General > General Technical Chat

Earth black box recorder - fantasy or good idea?

(1/4) > >>

VK3DRB:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2021-12-06/climate-change-earth-black-box-recorder/100621778

Recording data onto digital media has a relatively very short life expectancy. The electronics will fail through wear-out within 50 years at best... no more recording. We cannot make the storage impenetrable (who is going to replace batteries?). There will need to be a door but we cannot let vandals break in and destroy the place either.

In my opinion, the best method of preserving climatic or other history is cave paintings or re-purposing the pyramids to store the information in the form of art. These are tried and proven methods. Fortunately, the Rosetta Stone was discovered and was instrumental in decrypting Egyptian hieroglyphics. Writing on special paper is a possibility using special inks and stored in hermetically sealed earthenware containers hidden in remote caves. All our modern buildings will be gone in 1,000 years. Australia has some very remote caves with paintings by Aborigines going back over 17,000 years... no batteries required!

Maybe better resources should be used to really think this out with a long term view, like 10,000 years. As it is, if we all disappeared off the face of the earth today, in 10,000 years there would be no record of our civilisation.

Ed.Kloonk:

--- Quote ---The black box will record backwards, as well as forwards in time
--- End quote ---

Re-write history and then commit it to permanent history. We can all see what they are up to.

xrunner:
It sez it records social media posts - like EEVBlog? If so, I'm all for having my important contributions to this forum stored for all-time.

:-DD

evb149:
Maybe if we just create some really advanced AI and put it in charge of knowledge preservation and dispensation.  And make it in charge of
a factory which it can use to repair / replicate itself and also evolve its capabilities.  Then you don't have to worry about failure of the machines / data
storage because every few years it'd be refreshed / recreated.

Wait where have I heard that before.....

Although I think the nuclear powered holo-librarian from "The Time Machine" movie (who outlasted the most of the species & civilization which created it) was a pretty nice "legacy" of an otherwise dystopian future devolution of mankind...

Of course then there's Clarke's Foundation...

It is an interesting question how many (insert scale factor here) bytes is needed to preserve the "essential" knowledge of human civilization up to the point of NNN,NNN years of advancement past early hominid stage.  I suppose a few hundred megabytes of condensed knowledge could get one pretty far toward
the industrial revolution etc. In the past hundred years the amount of research data and knowledge has increased exponentially so we're way into the petabytes and beyond range now I suppose.  Which introduces the other factor -- information overload.  As Clarke said
"any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic".  So if your audience is at a Rosetta stone / pictogram / stone age level, having the
human genome print out and molecular model would at best be "art" or wildly misinterpreted...

BrianHG:
Encode the data into DNA and enter it into as much biology as possible.  Incorporate it into viruses, bacteria, plants, algae to animals.  Make sure the record will be there hopefully as long as any earth life exists.  Do not rely on a static single structure which can so easily be destroyed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version