Author Topic: Double jeopardy  (Read 4732 times)

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
Re: Double jeopardy
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2018, 05:55:13 am »
Certain words on the sign are being *emphasized* just like you do with a text message.
I'd instantly delete all messages plus the phone number of anyone who does that at me. I've never seen that convention either. Asterisks, sure. All capitals or using spacing too. But not this. Thankfully.
Haven't you read an Old Document like the US Declaration of Independence? Capitalization was used for Emphasis back then.

Then it got out of hand, with everyone capitalizing every other word, and it was decided to stop doing that.
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2018, 10:20:56 pm »
It’s clearly a Capital Offence.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2018, 10:59:52 pm »
Haven't you read an Old Document like the US Declaration of Independence? Capitalization was used for Emphasis back then.

Then it got out of hand, with everyone capitalizing every other word, and it was decided to stop doing that.
It depends on who you ask. Germans had and have rather different ideas about it, for instance.

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2018, 12:14:58 am »
It depends on who you ask. Germans had and have rather different ideas about it, for instance.
True. In German, all Nouns are capitalized. In English, back when Words were Capitalized for Emphasis, it wasn't just Nouns, though.
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2018, 03:17:37 am »
It’s clearly a Capital Offence.

The Universe has taken note of this and forwarded a memorandum to Mr Murphy.  You can expect that Mr Murphy may drop in at any moment.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf