcrophone Preamplifier Product Exist?  (Read 7096 times)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Does This Audio MIcrophone Preamplifier Product Exist?
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2021, 07:22:58 am »
Tubes add some nice sounding distortion, nothing bad of course!
:palm: Proper tube design should not distort the audio.  Withing the proper specified audio levels, it should be as good as any modern IC amplifier. 
Define "proper". An amplifier designed for music (especially when it takes part in the recording/production process) is not an instrumentation amplifier. It is a legitimate artistic decision to add distortion, equalize or whatnot.

In this kind of equipment that is intentional, hence proper.

:-DD  Sorry - I had to laugh.  (No disrespect intended.)

I've seen both sides of this topic before in a few settings - and all I will say is: You are both right!

Edit: .... and it all started in 1976 when a guitarist tried to get me to hear the Marshall "tone".  Once I equated "tone" to "distortion" and tuned in, it all became much clearer.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 07:25:54 am by Brumby »

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2021, 09:49:49 am »
Tubes add some nice sounding distortion, nothing bad of course!
:palm: Proper tube design should not distort the audio.  Withing the proper specified audio levels, it should be as good as any modern IC amplifier. 
Define "proper". An amplifier designed for music (especially when it takes part in the recording/production process) is not an instrumentation amplifier. It is a legitimate artistic decision to add distortion, equalize or whatnot.

In this kind of equipment that is intentional, hence proper.

I've seen both sides of this topic before in a few settings - and all I will say is: You are both right!

Edit: .... and it all started in 1976 when a guitarist tried to get me to hear the Marshall "tone".  Once I equated "tone" to "distortion" and tuned in, it all became much clearer.

If you are buying an audio amp/preamp for an effect, then yes, you are buying for the distortion.  But this is not what a general amp should be.  This is what an audio processor should be.

As for the Marshall tone, you do know that all electric guitar amps are designed to distort the source audio coming in.  DRASTICALLY by design.  If you do not distort the signal from an electric guitar, your are left with a tin sounding, with every pluck of the guitar pick, something akin to striking thin wires with a mic on the end of each wire.  It sounds like crappy tin acoustic guitar without the inserted over-amped distortion.  Each guitar amp sounds different and the way tubes distort when you feed them a too high peaking signal is crucial to the resulting sound effect.  This is what is meant by the 'Marshall' sound.  It is just the sound effect is makes with it's audio processing as other tube guitar amp's designs will sound different as well.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 09:52:51 am by BrianHG »

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2021, 09:52:05 am »

No offense taken of course! ;)

And yes, I have seen countless puzzled musicians when I say "this distortion sounds beautiful" and they think I'm crazy! "What?? Is it distorted?? OMG!" - "Indeed, distortion is not inherently bad, it's bad only when you didn't want it!"

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2021, 10:44:14 am »
Even the MOTU Ultralite won't tick your boxes. You're probably not going to find a hardware switch solution for muting the outputs when plugging in headphones. I can't even think of an interface that has some plug detection mechanism.

The Rode AI-1 does it.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2021, 10:48:40 am »
Reach out to Louis Rossman and see if he has any all in one suggestions. From what I've seen though he tends to favour software DSPs with a decent ADC. Also try SpectreSoundStudios as well. He reviews a lot of that sort of equipment and may be able to point you in the right direction.
Since when is Rossman now an audio expert?

He worked in a recording studio for several years at least doing repairs and was doing recording and mixing gigs at night using the free time.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2021, 07:59:47 pm »
Just a question, but what's wrong with using post-recording (software) compressor and deesser?
Any decent interface with 24-bit sampling will normally have more than enough headroom to allow post-processing even the compressor part without losing anything much.
But I don't know what kind of software you use, and maybe it doesn't have much in terms of audio processing. Personally I would definitely consider a software effect approach though.

Otherwise, the only "small" (read: not a monster studio rack thing) interface I know of with a built-in compressor is the Universal Audio Volt 276.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2021, 09:17:12 pm »
Even the MOTU Ultralite won't tick your boxes. You're probably not going to find a hardware switch solution for muting the outputs when plugging in headphones. I can't even think of an interface that has some plug detection mechanism.

The Rode AI-1 does it.

Maybe better off designing a board to just do automatic muting, since it *should* be a straightforward hardware task.
I think it would have to be USB powered though.
Have the TRS switch trigger some reed relays. Can get 10mA 5V reed relays (sip-1a05), that will switch ~0.5-1A on the output. I believe that might be enough?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline John B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2021, 10:12:17 pm »
Just a question, but what's wrong with using post-recording (software) compressor and deesser?
Any decent interface with 24-bit sampling will normally have more than enough headroom to allow post-processing even the compressor part without losing anything much.
But I don't know what kind of software you use, and maybe it doesn't have much in terms of audio processing. Personally I would definitely consider a software effect approach though.

Otherwise, the only "small" (read: not a monster studio rack thing) interface I know of with a built-in compressor is the Universal Audio Volt 276.

If the interface has DSP capability, the usual FX are EQ (LPF, HPF, bands and shelves), limiting / compression and sometimes a rudimentary reverb engine. De-essers aren't a typical inclusion.

Universal Audio has a platform / business model of being able to run downloadable plugins on their hardware, more like an optimised software DAW package, but all in a turn-key piece of hardware. You can certainly purchase a de esser for them.

But, the hardware is already expensive then the plugins are expensive too, and it's a proprietary system. The whole thing puts me off.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2021, 10:53:49 pm »

Its for a workflow with these kind of tools: youtube.com/watch?v=APf-YGpNXfY
eg live streams, or live mixing.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2021, 12:18:21 am »
I'll start by saying that this is overkill, as I'm not sure a single channel ADC/DAC exists which also has noise gates, compressor and de-esser. That said, for not a ridiculous amount of money you can just get a Rodecaster Pro.
https://rode.com/interfaces-mixers/rodecaster-pro
Yep things get expensive quickly when people want features, flexibility, and quality. A "simpler" product that also hits the requirements (other than automatic monitor priority) would be the Apollo Solo USB:
https://www.uaudio.com/audio-interfaces/apollo-solo-usb.html
No cheaper though.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2021, 01:20:49 am »

Its for a workflow with these kind of tools: youtube.com/watch?v=APf-YGpNXfY
eg live streams, or live mixing.

Yeah I see. Too bad live streaming can't take audio plugins, although I'm sure there's a way to do that using some audio software with virtual audio in/out (the virtual output then going to a virtual input serving your live streaming app.)

I know Dave asked for a single product and not a sum of things, but frankly, right now, except for the interface shown above (which doesn't have a deesser though), the easiest path, good quality while being cheap enough would be using a DBX 286S plugged into whatever audio interface Dave already uses. The DBX 286S is pretty good, it has all processing you'd expect for microphone signals (compressor, deesser, and more!),  and is about 200 USD. It's good stuff, not some random shit. And bonus is that you can reuse it with any audio interface you want. Just mount it under a desk, or something, and you're set. Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 01:22:36 am by SiliconWizard »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2021, 02:20:18 am »

As Dave has said - and something to which I can fully understand (and attest) - getting it right in the camera is always better for two reasons:
  1. Original quality - not wrangled into trying to make it sound (or look) better.  Pay attention to microphones, background noise and such as well as lighting, colour balance, etc.
  2. Reduces steps in the work flow.  Time is not a commodity to waste, so if you can avoid performing a 'fix' process (or two) for every video, then that's well worth the effort of setting it up properly once.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, SeanB

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2021, 07:50:21 am »
I asked this on the latest Amp Hour, does this product exist?

A single USB interface microphone pre-amplifier with the following:
- Compressor and De-esser controls
- 48 Phantom power
- Heaphone output that disables line output whne plugged in.
- balanced XLR line outputs for monitoring

Basically the same as my Rode AI-1 or Scarlett Solo but with a compressor and De-esser circuit as well.

I know you can combine products to do all this, but I'm after an all-in-one box.
Thinking about maybe designing one myself, because it just kinda peeves me off that such a thing might not exist.
Surely I can't be the only one that needs a USB microphone audio interface with real time analog compressor and de-esser controls to tweak your microphone audio?

Hello Dave.

Have you considered asking the ever incredible Paul Carlson of “Mr Carlson's Lab”? He’s a veritable electronics savant - if he hasn’t got one ready made, I bet he’d like to make one for you.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2021, 03:38:30 pm »
Yeah I see. Too bad live streaming can't take audio plugins, although I'm sure there's a way to do that using some audio software with virtual audio in/out (the virtual output then going to a virtual input serving your live streaming app.)

Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack and Loopback will do exactly this.

Mac only, of course, because the Windows audio subsystem remains a shitshow.

I know Dave asked for a single product and not a sum of things, but frankly, right now, except for the interface shown above (which doesn't have a deesser though), the easiest path, good quality while being cheap enough would be using a DBX 286S plugged into whatever audio interface Dave already uses.

This is, of course, the simplest way.

Offline optoisolated

• Supporter
  • If in doubt, it's probably user error.
    • OpsBros
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2021, 01:55:53 pm »
Following up on my original post about the Rode PodCaster option; I've been playing with mine for a few weeks now and am absolutely loving the Aphex module. The voice output from the Podcaster with High Pass Filter, Noise Gate, De-esser and compresser enabled, and the Aphex module gives it that extra low and upper end. Really gives you that sultry late-night radio voice. I'm using it with a Rode NT1-A as well, and it has a built in profile for that specific microphone, and phantom power, of course.

Ive been using it to do recordings all week and the USB input/output straight into the PC is excellent, i've actually ditched my Focusrite 2i2 for my PC and just use the Podcaster instead. The speaker/monitor out is perfect for that.

Plugging the headphone in doesnt mute the speakers, but the speaker and headphone volume controls are right next to each other. Very convenient. You can also configure automatically muting the output whenever a channel slider is turned up, ensuring you don’t experience feedback while using monitors. Turning the mic level up will mute the speakers. Handy.

Overall, I'm loving it. If you can get a cheap one on eBay I think it would do what dave needs. (I scored mine for about 400)

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2021, 02:49:36 pm »
am absolutely loving the Aphex module.
Aural Perception Heterodyne EXciter, no less!

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2021, 09:01:33 pm »
Doesn't tick all of the boxes but having tried a craptonne of USB audio interfaces over the years I really cannot fault my Motu M4.

It has lots of balanced outputs (Not XLR) and line level outputs.
Separate Headphone and Monitor volume controls (I too was concerned about auto switching, but this is fine)
Amazing quality ADC's and DAC's
No DSP, but I don't know what does have that built in - Well other than the Behringer X AIR stuff.

And I forget I have it as it gives me zero trouble and just works, unlike what I can say for other interfaces I've used.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2022, 06:21:29 am »
Resurrecting this topic, Rode have announced a new version of Rodecaster with much improved microphone preamps and other improvements.

If the price is similar to the original version and they have corrected some issues it is a steal!

https://rode.com/en/interfaces-and-mixers/rodecaster-series/rodecaster-pro-ii

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2022, 09:32:31 am »
Old thread. but seems like someone at Behringer reads this forum

https://www.thomann.de/es/behringer_uv1.htm

if I am not wrong this thing ticks all your boxes, and the price is nice.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2022, 08:29:38 am »
Old thread. but seems like someone at Behringer reads this forum

https://www.thomann.de/es/behringer_uv1.htm

if I am not wrong this thing ticks all your boxes, and the price is nice.

Close, but it doesn't have stereo line output from the USB to go to the speakers.

Offline blackdog

• Frequent Contributor
  • Please stop pushing bullshit...
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2022, 09:26:32 am »
Hi Dave,

Its a Mono device, but you can split the output to L an R?

Kind regards,
Bram
Necessity is not an established fact, but an interpretation.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2022, 09:42:21 am »
Its a Mono device, but you can split the output to L an R?

That's not the point. I want stereo playback from the computer via USB. I don't have USB monitor speakers, they are line in.

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2022, 10:17:43 am »
I think the Keith McMillan Instruments K- mix has everything you ask for

https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/k-mix/

$600

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2022, 11:56:17 am »
 if a product doesn't exist then be the first to make it.   start a business?
if its not legal as a all new product -because of copyright or brand ownership by others , 
then maybe perhaps a kit of parts?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 11:58:29 am by jonovid »
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2022, 12:04:08 pm »
if a product doesn't exist then be the first to make it.   start a business?

I suspect that not many people have my exact requirement.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf