Author Topic: Double-Head Flashlight can be effective time saver !  (Read 1204 times)

Offline RJSVTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Double-Head Flashlight can be effective time saver !
« on: May 31, 2023, 04:35:48 am »
   I'm noticing lots of cases where I've initially picked up my flashlight; it's one that hasn't much for visual clues, as to which end is which, business end being the lamp output.  Very similar issue, where smartphone package lacks much in 'cues' as to which end is top, which is bottom.
   Statistically, either way (when picking up), should present at about 50% / 50% but it always seems like 90% of the time, the act of picking the thing up...it goes to the wrong 50% !
OK, I never studied statistics, but.., is that really a science ? lol

And so, having the flashlight newly in hand, I've learned literally been doing quick hand swipes, to feel for the 'front' lens, and, like I said, 90 % of the time...it's wrong and there I am, distracted and annoyed.
(Don't try this while driving).  I need a DOUBLE HEAD action flashlight, where the feature orientation doesn't matter as your on-off button is right there, every time.  No fuss or timid glances to distract from present focus, just a well thought out package design that really does a good job!

Of course the 'prototype' model only required a few pieces of DUCT TAPE, and I'm good to go, hyper-efficient.

lol

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: Double-Head Flashlight can be effective time saver !
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 05:15:16 am »
have you considered a small lantern? one with a magnetic base

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 11:15:59 am »
   I'm noticing lots of cases where I've initially picked up my flashlight; it's one that hasn't much for visual clues, as to which end is which, business end being the lamp output. 

Have you noticed that there is a wrist strap, attached to the "handling" end where the button is?  ::)

If you want additional tactile feedback, you could also add an O-ring to one end, or a turn of brightly colored adhesive tape for a visual clue. The Janus-headed double flashlight seems rather impractical to me: unnecessarily bulky, especially when you want to illuminate small gaps; and doesn't the other wrist strap always dangle in the way?

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 12:47:24 pm »
Related, I think the TiVo remote control is a master-class in design in terms of helping the user reliably and easily orient the remote control into their hand in a dark room.

It's just more expensive to build tooling for that, so for a flashlight competing in the "under $5 for an LED flashlight" market, it would likely fail.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 01:49:14 pm »

Double-Head Flashlight can be effective time saver !

It sounds like a solution to a non-existent problem to me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 06:49:47 pm »
Thanks for the comment about marketing costs, in a product already very cheap, that's a practical barrier for sure.
   But the time / aggravation is very real, it's just so slight (a time waste) that most people tend to move attention onto other things...like whatever got you to pick up a flashlight in the first place.

That flashlight strap I've shown doesn't really help, in the moment, as rough or quick glance doesn't necessarily mean you can see which is the attachment end, as it drapes along the whole flashlight.
But, by analogy, my cellphone has the exact same issue;  Often I've picked up phone, and squint eyes discerning the orientation.  The cellphone has a top part of it's case just over 1 cm while the case front at the bottom is slightly larger, 1.6 cm.
That means I likely spend over 1 second, of distraction, BEFORE taking action, if needed, to rotate the phone, before I plug in the various accessory cables, (headphones and DC power), and start using phone.   (Actually the cellphone thing is what motivated me to examine the orientation issues to begin with).
   Ergonomics and packaging decisions have interesting aspects.   It's not so much the minor little time bits 'lost' during re-orientation, but rather the frequent interruption of the 'flow' of intention and examination of a real, more substantial and demanding activity.
   I suppose my 'ideal' remote control would be very lumpy and triangular shaped, (somewhat).

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 06:52:14 pm »
During the course of a year, flipping your flashlight around might cost you as much time as writing these posts.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 08:53:09 pm »
nah it can be mad annoying in a panel or equipment. Around the right weird cabinets it could be useful because its one less thing to keep track of. I like lanterns, but usually I work in shallow stuff. If its deep then a double flash light would be good.

If you get pissed and you are putting brain power towards remembering how to place the flashlight thats how you make a mistake and wire up something wrong

and for energized stuff you want a flash light too, for de energized things I just stick a lantern in there, but thats a shock hazard..

Theoretically useless, practically when you are there for 10000% longer then you thought you would be and you have a bonfire pile of crimp strip and drivers infront of you, and you are at wits end, that flashlight would be useful

You can clip a adjustable light to your chest too, or wear a goose neck one like a necklace, but that is also annoying.

I also imagine it would be useful for fucking around in side of some deep gear box cabinet thingy (like a mechanical distribution system).

haha i bet it might be useful for dealing with trouble shooting a satellite too
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 08:58:02 pm by coppercone2 »

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2023, 01:27:29 am »
I don't have a problem sorting out where the photons emit from but rather there are never enough of them.   

I also made one, from scrap.  Two house lights that had failed were gutted for their arrays which were mounted to a heatsink.  4 18650s that were discarded from an old laptop,  along with a SMS current source to power them.   I had a plastic cover of the LEDs but it really needs a proper lens. 

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2023, 01:29:44 am »
the ergonomics of design you got to love it
we have designs that are more satisfactory but its just too expensive to re-design.
I could write a book on the subject. starting with tv remotes and microwave ovens.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2023, 02:13:20 am »
Coppercone2 ! Thanks,
   I tend to gravitate towards those who already accept my viewpoints...only natural.
   NASA designers probably a lot more on my side, even to the point of PAYING a good Engineer's month of time, to get some ergonomic designs prioritized and developed.  Ditto for SCUBA divers, fire dept. , and especially any fast moving situation, like on a 3-D gaming competition.

Modern technology can start to build various hand-held devices that:
   1.)  Squirm, wink, and fluidly SWITCH HEADS and buttons, just in time to intercept a fumbling hand approaching them.  A kind of 'Liquid Metal' hand-held whatever, flashlight, radio for fire fighters, panic button, whatever 'smart' device capable of anticipating the action, of picking device up without major refocus.
   2.).  Hilarious device behaviour when 'the wrong' character attempts to pick up (an Officer's gun for example).  The little sucker could scream and attempt to wiggle away, from the unwanted suitor.
.("His hands were all over me!").  Protesting loudly for several minutes, even after unauthorized grabber has fled the scene.

3.). With a (machine) sense of humor, could maybe 'tease' someone who, owns the little lamp, but deserves a bit of pursuit...skittering away a few inches across the table. (And then eases back, teasing yet more!)

4.). A 'liquid Metal' remote control / flashlight / can opener (beer can),...

Anybody got the number, for the PATENT OFFICE ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf