Author Topic: Dumpster diving save VFD  (Read 1204 times)

Offline MitiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Dumpster diving save VFD
« on: April 29, 2024, 10:37:22 am »
Another dumpster diving save of some… gorgeous … 4x20 VFDs. I like VFDs a lot.
Now I have to find the perfect filter for it. And an application.  ;D
Miti
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Re: Dumpster diving save VFD
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 10:54:23 am »
Wow, looks impressive!  :-+
Never seen a 4x20 characters of a 7x5 VFD matrix dots before.  From what device was it recovered?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 11:05:30 am »

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 12:37:17 pm »
I managed to save a load of 112x16 graphical Noritake VFDs from one of my former employers, they were all about to be scrapped.  Several have made their way into projects I've created.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2024, 02:45:35 pm »
I see a lot of wires, does this module have a serial port? Some of them have a small 3 pin header on the board for serial. I think it even breaks out to the parallel header
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2024, 04:30:49 pm »
I see a lot of wires, does this module have a serial port? Some of them have a small 3 pin header on the board for serial. I think it even breaks out to the parallel header

This is 3 lines serial module, but you need to supply 5V, 36V, GND, filament supply.
So what you see there is exactly that, 5 wires going to Arduino and the supplies to the module itself.

Cheers,
Miti

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2024, 06:43:53 pm »
Ah makes sense, I have a 4x40 module that's 5V only, it generates what it needs from that.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2024, 06:46:10 pm »
Wow, looks impressive!  :-+
Never seen a 4x20 characters of a 7x5 VFD matrix dots before.  From what device was it recovered?

I'm thinking payphone. The last generation ones with the texting feature.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2024, 10:43:22 am »
I'm thinking payphone. The last generation ones with the texting feature.

No, no, no, they are current production, brand new modules.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2024, 10:47:22 am »
I've seen current generation industrial kit with these displays fitted.  So not surprising they're in production still.

More lifespan/thermally rugged than OLED, wider temperature range (OLED really does not like hot ambient if you drive it bright, VFD doesn't care), they're fairly rugged to physical abuse, and they don't go blurry and slow in subzero temperatures.

But on the other hand high power consumption (makes it difficult for portable devices) and a relatively large form factor make them impractical in other ways.

Fun fact, Noritake make VFDs and fine chinaware for your grandma.  An interesting combination of abilities.

Online krish2487

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2024, 12:58:46 pm »
I've seen current generation industrial kit with these displays fitted.  So not surprising they're in production still.

More lifespan/thermally rugged than OLED, wider temperature range (OLED really does not like hot ambient if you drive it bright, VFD doesn't care), they're fairly rugged to physical abuse, and they don't go blurry and slow in subzero temperatures.

But on the other hand high power consumption (makes it difficult for portable devices) and a relatively large form factor make them impractical in other ways.

Fun fact, Noritake make VFDs and fine chinaware for your grandma.  An interesting combination of abilities.

Its not a stretch to imagine that the environmental requirements for both VFDs and fine chinaware are somwhat same.. :-D
long lifespan, rugged, wide temperature range and so on..
If god made us in his image,
and we are this stupid
then....

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2024, 01:12:09 pm »
Yeah, here in Japan Noritake are known for various types of high grade ceramics both industrial and kitchen, and of course their VFD's, including the Korg Nutube.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2024, 02:06:02 pm »
Do you have any source for a good filter, something similar to the HP34401 front panel, dark green, about 1mm thick, good transparency?  I can’t seem to find any, but I’m not known for finding things.

Cheers,
Miti

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2024, 02:26:40 pm »
Nothing that isn't available on Amazon. Grey smoked acrylic would do the trick.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Online macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2024, 11:14:00 pm »
I bought a pack of thin (maybe 0.8 to 1 mm) plastic sheets on Amazon, various colors. I think they called them acrylic but they were more flexible like polycarbonate. Used some for contrast filters on CRT oscilloscope, as well as VFD displays. My favorite color is "rose", kind of pale pink. It makes the VFD look white, by filtering out some blue and green. Can be combined with smoke for additional contrast. I've also used colored "gel" or cello or cellophane sheets, which are very thin. This needs to go in between the VFD glass and some other durable lens like acrylic.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2024, 10:24:10 am »
I bought a pack of thin (maybe 0.8 to 1 mm) plastic sheets on Amazon, various colors. I think they called them acrylic but they were more flexible like polycarbonate. Used some for contrast filters on CRT oscilloscope, as well as VFD displays. My favorite color is "rose", kind of pale pink. It makes the VFD look white, by filtering out some blue and green. Can be combined with smoke for additional contrast. I've also used colored "gel" or cello or cellophane sheets, which are very thin. This needs to go in between the VFD glass and some other durable lens like acrylic.

Yeah, gel sheets are good, though you do need to combine them with a rigid sheet of something. They are available in a large range of colours too
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf