Poll

Has the thread on dowsing changed your point of view?

Yes, I thought dowsing worked, but now I'm not convinced it does.
1 (1.2%)
Yes, I thought dowsing didn't work and now I think it does.
4 (4.8%)
No, I always thought dowsing was woo woo and still do.
70 (83.3%)
No, I believed dowsing worked before and still do.
9 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Author Topic: Dowsing  (Read 12692 times)

Online Zero999Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Dowsing
« on: December 19, 2017, 06:04:06 pm »
If you want to participate in this poll, please read the first five or so pages, of the thread linked below:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/scientist-finds-uk-water-companies-use-'magic'-to-find-leaks/

Please note: this thread is not a discussion of whether or not dowsing works! I'm more interested in whether the thread has changed anyone's mind. If you want to discuss the efficacy of dowsing, please do so in the other thread.

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
Re: Dowsing
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 06:06:39 pm »
You're joking, right? Keep the BS in one thread. Mr. Wolf is a troll of the first order.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 06:10:28 pm »
You're joking, right? Keep the BS in one thread. Mr. Wolf is a troll of the first order.
Trolls typically like to tip over the first domino and watch the rest go on their own, occasionally fanning the flames. That's not what I see in the thread. Considerable effort is put in to keep the shit cart rolling, so there seems to be a fair bit of personal investment.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 07:10:30 pm »
First checking the poll results plainly shows this is the non believers thread.  :scared:

Edit
Added 'results'.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:14:13 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 07:30:31 pm »
First checking the poll plainly shows this is the non believers thread.  :scared:
What makes you say that? Because I, someone who thinks dowsing is nonsense, posted it or have I used the wrong wording?

If you look at the options, I've put just as many believer as cynic options.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 08:04:30 pm »
First checking the poll plainly shows this is the non believers thread.  :scared:
What makes you say that? Because I, someone who thinks dowsing is nonsense, posted it or have I used the wrong wording?

You have and that needs be commended.

But the poll results at this time speak for themselves.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 08:10:20 pm »

The thread is neutral, as I could possibly make it.

The results of the poll will reflect the consensus of this forum. I'm more interested in whether anyone has changed their view on dowsing, than the number of believers vs doubters.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 08:11:26 pm »

I don't follow your reasoning tautech. Results are results and the thread is looking for an answer, not to embarrass anyone nor demonstrate anything else other than how the other thread has changed or not changed people's views.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 08:15:06 pm »
I don't follow your reasoning tautech. Results are results and the thread is looking for an answer, not to embarrass anyone nor demonstrate anything else other than how the other thread has changed or not changed people's views.
I think he's just saying that there's more non-believers here.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 08:24:15 pm »
Somebody please lock this thread!  |O

... and the other one!  :palm:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:28:09 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: hexreader, Mr. Scram, Freelander

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 08:35:31 pm »
I think he's just saying that there's more non-believers here.
That may be true, but it wasn't the main focus of the thread. I want to see if having the debate has actually changed anyone's view on dowsing, regardless of which the side of the argument they're on.

Somebody please lock this thread!  |O

... and the other one!  :palm:
No one's making you read this!

Don't like it? Ignore it.

The following users thanked this post: Lightages, drussell

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 08:55:12 pm »
I just don't see the point of opening up a new thread to poll people on something that has already got a 25 page, mostly three person argument on it.

The only reason I can see for you having opened another thread is to gratify yourself with some sort of public aproval of your own opinion. People either believe in it or they don't The only outcome can be people from one camp trying to sway the other - and you already have a thread for that. It just drags down the level of the forum!
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 09:03:05 pm »
I just don't see the point of opening up a new thread to poll people on something that has already got a 25 page, mostly three person argument on it.

The only reason I can see for you having opened another thread is to gratify yourself with some sort of public aproval of your own opinion. People either believe in it or they don't The only outcome can be people from one camp trying to sway the other - and you already have a thread for that. It just drags down the level of the forum!
It's not three people in the other thread. It's more of a tag team of people versus a holdout with horrible form.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 09:06:58 pm »
Ok, I get that - and a poll helps how? The holdout is going to magically see the error of his ways?  ::)

I thought we didn't feed trolls here!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:11:42 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 09:11:53 pm »
Ok, I get that - and a poll helps how? The holdout is going to magically see the error of his ways?  ::)
It's interesting to see that nobody has moved on his or her opinion, though it's utterly unsurprising.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 09:12:02 pm »
Have you considered that many have followed the thread but have not posted? Have you considered that the idea of this thread is to assess what the effects of the other thread might be and whether or not it is a good idea to have threads like the dowsing thread on this forum?

The following users thanked this post: Zero999

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 09:17:17 pm »
Have you considered that the idea of this thread is to assess what the effects of the other thread might be and whether or not it is a good idea to have threads like the dowsing thread on this forum?

In that case, there should be a vote option for 'This dowsing thread brings down the tone of the Forum' or similar wording! Please add it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:18:53 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 09:23:56 pm »
If you want to participate in this poll, please read the first five or so pages, of the thread linked below:

Sorry, I made it as far as the mention of a divining rod.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 09:25:39 pm »
Have you considered that many have followed the thread but have not posted? Have you considered that the idea of this thread is to assess what the effects of the other thread might be and whether or not it is a good idea to have threads like the dowsing thread on this forum?
I see no need for such an item. I considered other options such as: unsure or possibly, but didn't want to complicate it any further. You've voiced your disapproval and it'd been noted.

That was the idea.  I saw one or two people, who seemed to be recondidering whether it worked or not and would like to hear from them, but the debate hasn't changed anyone's view, then was it worth having in the first place?

I was tempted to just have a simple yes or no answer to the question, but thought that wouldn't have given enough information.

EDIT:
Wahoooo! Someone's changed their view. Good for them. There's no shame in it. I've changed my view on things before, that's OK.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 09:34:59 pm »
I see no need for such an item. I considered other options such as: unsure or possibly, but didn't want to complicate it any further. You've voiced your disapproval and it'd been noted.

Of course you don't. My disapproval hasn't been noted in any statistical way, neither has that of anyone else feeling the same way. Five options so much harder for people to consider than four? Without it, the poll looks valid, with it, the other votes could well be so far down in the noise that they are not statistically valid. This is a technical forum!

Damn, I'm actually beginning to care about this!  :palm:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:42:16 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Freelander

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2017, 10:02:07 pm »

:-DD

Made my day Chris, I nearly spat me tea out  :clap:

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2017, 10:05:26 pm »

Of course you don't. My disapproval hasn't been noted in any statistical way, neither has that of anyone else feeling the same way. Five options so much harder for people to consider than four? Without it, the poll looks valid, with it, the other votes could well be so far down in the noise that they are not statistically valid. This is a technical forum!

What about those who may have not changed their view on dowsing and think discussing it is a waste of time? I could have allowed multiple choices, but that wouldn't stop someone from selecting conflicting ones.

Someone else might mention another option, not listed above, followed by many more!

The focus of the poll wasn't about whether or not we should be discussing subjects such as dowsing, but if having such a debate actually changes anyone's opinion. The results of the poll will hopefully help people make up their own minds, as to whether such discussions are worthwhile or not.

If you feel that strongly about it, then you're always free to start your own poll!

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2017, 10:11:45 pm »
If you feel that strongly about it, then you're always free to start your own poll!

Not on your life, I'm not propagating this folly any further!

Just be aware that any poll without any sort of 'null' option can't be statistically valid, and is as a result, pointless!

P.S.
What about those who may have not changed their view on dowsing and think discussing it is a waste of time?

Yes, that will do nicely! (you can even leave out the second half if you want  :))
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 10:25:20 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2017, 10:38:31 pm »
The poll will be skewed in any event.  The 'safe' answer is "it doesn't work and I never thought it did".  That's an easy choice to make.  Further, there is bound to be a certain amount of ridicule for those who believe that it does work.  There will be even more ridicule for those who claim to have had success using such a technique.  Those folks will probably refrain from voting.

And yet the utility company still allows, even encourages, the use of dowsing and, presumably, they find it worthwhile.  After all, they're in the business and time is money.

The results are what they are but the poll is not statistically valid.  People lie to pollsters.  Remember the last election?  The polls had voters saying one thing but voting another.  Or the poll only measured 'blue' areas.  It is not valid to simply sample New York and California - at this moment in time, they are political outliers.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2017, 10:41:36 pm »
The poll will be skewed in any event.  The 'safe' answer is "it doesn't work and I never thought it did".  That's an easy choice to make.  Further, there is bound to be a certain amount of ridicule for those who believe that it does work.  There will be even more ridicule for those who claim to have had success using such a technique.  Those folks will probably refrain from voting.

And yet the utility company still allows, even encourages, the use of dowsing and, presumably, they find it worthwhile.  After all, they're in the business and time is money.

The results are what they are but the poll is not statistically valid.  People lie to pollsters.  Remember the last election?  The polls had voters saying one thing but voting another.  Or the poll only measured 'blue' areas.  It is not valid to simply sample New York and California - at this moment in time, they are political outliers.
Voting is anonymous, so there's no fear of ridicule, other than generic comments.

The rest of your comments have been addressed in the other thread. No need to rehash it here.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf