Author Topic: Dreamworld becomes Nightmareworld  (Read 14339 times)

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Dreamworld becomes Nightmareworld
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2016, 12:43:28 pm »
Was reminded of this

That guy was a complete pillock. At 5:07 he hits her a third time deliberately and gave the child a shunt that could have damaged her neck/spine. If I was her dad and saw what he did (I'm sure she told her dad afterwards), I might have chucked the guy over the hills  :palm:

She was in tears and struggling to walk  :(
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 12:45:18 pm by RGB255_0_0 »
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2016, 03:39:19 pm »
What a complete A-hole! And if he just waited a bit longer he could have gone as fast as he wanted!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2016, 11:34:12 pm »
 Yeah I'd kind of like to ride one of those but I would have to go when the place is like completely empty because I would go soooo slow. Anyone behind me would just completely hate me, unless they waited until I was almost finished to start off. Then again, maybe I would like that, since you do have some semblance of control, and I like to drive fast - but I hate coasters, I just don't go on them. Someone once said - but you like the drive fast, it's the same thing. No, when I drive fast I'm in control of the car, not at someone else's mercy. Kind of like those IndyCar and NASCAR ride-alongs - I want to do the one where you drive the car, I have no desire to be in the right side seat being driven by someone else to within an inch of the outside wall.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 02:24:22 am »
Yeah I'd kind of like to ride one of those but I would have to go when the place is like completely empty because I would go soooo slow. Anyone behind me would just completely hate me, unless they waited until I was almost finished to start off. Then again, maybe I would like that, since you do have some semblance of control, and I like to drive fast - but I hate coasters, I just don't go on them. Someone once said - but you like the drive fast, it's the same thing. No, when I drive fast I'm in control of the car, not at someone else's mercy. Kind of like those IndyCar and NASCAR ride-alongs - I want to do the one where you drive the car, I have no desire to be in the right side seat being driven by someone else to within an inch of the outside wall.

Finally, someone who gets it! My friends can never understand how I can drive a motorcycle at close to 200MPH or take the corners of a track at 85MPH in my car, yet not like roller coasters.

The difference is *I'm* in control. *I* meticulously maintain my vehicles, so I know what they're capable of. I also know my car isn't going to break down and leave me hanging upside in a loop for 3 hours, but a roller coaster can (I've seen it). There's very few things I can imagine that would suck worse than that!
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

The following users thanked this post: rrinker

Offline raptor1956Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 03:10:11 am »
It's pretty hard to envision every possible failure mechanism and provide controls to prevent it.  And, even when you can envision it it may be impractical to develop a control to prevent it.  We don't live in rubber lined rooms and thankfully so.

With what little we know at this point it's safe to say the conveyors played a role though just exactly what and how has yet  to be detailed.  I wonder if they have torque monitoring on the motors driving the conveyor and if so what the torque profile looked like before, during and after.

Ultimately four people lost there lives and the two children that survived witnessed something you would not want a child to endure.  Keep them in you thoughts...

Brian

Torque sensing might work, but it's finicky (how much torque is dangerous?). A better system would be proximity sensors of some sort (lidar, sonic, radar) on the end of each conveyor and a little way before the end of the back conveyer to monitor the passing rafts and check for obstructions.

Again, it's still too early to know what actually happened and what the remedy might be.  And, as others have mentioned, there's both active and passive controls that might figure into it.  My take is that you use passive controls to the extent that you can and then you use active controls for additional safety margins.  I mentioned torque monitoring not because I thought that would solve the problem but because it might provide a sensing mechanism that if other systems failed, might stop the ride so that the operators and support techs could look into it. 

You might have a component that can get hot and the passive control is better ventilation, but you still want to measure the temperature...

Brian

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2016, 10:17:26 am »
What a complete A-hole! And if he just waited a bit longer he could have gone as fast as he wanted!
Parenting hint: always be the one behind your kids on rides like these and water slides. I have been doing that when my kids where little and appearantly for good reason.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2016, 11:51:53 am »
Parenting hint: always be the one behind your kids on rides like these and water slides. I have been doing that when my kids where little and appearantly for good reason.
I think the dad went in front because he was keeping his "daughter" (assumption) at a pace and he had his youngest with him in his car.

You can't cater for a person behind being a douche.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2016, 07:13:10 pm »
 Yeah if the Dad was in front with a smaller child riding along, it could have been WORSE when the douche rammed from behind if he was behind the older girl.  The idiot was just too impatient - he nearly bumps the girl once, then lightly bumps her, and then finally the big bang. After the first time you'd think it would light up a brain cell or two that would say, wait a little longer so the ones in front of me can get out of the way. Or at least after the second time when he actually did bump her. But nope. Common sense - let them get further ahead, then you can go as fast as you want. But nope, all too lacking in society these days.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf