Author Topic: EEVBlog an oasis  (Read 5902 times)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVBlog an oasis
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2018, 10:46:15 pm »
Although we added a Says Thanks system that seems to have worked well. It just posters know that their post was valuable and appreciated.

I kinda see the thanks as more of a "me too" or "+1" without cluttering things with another post.

Well, in the "General Chat" section a "thank you" sometimes has that flavor. But in the technical sections of the forum, I typically see it used as "thank you for answering my question", "thank you for some interesting information I did not know about" etc.. As mentioned earlier, I agree that the mechanism works well.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2018, 11:12:55 pm »
While I understand OP’s point of view, the internet isn’t all that bad. Sure, there’s a lot of nasty and foul people and attitudes out there, but when you know in which harbours to moor there’s a lot of excellentt knowledge and people to be found.

It’s a bit like visiting other places, cities or countries. If you visit the tourist traps and main attractions, you’ll find a lot of disappointment. If you look in the back streets and where the locals go, there’s plenty of good times to be had and friends to be made.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2018, 11:34:01 pm »
While I understand OP’s point of view, the internet isn’t all that bad. Sure, there’s a lot of nasty and foul people and attitudes out there, but when you know in which harbours to moor there’s a lot of excellentt knowledge and people to be found.

It’s a bit like visiting other places, cities or countries. If you visit the tourist traps and main attractions, you’ll find a lot of disappointment. If you look in the back streets and where the locals go, there’s plenty of good times to be had and friends to be made.

Well said... just look at IRC for example... long forgotten protocol but to those who use it still plenty of good times to be had if you know where to go..  kinda like finding that hole in the wall kitchen.. speaking of which I think i need to order some Chinese take out... the local shop here has this killer house rice mix with all sorts of goodies in it

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2018, 12:09:58 am »
Well, in the "General Chat" section a "thank you" sometimes has that flavor. But in the technical sections of the forum, I typically see it used as "thank you for answering my question", "thank you for some interesting information I did not know about" etc.. As mentioned earlier, I agree that the mechanism works well.
Yep. I will thank people who make an effort to provide a helpful post. Even if it isn't my question.
I agree. I think the thanks button is often overused, but also underused at the same time. I try to keep it for posts which I find helpful, so I can refer to them later, rather than me to, although I don't deny occasionally using it for the latter.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2018, 12:16:48 am »
The internet is like a world where you may go wherever you want, whenever you want. You get to see concentrated, pure forms of humanity in action, and you may see any and all of it, but for the same reason you might not wish to go to North Korea, you have the power to not go anywhere. While you may not be able to avoid mention of specific topics, you can't do that in real life either.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2018, 12:42:17 am »
@Floobydust
But then people collect karma and upvotes, as some form of currency.
That reminded me of linkedin, what a waste of time, account deleted  :). You get a lot of good advice from engineers who've been there seen it and done it and the forum covers a wide range of electronics related topics.

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2018, 12:52:00 am »
Hello,( I am sorry for my english )I'm from Czech republic, and in light of our forums, this forum seems to me unique.What I read is very professional without unnecessary noise, a small off-topic is difficult to defend in passionate debate. Because I'm decent raised, I do not see a reason for someone to help me or praise my project for this thanks, and thank everyone who cares about running this amazing forum.  :-+
Hajek Tomas as Edison  \$\Omega\$
Everything works as the weakest link in the chain

Offline JohnMc

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2018, 01:52:59 am »
Probably only half of EEVBlog forum members are engineers by trade, but I think just about everyone on here thinks like one. Highly objective input which really helps people. Contrarily, there are a lots of different opinions, but they are backed up with good  evidence. If you've ever seen a discussion about audio grade capacitors on an audio forum, you'll see the difference between EEVBlog and others.

Yes probably only half or less are EE's but I would say if the membership was polled that most are in some type of technical field. So yes I would think most people here think with a technical mind.   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf