Author Topic: Dress standards for engineers  (Read 56790 times)

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
Re: Dress standards for engineers
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2014, 09:43:51 pm »
Hey that's the same phone I have (still, in 2014)
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2014, 10:15:00 pm »
Hey that's the same phone I have (still, in 2014)

I'm still using a Nokia 6610

Offline johnwill

• Contributor
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2014, 10:37:35 pm »
I usually wear jeans, nice shoes, and a dressy collared shirt. I've never had any problems getting jobs or internships. I'm a CS major though, which might have a "less formal" reputation than some other engineering majors. I think a suit and tie is unnecessary, though you wouldn't look out of place.

Offline Tinkerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2014, 12:25:11 am »
The oddest dress standard I've encountered was a bloke called Alan, who'd often be naked in the lab early in the morning.
So he must have been one of the head guys? I am sure many places are lenient in their code, but I cant see all but the most uncaring, perhaps, that would allow that.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2014, 12:51:16 am »
I doubt he had a window seat... :)

Would it be good or bad for ESD prevention? The sticky heelstraps wouldn't work on bare feet and I guess a wriststrap would be seen as overdressing.

Offline VK3DRBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2014, 11:15:42 am »
I totally 100% reject your notion of 'the clothes makes the man'.  that was from a bygone era and no longer applies.

Clearly you'd be able to safely know things about me if I had that tattoo.

Sport a few tattoos and it won't do yourself any favours trying to get a job in a professional company as an engineer. Same with men dolling themselves up with earrings. Lets' face it, you won't find the CEO of a major corporation with tatts around his neck and over their skinhead with a couple of dainty earrings dangling from his ear lobes. One company I worked with had a brilliant IT bloke - the best of the best - who had multicoloured hair (he was not a natural greenhead). He had a great attitude, aptitude and ability. He went for a job as an IT manager where he would have excelled, but didn't get it because he did not fit in the corporate image. The bloke who got the job proved to be a complete IT moron - full of :bullshit: and little skill.  Lets' face it, people judge by appearance.

In Japan, in general you are not allowed to enter a public pool is you have got tatts. That includes women. If a shop keeper sees a tattoo on you, they will often put up their hands symbolising "I refuse to serve you. Now, get out." The reason is tattoos are associated with undesirables like the Yakuza.

So if you don't look the part and conform, you do limit your options.

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2014, 11:23:53 am »
In our automotive company, the normal work at the bench or in internal meetings are done in casual clothes, i.e. jeans and also Birkenstock sandals (summer w/o socks  :palm:) allowed.

If our engineers visit our dear customers, best suit and tie are mostly obligatory.

Our suppliers come dressed the same, so it is simply a sign of politeness, to wear similar clothes, when we welcome them.

Frank
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:27:40 am by Dr. Frank »

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2014, 12:41:29 pm »
Sport a few tattoos and it won't do yourself any favours trying to get a job in a professional company as an engineer. [...] One company I worked with had a brilliant IT bloke [...] who had multicoloured hair [...]. He went for a job as an IT manager where he would have excelled, but didn't get it because he did not fit in the corporate image. [...] In Japan, in general you are not allowed to enter a public pool is you have got tatts. So if you don't look the part and conform, you do limit your options.

Yes, discrimination based on looks is a reality. But it's still discrimination and should NOT be allowed to. >:(

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2014, 12:59:53 pm »
Yes, discrimination based on looks is a reality. But it's still discrimination and should NOT be allowed to. >:(

Reminds me a story I read about Abe Lincoln. After he met with a guy he told his aid that he did not like the look of that guy.  When the aid  challenged him he said "by the time you get to this age, you have a lot to do with how you look".

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2014, 05:02:41 pm »

Reminds me a story I read about Abe Lincoln. After he met with a guy he told his aid that he did not like the look of that guy.  When the aid  challenged him he said "by the time you get to this age, you have a lot to do with how you look".

That's a bit rich coming from Lincoln who was no oil painting himself.

I started out in jeans/khakis and a dress shirt or t-shirt on Fridays working for SMEs and big boys like Motorola. When I moved into finance, it was 3 piece suits, hand made leather shoes and an expensive watch. You really needed to look "the part" to be taken seriously in a meeting such is the shallowness of some people. Now I spend most days in my underwear. I think I have moved up in the world considerably. :D

The most knowledgable people that I have met could have been wearing potato sacks for all I care, I never noticed what they wore. Those who were all hat and no cattle were usually dressed extravegantly and made sure everyone knew it.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2014, 05:21:18 pm »
I started out in jeans/khakis and a dress shirt or t-shirt on Fridays working for SMEs and big boys like Motorola. When I moved into finance, it was 3 piece suits, hand made leather shoes and an expensive watch. You really needed to look "the part" to be taken seriously in a meeting such is the shallowness of some people. Now I spend most days in my underwear. I think I have moved up in the world considerably. :D

Yeah, when you're in a club, you're expected to dress the part.  Finance is little more than astrology & psychic prediction, to me.  So, yes, a wanking club.  Last one to hit the cookie eats it.

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2014, 05:32:30 pm »

Yeah, when you're in a club, you're expected to dress the part.  Finance is little more than astrology & psychic prediction, to me.  So, yes, a wanking club.  Last one to hit the cookie eats it.

You are insulting astrology and psychic prediction... at least they have an interesting dress sense usually.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2014, 07:08:24 pm »
I remember reading a rather odd study in which they asked renown financial gurus to pick 10 stocks for them each weak over the cause of a year. They'd invest a fictional amount of money in them, then compared the total to stocks parrot had picked at random. The parrot came out with $10 less of a loss.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2014, 07:20:02 pm »
You know you're useless when a random number generator does a better job of picking than you do.  this is why they place so much importance on things that don't matter - because they have nothing else to control.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2014, 09:23:56 pm »

I contend that using visual cues is often very useful, along with how someone acts, etc and helps you form an overall picture.  Some of this discrimination talk is bullshit by the PC brigade.

If you turn up here for a job interview looking scruffy your application will be in the circular file (bin) real quick.   :-DD

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2014, 12:14:47 am »

If you turn up here for a job interview looking scruffy your application will be in the circular file (bin) real quick.   :-DD

I'm sure you miss out on a lot of good people that way.  but its your choice.  if you prefer 'looks' over ability, hey, its your company, not mine.

similarly, if I heard of a boss making such snap judgements, it works both ways: I would not want to work for a guy who makes such surface-level judgements without even taking the time to meet the PERSON.

I think a lot of this is cultural.  in more formal countries, people are much more hung-up on 'fitting in'.  but again, its a 2-way filter.  maybe all you want is middle-of-the-road employees.  you won't get superstars with that attitude, though, I am quite sure of that.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2014, 02:19:17 am »

I'm sure you miss out on a lot of good people that way.  but its your choice.  if you prefer 'looks' over ability, hey, its your company, not mine.

Yep, it's my choice and the PC brigade can take a hike as far as I'm concerned.   :)

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2014, 02:31:41 am »
appearance as a statement of personality is only valid so much. after that, appearance becomes a statement of laziness and/or lack of understanding.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2014, 02:47:15 am »
some people really don't want to be 'just like everyone else'.  and being different in how they dress does help them.

why is that so hard to accept?  why is that met with resistance?

one is more free and the other is more restrictive.  shouldn't we be moving toward more freedom?

if you look at social dress standards over the last centuries, the trend has been to dress 'down' and less formal.  there is no push to be -more- formal.

the trend is clear.  get with the program or be left behind.  but don't force employees to conform if they don't want to.  that's really old and backward thinking.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2014, 03:11:55 am »
the trend is clear.  get with the program or be left behind.  but don't force employees to conform if they don't want to.  that's really old and backward thinking.

That's your opinion and of course you're entitled to it.  Just like I'm free to do things the way I want to.   ;)

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: March 19, 2014, 03:20:08 am »
ok, but I'm not sure you can see both sides.

none of us have argued that personal expression is bad.  it seems that you think we believe that any non-standard dress is forbidden. that is not the case.

we only see physical traits that indicate the presence of some very odd personality trait.

would you walk into the home of a chronic hoarder and decree it to be purely personal expression? I wouldn't.  hoarders have real issues.  people that keep a clean home and put up bob Marley posters are expressing themselves.

people that wear clothes with rips and stains aren't even in the same sport as someone that dresses neatly, no matter what it is they're wearing.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2014, 07:04:50 am »
I certainly agree there's nothing wrong with personal expression, but you can't expect to do (or wear) whatever you please (without bounds) when you work for someone else.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #122 on: March 19, 2014, 07:41:41 am »
without bounds?  is that a 'no-true-scotsman' thing going on, there? ;)

no one ever said 'without bounds'.  we are talking about clean, non ripped clothes that just happen not to be what 'the boss wears' or what the boss may WANT us to wear.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2014, 08:08:12 am »
some people really don't want to be 'just like everyone else'.  and being different in how they dress does help them.

why is that so hard to accept?  why is that met with resistance?

one is more free and the other is more restrictive.  shouldn't we be moving toward more freedom?

if you look at social dress standards over the last centuries, the trend has been to dress 'down' and less formal.  there is no push to be -more- formal.

You have a valid point and many talented people in both software and electronics do not feel the need to conform to conventional dress codes. It says little about their ability as an engineer.

But there are more forces at play, especially in an interview situation. Everyone who works with others has to fit in at least a little otherwise, however talented they are, it will be difficult to get useful effort from them. We've touched on things like Asperger's before in the forum.

Fitting in and wearing a suit (if that's what is expected) to an interview signals that there is recognition that occasionally one has to bend a little and see things from others' viewpoint. That's quite important for fitting socially to the office environment and understanding project requirements.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2014, 08:09:45 am »
It's pretty simple; if the employer requires you to wear a certain standard of clothing (uniform or otherwise), you do it.  If you don't want to do that, you can ask for an exemption or find another job.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf