Author Topic: How do distributors handle errors/mistakes?  (Read 916 times)

Offline Max2018Topic starter

• !
How do distributors handle errors/mistakes?
« on: May 30, 2020, 06:03:05 am »
DELETED
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 11:19:27 pm by EEVblog »

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
Re: How do distributors handle errors/mistakes?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 09:01:05 am »
From very simple wrong information on the product page
Like mine say:
Die technischen Daten werden uns von dritter Seite zur unverbindlichen Information zur Verfügung gestellt. Wir übernehmen keine Haftung für Fehler dieser Daten.
over a picked the wrong item/count
Well I give them some options:
a) send back on there Cost
b) keep them if I need with discount
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 12:44:23 pm »
DK and Mouser have a "report errors" button, and when you fill out the info, they send you a polite, apologetic email indicating the error will be fixed.  (I'm not sure how automated these systems are, if it's a form letter, or the things actually get fixed in due time; but they do look at them and take them seriously.  At least a few have been followed up with a "yes that looks wrong, it has been corrected" message.)

As for shipping errors, call up customer service.  These aren't the cheapest distributors, and most of what you're paying for is convenience: stocking, quality, quick shipping and customer service.  Make use of it!

Typically, they'll send the item again, free of charge, don't worry about returning the mistaken item.  Occasionally the problem is deeper than that (the wrong item has been stocked) and a third try is necessary.

I've never been shipped completely wrong parts, like someone crossed orders or something, but I suppose that might be possible; they might ask for return shipping in that case.

I would guess shipped errors are less than 1 in 100, which is typical for the service industry.  (YMMV, I'm sure others have had poorer experience, and still others have never had a mistake -- keep in mind you need to average over all these cases, not rely on just your own personal experience.)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 12:52:51 pm »
Farnell has send me wrong parts a few times during the past 15 years and countless of orders. It is rare but it does happen. Depending on the cost of the item they have it picked up or just leave it. Either way they send me the right parts quickly.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 04:39:25 pm »
@T3sl4co1l
Already draw consequences as ignoring error reports and just refunding isn't what I expect as even LCSC (China) has better support.
Just curious if they are an exception or others have similar procedures. LCSC has problems with ESD protection (cutting tubes in half and using cling wrap to hold it together; wireless ESD bands (how do we pick videos) but at least they get the customer service right.

You'll have to be more specific because I don't see how that sounds better.

I assume they do some degree of filtering on reports, as it's a user directed channel and who knows how much it's abused.  My experience with it has been responsive.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Domagoj T

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 05:01:38 pm »
When I was registering my account at TME, I made a small error in my mailing details. It didn't really matter, the packages were arriving without issues, but it irked me. I sent an email to their support on Friday, and on Monday they got back to me saying the error was fixed.
Seems professional enough.
Not their error, but mine, still a data point, right? :-//

Although, it was confusing for me as to why I wasn't able to make the change myself and had to contact support.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 05:04:12 pm »
Mistakes happen from time to time. So I am wondering what your experience with the large distributors (Digikey, Mouser, etc.) is.

From very simple wrong information on the product page (ignoring reports or actually improving there site) over a picked the wrong item/count (just a refund like Arrow or mailing the current part) to more difficult ones like out of spec parts.
I've never had an error from Digi-Key. Conrad has been a bit problematic (I've gotten the wrong items).

DK and Mouser have a "report errors" button, and when you fill out the info, they send you a polite, apologetic email indicating the error will be fixed.  (I'm not sure how automated these systems are, if it's a form letter, or the things actually get fixed in due time; but they do look at them and take them seriously.  At least a few have been followed up with a "yes that looks wrong, it has been corrected" message.)
I've found Digi-Key to be very responsive to fixing product data errors. And they're definitely not robot replies, as I've had some back-and-forth with them at times.

The following users thanked this post: T3sl4co1l

Offline Zeyneb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 05:25:26 pm »
I too find Digi-key very eager to correct mistakes. Even before the "report an error" button, sending a small email pointing to the mistake was sufficient to have them correct it very fast and sending me a polite note about it. Orders from them are 95% (my estimate) of the time completely correct. Even on long lists of small items.

Conrad :palm: Okay they have some good items. But I hate their useless smartphone optimized website. And I don't wanna know how popular an 100 nF capacitor is among other customers. Ridiculously amateurish! But okay we where talking about mistakes. Not so much from my perspective although I don't buy much from them.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 05:29:13 pm by Zeyneb »
goto considered awesome!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf