Author Topic: DuraHELL batteries  (Read 42249 times)

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: DuraHELL batteries
« Reply #250 on: November 05, 2023, 09:08:29 pm »
I recommend fenix brand AA flashlights.

Gosh, they can't be accused of being cheap!

my dad bought me one of those black "tactical" flashlights and it works well, although the power on/off button and sequence of operations is indeed irritating but at least runs on an 18650.

Sofirn could be well worth a look (for instance, the SC31 Pro). Side switch, so they are easy to turn on and off, but also small twist completely disconnects the battery for long-term storage. They run the open source Anduril firmware, and whilst they can be pretty complicated to use with a single on/off button, in practice they are dead simple because there is the 'advanced UI' for deep configuration and 'simple UI' that most users will go with. Importantly there is never the 'cycle through the modes' thing that other torches do.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #251 on: November 05, 2023, 09:09:50 pm »
they seem good though to have quality emitters and solid construction with good user interface.

I think the twist-on ones are the best, IDK if there is any in production still that have that feature

but beware the big ones, they use PCB-house of cards style production with solder joints linking boards stacked like a house. Unreliable. If they used a real interconnect there, like headers, possibly beefy ones, I would be impressed, but it seems they put alot of money into the machining but cheaped on the electronics interconnect hardware in the high power one. because its not like they don't have high current PCB interconnect solutions for vertical boards, or right angle standoffs, or anything like that, which you can put in a expensive electronics device. When I took it apart I thought 'hmm so you don't care'.

for instance
https://www.nextrongroup.com/News_detail/104/Board-to-Board-High-Current-Connector.html

or just solder a fat bent square pin on. But of course some pro cheapass put two boards with a solder fillet

especially if you call it a 'search and rescue' grade light source  :-DD ::)

(if you drop it the solder joints snap)

I consider it kind of like putting old beer bottles into a concrete cinder block wall as 'filler'
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 09:20:37 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #252 on: November 06, 2023, 12:03:02 pm »
Maybe itis time to move this thread to "Dodgy technology"  ???

The following users thanked this post: madires, SilverSolder

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #253 on: December 08, 2023, 05:15:40 pm »
Another instrument bites the dust.
And these are the Industrial" series of Dura-Hell

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: jfiresto

Offline BILLPOD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #254 on: December 08, 2023, 07:24:18 pm »

Yup, I just had one of these 'Industrial' Duraleaks leak in a clock.  Luckily
I caught it just starting to form the white fuzz on the negative end. which was oriented pointing down,

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #255 on: December 08, 2023, 07:30:21 pm »
Follow up to my Duracell-destroyed Maglite from Post #245.  I never could get the last battery out.

I contacted Maglite and asked WTF you don't have a plastic tube or sleeve inside your products, to prevent leaky batteries from bonding along the entire length. Crickets about that. I also noted Maglite dumped Duracell and are using Energizer exclusively for some time now.
They offer a (warranty) Trade In Program where you can exchange for similar or trade up to something new and brighter. USD $15-17 + tax for 2AA LED or 2AA LED PRO.
But I have to ship the old flashlight back to them, and the thought of me paying to ship dead, leaky Duracell carcasses across the border is just further insult. I'm not sure the package would make it through US customs, resembling a bomb lol. It's around 85g but international parcel rates cheapest ends up USD $8. Supposedly I have to pay return shipping as well. Total would be at least USD $25 one way.

Option #2... I contacted Duracell, and after getting the "tips for proper battery care and use" document sent to me several times - HINT: do not look at or think about Duracell batteries, this will cause leaking.
They are sending me a cheque for replacement cost USD $40 :)   I'll let you know when that comes in, Warren Buffet might take a while to approve and sign it.

Last time a Fluke multimeter was damaged from leaking Duracells, I told them replacement cost is CAD $485 and their was a squawk sound from the customer service rep on the phone. They thought I was a scammer. They are used to cheap flashlights, remote controls etc. getting damaged - nothing worth more than $40.
Then they want me to ship the multimeter to Duracell, they will attempt repair. So insured package shipping costs a fair bit with no guarantee of the result. Just ridiculous.
Cheaper to buy replacement chinese battery holder pieces "shrapnel" as they call them, and stuff that in.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #256 on: December 08, 2023, 07:32:37 pm »
'Industrial' = heavy duty leakers? :scared:

The following users thanked this post: 5U4GB

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #257 on: December 09, 2023, 10:55:57 am »
We (the Royal We, I don't personally use them) go through quite a lot of these at work, AA and AAA, in laser levels. The green lasers especially eat batteries for fun, and I haven't seen a leak (yet), probably mostly due to the rapid turnover. I use NiMH LSD AAs in my levels, I'm not prepared to risk the hassle of getting one replaced. Incidentally those are the old colour, the new ones are grey.

I do have a couple of AAAs in my Fluke voltstick that have been in there for years, and I suspect the reason they haven't leaked is because they are oriented anode down most of the time, in my pocket.

There's a localised ad on Planet Rock radio at the moment that has an auto parts/service company advertising Duracell car batteries, with the slogan "trust is power", which can be read in more than one way...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #258 on: December 09, 2023, 03:27:07 pm »
'Industrial' = heavy duty leakers? :scared:

These are the first industrial leakers I had.
I was almost under the impression that these would not leak.
Bad assumption.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #259 on: December 11, 2023, 03:20:38 am »
Another instrument bites the dust.

Same it happened back in 2010 with my 54-II. Also Industrial Duracell, that at the time were Duracell Procell black, silver and red colour design.

But I was able to clean and recover it, and sold it 2 months ago refurbished to someone in Hong Kong.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 03:24:34 am by Black Phoenix »

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #260 on: December 13, 2023, 09:47:32 pm »
That's some genuine battery crud right there!

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #261 on: December 15, 2023, 04:45:34 am »

Guess what brand batteries inside?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Online xavier60

• Super Contributor
« Reply #262 on: December 15, 2023, 08:00:09 am »
Recently repaired an insulation tester  that was damaged by leaking alkaline cells.
I was please to discover that replacement battery box contacts are available.
There are many shapes and sizes, some having small differences to each other. The plates are soft and easy to trim if too wide.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32884289489.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.5.5e2e177f01EGEs&algo_pvid=c09b2160-54cc-43c0-a358-22b1c8286216&algo_exp_id=c09b2160-54cc-43c0-a358-22b1c8286216-2&pdp_npi=4%40dis%21AUD%212.33%212.33%21%21%211.50%211.50%21%402103251317078264055975123e4c3b%2165603139327%21sea%21AU%21130254308%21&curPageLogUid=J92E6aVfTA9e&utparam-url=scene%3Asearch%7Cquery_from%3A
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 12:14:24 pm by xavier60 »
HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #263 on: December 15, 2023, 11:06:26 pm »
Not actually Durahell, but I'm buying these because they aren't those.

So, off to Amazon to buy another set of GP Ultra. But, wait, there is also GP Extra. Hmm. Wonder what the difference is, so off to the GP website where I find there is also the Super and Ultra Plus. But nowhere does it tell you WTF the difference is (other than green, gold or purple packaging).

Anyone got a clue?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #264 on: December 16, 2023, 12:50:20 am »
Can you get their datasheets? I am pretty sure it is capacity.

Although there's always the possibility of sleazy marketing...
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #265 on: December 16, 2023, 01:04:10 am »
s/possibility/probability

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, SilverSolder

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf