Author Topic: Dumpster dive: JVC CA-MXC7TN (Fixed CD, manuals still around?)  (Read 449 times)

Offline edyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
Dumpster dive: JVC CA-MXC7TN (Fixed CD, manuals still around?)
« on: October 15, 2021, 07:35:48 am »
I found this mini component system being trashed. Picked it up, plugged in and worked except CD player and changer made grinding noise and nothing happened. Opened it up and after fussing around with trying to access deep into the gear/motor mechanism I saw a worm gear loose (fell off spindle of motor). Apparently this is a common issue on these as I googled a similar find and repair and even the eBay listing I got the picture from says CD not working (https://www.ebay.com/itm/133861265224).

These guys never quite diagnosed the problem as it was obvious from the grinding noise it was same issue as I had with worm gear slipping off the motor on the CD tray:

https://www.justanswer.com/electronics/66cnv-jvc-compact-component-system.html

I fixed the worm gear, put it all back together and it worked! CD changer flipped through all 6 CDs in the holder tray no problem. Haven't tested anything else yet. Tapes seem to work, hopefully nothing bad with the belts. They look like they rewind, ffwd, Play. All soft touch controls. Autoreverse heads appear to be the ones that rotate. Apparently a feature found on most decks of that era except for the highest end models. I'm sure the tuner and amp are fine, displays all light up and show graphic EQ and modes, tuning, etc.

Trying to get some speaker wires to hook up the speakers. Came with 2 Labrynth subwoofer SP-MXC7TN's (https://www.ebay.com/itm/274570294945). Seem to be "bi-wire bi-amp" style. That's why a manual would be appreciated or if anyone has experience, please let me know. Each speaker has a 6 ohm input and 8 ohm which are labelled normal and subwoofer. The system therefore has hookups for 2 pairs to each speaker (left normal and subwoofer, right normal and sub). I looked at some online guides and they suggest 16 AWG speaker wire is fine. Is that ok?

Any idea of vintage? It's pretty hard to get any info on this thing anymore. I'm hoping to extend it's life and suspect the only reason it was dumped was because the CD worm gear broke which was probably the last thing being used and the rest had obsolete formats (e.g. tape). I don't know what the market is like these days for audio equipment.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 01:24:39 am by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline edyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
Re: Dumpster dive: JVC CA-MXC7TN (Fixed CD, manuals still around?)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 09:21:31 pm »
[Quick Update]:

System seems to be in good shape. Digital EQ presets and manual presets work nice. Speakers ok, tape mechanisms on both decks seem to work fine both in ffwd,rwd and playing autoreverse. CD also plays. Tuner ok also. Nice overall but with this era "vintage" no Bluetooth functionality or support for Mp3 playing on CD or USB. Will have to plug in external player as Aux to test further... Will  hook up my Bluetooth dongle (1/8" stereo audio jack). I have a 1/8" to RCA converter as will need RCA connections up to the back aux/phono inputs. I also have a Toshiba dvd/cd/mp3 player that I can hook up.

I'm glad it wasn't completely trashed... Whoever dumped it left it nicely stacked knowing someone else may be wanting to bring it back to life.  :-+ I'm sure electronic recycling would have not bothered and scrapped it down to metal and plastic. Now to get some more info on it, a manual, date of production (it was made in Japan) or even some magazine ad from magazine so I know what year these things were made.

[UPDATE: Some photos attached of my system]

Ok, I noticed my system looks a lot like the CA-MX77MTN. I found a service manual and watched a YouTube video and it was labelled MX-77M. My unit is labelled MX-C7 on the front even though the back says CA-MXC7TN. Anyone know JVC naming conventions? Seems like this is a Canadian unit labelled with "C" but seems the same as MX-77. I suspect the TN stands for Tuner? Both have tuner, dual autoreverse tapes on top unit, and bottom unit has a CD and 6 tray changer. I saw photos of the MX-55M and it looks similar... But has manual equalizer controls. Mine has "SEA" system with graphic control EQ and many preset modes. Would be nice to see a comparison table or info about all these similar looking systems.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 05:29:57 am by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf