Author Topic: Ebay - Does not ship outside US - How to solve it?  (Read 10762 times)

Offline YansiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Ebay - Does not ship outside US - How to solve it?
« on: December 14, 2016, 06:17:55 pm »
Hello!
Sorry for such small offtopic thread, but I have a small "problem" with an ebay seller. I want to buy some item (~$200 or thereabout), but the seller does not want to ship outside US. Is there any way around it? What would you recommend?

The only simple enough way I could possibly come up with is that some kind and willing person might buy the item for me in the US, relist the item again on ebay including shipping outside US (to Europe) and I would then buy it from him.  (Is anybody in the US willing to help me doing it this way?)

Or is there any much simpler solution to it, that wouldn't double me the price up?

Thank you for help!
Yansi

Online bingo600

• Super Contributor
Re: Ebay - Does not ship outside US - How to solve it?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 06:58:36 pm »
Use a reshipper

I use : https://www.shopusa.com/

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 07:28:38 pm »
And some things can't be sent to some countries, reshipper or not!
I would expect that most eBay sellers aren't working with the State Department on every sale of technology destined for a foreign country and probably just sell within the US.

So, part of the answer to your question depends on what you are buying and where it is being shipped.

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 07:42:06 pm »
There is no restriction on exporting that item outside US. The seller is just... well.. US.

bingo600: How does such thing work with ebay? (seems it does not!) Also the shipping cost is about $60, which is not an insignificant part of the item cost. Normally that would almost sure cost like half that.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 07:44:43 pm by Yansi »

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 07:42:11 pm »
Just tell him about the benefits of offering the global shipping program. The seller only has to ship locally to KY, and ebay takes cares of the international shipping and customs in most places. Still many sellers don't offer it  :-\ .
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 07:44:39 pm by MasterTech »

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 07:49:26 pm »
Tried contacting him again. Hope he will at least respond.

Still anyone from the US members here willing to help?  ???

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 07:57:28 pm »
Just tell him about the benefits of offering the global shipping program. The seller only has to ship locally to KY, and ebay takes cares of the international shipping and customs in most places. Still many sellers don't offer it  :-\ .

GSP can mangle a parcel at times, there are enough horror stories on the EEVBlog about them repacking stuff that was fragile in essentially a plastic bag, when originally it had been packed properly to survive transit.

Willing to take the lottery ticket?

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 08:03:42 pm »
Had used the Global Shipping Program quite few times, no problems yet! Knock knock... So willing to take the lottery again.

But still, he does not offer the GSP (waiting for seller's answer), what else can I do with it?

Offline magetoo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 08:35:16 pm »
Use a reshipper, like bingo600 suggested.  He sends the package to "your address in the US", and the company forwards it to you.

It's more expensive since you'll be paying for shipping twice, but if the seller won't do it any other way, it's an option.  Reshippers might also offer a service to repack multiple items in one package (for a fee), or help get costs down some other way.  I know some also offer to buy things from stores or Amazon, so if there are other things that are especially cheap in the US it might be worth it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 08:42:04 pm by magetoo »

The following users thanked this post: sony mavica

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 08:45:20 pm »
The reshipper bingo600 suggested seems unusable for ebay auctions.

Don't know any others, nor have experience using them. Can someone suggest reshipper applicable for ebay auctions?  As far as I know, you can not change the shipping address when purchasing from ebay - so someone (or the reshipper) has to buy the item for me.

Thanks
Yansi

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 08:47:16 pm »

GSP can mangle a parcel at times, there are enough horror stories on the EEVBlog about them repacking stuff that was fragile in essentially a plastic bag, when originally it had been packed properly to survive transit.

Willing to take the lottery ticket?

Yep willing. As far as I know and had experience with, they do not repackage, they just resend to a different shipper with added documents outside of the box
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 08:59:16 pm by MasterTech »

Offline magetoo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 08:59:22 pm »
The reshipper bingo600 suggested seems unusable for ebay auctions.

Unusable how?  I don't see anything to suggest they won't deal with auctions, and nothing else obvious either.  From the seller's perspective it's just an address, and Ebay lets you set up multiple shipping addresses (last I checked).

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 09:02:04 pm »
Winner winner chicken dinner! Finally I have successfully managed the seller, so he offered the GSP!  :phew: :phew: :phew:

But was a lot of work, he's not very communicative and seems not to trust europeans.  >:(

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 09:03:14 pm »
I use a US shipping address with my ebay account yet I am not located in the US - so it is totally possible.
VE7FM

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 09:11:22 pm »
Okay then, I have thought that ebay always forced a single shipping address... and that always was not recommended to ship anywhere else than your address, as the warranties (buyer protection) would become void.

But who knows, might have changed. I use the ebay seldom for many years, cannot keep up with the changes (if there are any).

Offline magetoo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 09:20:18 pm »
You may be right about their rules, I'm not a heavy buyer on Ebay either.  Glad to hear things sorted themselves out.

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 10:43:23 pm »
I use a US shipping address with my ebay account yet I am not located in the US - so it is totally possible.

I ship to my US mailbox enough that I know the ZIP code for Blaine (98230) off the top of my head.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 11:41:58 pm »
I have used Shipito once but one of the problems is that Paypal does not allow to add an address outside of your country. So the seller must use the Ebay provided shipping address.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 11:45:24 pm »
For Aussies wanting a trustworthy service from a big reputable organisation, Australia Post offer ShopMate for US to Aus reShipping:

https://shopmate.auspost.com.au/

Disclaimer: I work for AusPost (IT) but dont represent them in anyway, shape or form.  8)

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 11:51:34 pm »

I ship to my US mailbox enough that I know the ZIP code for Blaine (98230) off the top of my head.

365 H Street?
VE7FM

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 11:55:31 pm »
last time i tried that it went bust. on a  200$ piece of equipment ( a function generator) the shipping was 283$ and there was so much customs paperwork i gave up.. you need to know all the classifications and other blabla. it's simply too much hassle. experienced equipment brokers know how to do it. but for a small fry who has never done it. it'd take half a day just getting the paperwork done...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2016, 12:03:43 am »
last time i tried that it went bust. on a  200$ piece of equipment ( a function generator) the shipping was 283$ and there was so much customs paperwork i gave up.. you need to know all the classifications and other blabla. it's simply too much hassle. experienced equipment brokers know how to do it. but for a small fry who has never done it. it'd take half a day just getting the paperwork done...
Sorry but you overcomplicated things and/or got informed wrongly! All you need to do is fill out a simple form stating the name / model number and value of the item. Some couriers want you to supply an invoice but that basically has the same information. The customs people at the other side figure out which tarifs apply and so on.

I just checked: last time I received something from the US the customs declaration form said: 'telecom equipment', quantity, weight and value. That's it. No classifications, tariffs, etc (those boxes where left empty).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 12:17:34 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2016, 11:31:17 am »

I have dealt with customs in our country (somewhere in central EU) quite a few times (items from china or US). Most times, the paperwork is done within 15 minutes (plus the trip to the exchange post office). It is not easy for a newbie, but if one can look up on the web how to do it and benefit from others' experiences, then it is simple both for you and for the customs.
Also, the customs handle the item classification themselves. Here you just need to tell them what it is and that's it, they'll do their shit.

But am not sure, how much complicated is to work with customs in other countries like US.

Offline Bryan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2016, 11:18:25 am »
Had used the Global Shipping Program quite few times, no problems yet! Knock knock... So willing to take the lottery again.

But still, he does not offer the GSP (waiting for seller's answer), what else can I do with it?

Not sure why, but a lot of buyers bash the Global Shipping Program. Guess because it hits you with the tax and duty up front. But in terms of cost I have found it offers much cheaper shipping rates than what sellers offer when they only ship USPS.
-=Bryan=-

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2016, 11:53:41 am »
Not sure why, but a lot of buyers bash the Global Shipping Program. Guess because it hits you with the tax and duty up front. But in terms of cost I have found it offers much cheaper shipping rates than what sellers offer when they only ship USPS.
Global shipping program is cost effective if you ship a heavy item. As of low value, low weight items, it is useless. Not only you will pay more for shipping but also will be charged with taxes, which otherwise won't be charged because the value is under the customs limit. Also it sucks for those countries with high value limit before you get charged with taxes, like Australia.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf