Author Topic: DuraHELL batteries  (Read 41986 times)

Offline NoisyBoyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
DuraHELL batteries
« on: June 27, 2020, 05:54:48 am »
We have all watched Dave's video on leaking alkaline batteries (or attempting to make them leak).  I never took it seriously, as I often thought my kids had left the toys on and running the battery down which caused them to leak.

That's until tonight, I was looking for some batteries, and I went into my battery storage box for disposable alkaline batteries, which are all Duracells.  Out of the corner of my eyes, I noticed leakage in a brand new pack of batteries, and I took it out to dump out the leaking batteries.  Out of curiosity, I decided to check all the batteries. I found half a dozen packs of batteries which are all leaking.

Now, these are the premium cells such as Quantum and Ultra with 10 year guarantee, plus one pack of Coppertop, all with expiration at least 5 years out as we go through them quite rapidly in our toys.  In one of the Quantum pack, almost every battery was leaking, some on both ends.  The battery storage box is in a room that is temperature and humidity controlled all year long, and always out of the sun.  So the leakage can only be caused by defect or poor design in the batteries.  They were also bought in different time from the office supply store, so it is not a single defective manufacturing batch of batteries either.

Luckily, I replaced all my DuraHELLs with Energizer Ultimate Lithium in all my handheld test equipment a while back.  But for those of you still using Duracell Alkaline, please heed this warning and don't let your equipment ruined by leaking batteries. 

For me, I definitely will never buy another DuraHELL again.  I probably could have exchanged the leaking batteries as they are all in the unopened package and many years before expiration date, but why take the chances.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 05:57:14 am by NoisyBoy »

The following users thanked this post: Sal Ammoniac, Red Squirrel, schmitt trigger, LateLesley, zitt, MrMobodies, Trader

• Frequent Contributor
Re: DuraHELL batteries
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 05:56:19 am »
A couple more pictures.

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 08:42:21 am »
The battery storage box is in a room that is temperature and humidity controlled all year long, and always out of the sun.  So the leakage can only be caused by defect or poor design in the batteries.  They were also bought in different time from the office supply store, so it is not a single defective manufacturing batch of batteries either.

Something is definitely wrong here. There's no way every pack should be like that.

Maybe your office supply store isn't a diligent as you with their storage.  :-//

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 11:26:44 am »
The battery storage box is in a room that is temperature and humidity controlled all year long, and always out of the sun.  So the leakage can only be caused by defect or poor design in the batteries.  They were also bought in different time from the office supply store, so it is not a single defective manufacturing batch of batteries either.

Something is definitely wrong here. There's no way every pack should be like that.

Maybe your office supply store isn't a diligent as you with their storage.  :-//

Yes, that's very suspicious
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 11:37:09 am »

Where could you possibly store them that would excuse this leakage?  The sauna?  :D

It seems that Duracell is all about giving the batteries a nice glitzy paint job to look cool and advanced, but beneath the surface...    cheap, cheap, cheap.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearcat

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 11:45:28 am »
I've seen some storage areas that would make a sauna seem cool and refreshing.

Try a sealed shipping container in full sun, for example. We use them for storing materials and tools on sites, and even here in the north of rainy old England I've experienced 50°C+ inside one of these things.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 11:50:57 am »

I found this interesting chart from Energizer, which implies that alkaline batteries can be stored at up to 40C if you accept losing some of the stored energy over the years.

Offline E-Design

• Regular Contributor
  • Hardware Design Engineer
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 12:12:47 pm »
The storage isnt relevant for preventing leakage. These batteries will do this regardless of how they are stored.

Duracell is a crap brand now and can't be trusted in any equipment.Buyer beware. Beware of also all the duracell rebrands.

The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.

The following users thanked this post: bookaboo, BillyD

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 12:17:14 pm »

I found this interesting chart from Energizer, which implies that alkaline batteries can be stored at up to 40C if you accept losing some of the stored energy over the years.

(Attachment Link)

Interesting... it also implies that storing them in a refrigerator is best for maintaining capacity over time.
I suppose that makes sense, lowering temperature by and large slows chemical reactions.

As long as you don't cool them hard enough to form ice crystals, probably the lower the temperature the better.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 12:19:09 pm »

Are there any "known good" brands of alkaline batteries still out there?  Or is the only way forward to use lithium batteries?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2020, 12:24:42 pm »
I would guess the store is very aggressive in the pricing it expects from the suppliers, so the owners of the Duracell trademark, to meet that price point, simply use the cheapest OEM manufacturer to make the batteries for that chain, and then ship them by the cheapest shipping method, likely taking 8 weeks or more to travel port to port, and then gets handled only as low priority cargo, so sits cooking for a long time.

As to storing in a fridge, in the military the stores had a few display fridges, which were expressly there to store batteries, as they otherwise would fail in under 6 months in the stores, where your inside temperature could easily exceed 70C on the weekends when all the doors and windows were closed. They also were used to keep things like film and photographic paper, as film was still used, both for the hospital on base, and for other purposes, along with holding all the developer chemicals for the film, sealed in plastic bags individually per pack. Another few were just used to hold rubber parts, so they would not degrade, as the stores otherwise were not air conditioned, as most things were able to survive the temperature. Only place with AC running 24/7 was the aircraft tyre store, as they could keep infrequently required tyres and parts for many years between uses, and that was always locked.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding, duckduck

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 01:46:36 pm »
I think we all misunderstand the 10 year guarantee. Maybe they mean that their batteries are guaranteed to leak within 10 years after purchase.  >:D Anyhow, the different experiences with leaking batteries is amazing. I was lucky to get free samples of Duracells for some years and have put them in most devices. And I've seen only very few leaking. Can't say anything about Duracells currently produced.

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2020, 02:38:51 pm »

It seems the battery manufacturers all promise to repair or replace any equipment damaged by their shoddy quality product (I guess with the prices they charge, you are paying for an "insurance policy" with every battery...).

Has anyone ever made a successful claim on this kind of warranty?

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2020, 07:47:56 pm »
We had a number of Duracell D batteries leak and destroy a Lantern and the counter top the light was sitting on. Batteries leaked and discolored a new expensive kitchen counter top. My wife contacted Duracell and all they would do is offer to replace the light fixture (Coleman Lantern). We've also had many Duracells AA and AAA leak in various devices. We've removed all the Duracells and replaced with other quality batteries.

I wouldn't use a Duracell battery in anything even if they were given to me.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, fourtytwo42

Offline E-Design

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2020, 07:54:05 pm »

Are there any "known good" brands of alkaline batteries still out there?  Or is the only way forward to use lithium batteries?

I am not too sure about it (how can anybody guarantee it?).. but after reading lots of reviews, I have embraced the Panasonic brand. They're not the cheapest -- but to me, its worth a little extra cost for quality.
After a few years of using AA, AAA and 9V - I have had zero leaks. Not to say I wont ever, but so far so good.  :-+
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 08:03:50 pm by E-Design »
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.

The following users thanked this post: fourtytwo42

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2020, 08:01:21 pm »
I am perfectly fine with specific instructions for storage, but in that case they should spell it out and not make a vague 10 year guarantee.   

For those in the US, I ordered all my batteries from Office Depot via their website, so it is direct ship from their warehouse.

One thing for certain, paying more for the premium version does not mean they are more leak-proof.

This is the battery storage recommendation from their FAQ:
We recommend storing batteries at room temperature in a dry environment. Extreme heat or cold reduces battery performance. You’ll want to avoid putting battery-powered devices in very warm places. In addition, refrigeration is not necessary or recommended.

On Duralock, this is the claim that clearly does not work:

Ordinary zinc-carbon batteries contain fewer active ingredients inside and lose energy over time as chemical reactions go on constantly. Unlike zinc-carbon batteries, Duracell is filled with 2 times more active ingredients, which are locked inside a unique durable construction. It prevents battery leakage and helps the battery last significantly longer. Duralock is an exclusive power preservation system, which saves energy so effectively that your battery is guaranteed to stay powered for up to 10 years in ambient storage.

Offline E-Design

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2020, 08:05:59 pm »
NoisyBoy, funny you mention Duralock.. I just removed one from a security door entry system (it came installed unbeknownst to me) and what do you know, it was bulging and had a tiny bit of leak out of one corner.
Now, it didnt puke all over everything like the main Duracell brands do, but it was trying hard!

Got that POS out of there right away.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 08:07:40 pm by E-Design »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2020, 08:43:18 pm »

The one type of battery that is unlikely to leak is the Lithium type AA and AAA cells,  but they are eye bleedingly expensive.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2020, 09:27:32 pm »
Duracell is garbage but I'm still amazed so many of them leaked.

I gave up on alkaline batteries years ago, I use NiMH in everything now, even clocks and remote controls. I've yet to ever had one of those leak.

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2020, 09:49:59 pm »
I don't believe there is a good brand of alkaline batteries, some are worse than others but they all leak!

A couple of years ago I got really pissed with leaking batteries ruining everything they come into contact with.   So i decided I can beat this by changing them all every year on my birthday.   Shockingly that did not work either.   

So for flash lights it is rechargeables or the Milwaukee's that work with my lithium tool libraries.  As expensive as those flash lights are I'm pretty sure they have already saved me money when it comes to buying new flashlights.    The set back thermostat in the house had badly leaked batteries (still running of all things) so that was replaced with a round thermostat that looks like something form the 59's but is battery free.   I don't even care about clocks anymore as I just look at my cell phone.   

Honestly I wouldn't trust an alkaline from anybody!   What frustrates me is that so much portable instrumentation these days has switched over to AA batteries which seem to be the absolute worse offenders when leaking.   We have a considerable number of CNC machines at work with battery backup that use D cells and have not had significant leaks there.   Batteries from the same manufacture in AA size though are extremely problematic.

I'm not sure lithium batteries are the way forward as they have their own problems but they don't seem to leak.   The problem with Lithium is of course the potential for fire in some chemistrys.   The best path, maybe the lowest risk path, at the moment seems to be Lithium Iron chemistries.   Thee are of course rechargeable, but I've seen no leaking in Primary cell lithium's either.

All I can say is that there is zero love for alkalines here.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2020, 10:05:56 pm »
I don't believe there is a good brand of alkaline batteries, some are worse than others but they all leak!

A couple of years ago I got really pissed with leaking batteries ruining everything they come into contact with.   So i decided I can beat this by changing them all every year on my birthday.   Shockingly that did not work either.   

So for flash lights it is rechargeables or the Milwaukee's that work with my lithium tool libraries.  As expensive as those flash lights are I'm pretty sure they have already saved me money when it comes to buying new flashlights.    The set back thermostat in the house had badly leaked batteries (still running of all things) so that was replaced with a round thermostat that looks like something form the 59's but is battery free.   I don't even care about clocks anymore as I just look at my cell phone.   

Honestly I wouldn't trust an alkaline from anybody!   What frustrates me is that so much portable instrumentation these days has switched over to AA batteries which seem to be the absolute worse offenders when leaking.   We have a considerable number of CNC machines at work with battery backup that use D cells and have not had significant leaks there.   Batteries from the same manufacture in AA size though are extremely problematic.

I'm not sure lithium batteries are the way forward as they have their own problems but they don't seem to leak.   The problem with Lithium is of course the potential for fire in some chemistrys.   The best path, maybe the lowest risk path, at the moment seems to be Lithium Iron chemistries.   Thee are of course rechargeable, but I've seen no leaking in Primary cell lithium's either.

All I can say is that there is zero love for alkalines here.

Anything lithium ion is safe to use an ABC extinguisher on.. aka anything rechargeable is most likely lithium ion.. if its single use like little coin batteries, those are the ones to watch out for

I just keep a bottle of halotron in the lab since it is safe and wont wreak anything it lands on

The following users thanked this post: Larryc001

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2020, 12:36:11 am »
Now, these are the premium cells such as Quantum and Ultra...

A battery is a curious thing. It produces electricity by running a chemical reaction inside it. But this chemical reaction needs to have an "on/off" switch. It needs to start up (as if by magic) when you try to draw current from it, and it needs to stop when you leave the battery idle. It is already quite a feat to make a battery formulation that does this.

Do you know the experiment where you stick a nail and some copper foil into a lemon to make electricity? Do you think the nail stops reacting with the lemon juice when you disconnect the wires? No, of course it doesn't. Lemons are acidic and the nail corrodes, producing gas. So a battery with a shelf life of 10 years? Technological magic.

Now what happens when the market demands "super", "high power", "ultra" batteries? It means they put stronger, more vigorous chemical reactions inside the battery. These reactions are eager. They don't want to wait for you to use the battery. Given half a chance they will go off whether you take electricity from the battery or not. If they can't make electricity they will make gas, and the gas pressure will force the battery to spill its guts outside the casing. This is what happens to a leaky alkaline battery. The case is sealed, but given enough internal gas pressure the seal will break and the insides will get pushed outside.

The simplest solution to leaky alkaline batteries is do not use alkaline batteries. You can use lithium batteries in many cases, or you can take the green option and use rechargeable batteries. Eneloops are a fine option. Not only are they more powerful in motorized toys, you can use them over and over with no risk of leaking.

If alkaline batteries are needed, then "ordinary" batteries, or "clock" batteries will have a much lower chance of leaking. I have good experience with Sunbeam alkaline batteries from Dollar Tree. Even though the price has gone up a bit from the bargain 4/$1 in the past, they are still good value and I have yet to see one leak.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2020, 01:31:03 am »

+1 for the Eneloops,  especially the "non Pro"types (the ultra high current types are NOT as durable as the original 2000mAh formulation, so the latter are the ones to get).

I guess that is another example of what @IanB is talking about above, i.e. pressing the technology to the limit to get more juice out of it has some negative side effects.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2020, 01:44:28 am »

Just about anything is better than Duracell (yes, even unknown Chinese brands like "Warrior" are better than Duracell). Panasonic, Maxell, or GP (Golden Power) are consistently high quality (and I have not seen them leak yet; they eventually will like any alkalines but you at least have time to use them).

I would guess the store is very aggressive in the pricing it expects from the suppliers, so the owners of the Duracell trademark, to meet that price point, simply use the cheapest OEM manufacturer to make the batteries for that chain, and then ship them by the cheapest shipping method, likely taking 8 weeks or more to travel port to port, and then gets handled only as low priority cargo, so sits cooking for a long time.
The Duracell brand is owned by Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffett).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 01:46:48 am by helius »

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2020, 02:09:54 am »
Duracell are putting themselves into class action lawsuit territory for the leaking. They don't understand the batteries are powering devices that can cost 100's of dollars- not $2 flashlights and toys. Proctor & Gamble/Buffet just ran the old brand into the ground like all mega conglomerates do.
When I phoned Customer Service and flamed them, it was the usual runaround because there are so many manufacturing plants to blame, Malaysia, china, Made in USA - I've had all of them leak. They don't dare blame the cheap seal design or fix it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf