Author Topic: Power Strip and AC Voltage Detector  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Pagweb

• Contributor
Power Strip and AC Voltage Detector
« on: February 10, 2013, 02:51:14 am »
Greetings, Everyone.

I have a question. See, I purchased an AC voltage detector and was testing it around my house when I realized that some of my devices triggered it. Those devices were supposed to be off, but they triggered the voltage detector. They were connected to a power strip. When I unplugged them from the power strip they stop triggering the detector. But the power strip has a switch and it was set to off. This happened with all the power strips in my house. Whether they are switched on or off, they trigger the detector. Can anyone tell me what is up with that? I find it really weird.

Thanks.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Power Strip and AC Voltage Detector
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 02:58:08 am »
Is it a power strip or a surge protector?

Non-contact voltage detectors are very sensitive and will give false positives on devices that are capacitively connected to the supply. For example, my iPhone will make a voltage detector beep like mad when it is plugged into the charger.
I'm not an EE--what am I doing here?

Offline Pagweb

• Contributor
Re: Power Strip and AC Voltage Detector
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 03:11:12 am »
Yes. They are power strips with surge protection. Well, I guess that's the answer. And also, now that you mention it, my LG motion phone charger also does triggers the voltage detector...

Anyway, thanks for info.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf